Guest viewing is limited

THR Magsmom’s recovery thread

Good lord, when it rains it pours. Just as I started thinking “my hip feels pretty good today” I came down with a UTI. Hit me like a truck. Ended up in a local urgent care so I could get a US and culture ASAP. UA showed blood and wbc so I have a week of Macrobid and some pyridium.
these are infuriating to battle. I get them frequently. I have a pet theory that part of this is due to my stopping (a week before surgery) the supplements I take to help keep them away. Have to talk to my urologist tomorrow and my surgeon to see if I can start them again.
Now, I’m up and down every 15 min. Gets exhausting!
 
I’m sorry you have to deal with a UTI as you’re healing from surgery. Thankfully you addressed the issue and are on an antibiotic. I hope you find relief soon.
@Magsmom
 
Happy One Month Anniversary!
I hope you’re having a good week so far and you do something special to celebrate this mini milestone. Wishing you only the best!
@Magsmom
 
Thank you @Layla. Seems like it was 4 months ago. I seemed to make a pretty good progress jump from week 3 to 4. No major, worrying pain. Tylenol & Naproxen do the trick. I get achy and fatigued but that’s all part of this. Since my left knee is also an implant it tends to get sore as well.
I see my dr for first follow up on Oct 20. Hoping he’ll clear me to drive and do a little PT. Most importantly Im hoping to get agreement on a date to do the right hip. I’m kind of hoping right after Christmas so I can keep it in the 2021 insurance year!
 
After doing my left hip in September, I had my right one done just last week - Dec 27. I’m getting a little tired of the bionic woman jokes :) (I also have a left TKR and a plate/screws in my cervical spine.
This right hip has been soo much more challenging than the left. And that caught me off guard. I thought it would be a breeze since I thought I was so smart since I knew what to expect. Oh noooo grasshopper (anyone in US get the reference?) - not so.
This is a completely new procedure. And so I need to take my own advice of not comparing my recovery to others (or my own) it’s great to share our common questions, ideas etc but this is just not a competition.

I was discharged Weds Dec 29. By the w/e I really bottomed out ….throwing up, massive pain spikes and on an on. We called my Dr on Sat and he changed up my med cocktail. Huge help and after sleeping almost all day Mon and Tues I improved. The pain is still a little hard to get control of which is a surprise compared to how “easy” hip 1 was. I do use Oxy (5mg twice/day and no more than that) but also have gabapentin (for nerve pain) band something called Robaxin (muscle relaxant). Oh and Tylenol/naproxen thrown in there too.

Having both done is an odd feeling. I feel mechanical or something. Both IT bands and hamstrings are tight, tight , I’ve lost so much of my flexibility it’s sad. But I’m determined to get it back.
my follow up appt is in mid Feb when I’m sure he’ll clear me for some PT. So for now, I just need to sit tight and let this thing heal. I was very bruised this time. Guess I really got manhandled this time !
 
@Magsmom Welcome to the other side again. You are now a member of the double hippie club as well!

Yes, we always say every THR is different even on the same person. Sounds like that right hip needed a bit more work.

You know the drill! Don't worry about flexibility. All that will come back once that new hip is healed.
 
Thanks Jaycee. I am really trying to listen to what I tell others! So far I’ve been pretty good in NOT overdoing it esp as this one is more painful. My husband told me I’ve been much more disciplined about it too and I can tell as he’s not snapping at me nearly as much to “let me get that for you” etc! I’m actually starting to enjoy the rests. I have a great recliner w a good pillow setup, a couple of great books to read and a sturdy table next to it to hold all my “stuff”.
I still do find it hard to concentrate when reading though so podcasts have become popular. It’s cold here now (Northeast US) so I just don’t feel like going out. When I did the left hip in Sept, the weather was still so gorgeous here. We live very close to the beach so the boardwalk was the perfect place to go for a walk. Sometimes it’s challenging to do a walk in my neighborhood (recently moved out of NYC to NJ) as I have to stop alot and “update” people. They mean well and I’m happy to talk with them but I usually have to cut it short. I guess it’s Suburban Living 101. There are no secrets!

It’s hard to believe I’ve finally given in to admit I’m not Wonder Woman. But it’s a relief too. There’s a saying I heard once - something like “the best part about bashing your head into a wall is how great it feels when you stop”
 
Great saying you quoted. It takes time for our mind and body to make all the adjustment on hip surgery recovery. After all the components are new to our joint and it’s can be tricky to become acclimated physically and mentally. Something that doctors really don’t talk about. It is very true as the signals from new hip to brain need to make new pathways for a smoother journey.
sending healing blessings your way.
 
Hello @Magsmom
How are you doing a week after you last posted on the four month anniversary of your first THR (Lefty)? Happy Anniversary on that! I hope your recovery with both is progressing nicely.
I still do find it hard to concentrate when reading though so podcasts have become popular.
Boy, can I relate. I had a hard time concentrating and absorbing anything I tired to read for a few weeks. Kind of freaked me out initially. Thankfully it slowly eased until gone.

Wishing you a great day and weekend!
 
Monday the 17th will be 3 weeks for my right and 18 weeks for my left. Very slow progress on the right side. It has been much tougher to get control of the pain. I’ve been sleeping in a recliner -the back sleeping thing in a real bed is difficult. Even my “good” side (hip #1) is still hard to lay on for more than 10-15 minutes. And it’s been 4 months now. Grrr.
So I continue to just do one day at a time and pretty soon they add up. I’m alternating Tylenol and naproxen and will occasionally still throw a 5 mg oxycodone in there. Like today - I was in/out of the car waaay too many times and completely fried by the time we got home. So I need to take it down a gear for the next few days.
I’ve noticed that with this right hip, my right knee will also get sore (along w the hip itself) when I’ve gone overboard w activity. It’s not swollen or warm though - almost feels like some nerves are acting up. Sigh…
This is starting to get tiresome!
 
This is starting to get tiresome!
I can imagine you probably feel like you have been recovering forever! Two major ops in a short space of time. And no 2 THRs are alike.

Hang in there! You are not even one month out from RTHR. Ice that knee if it is complaining.
 
Yes today is a day to dial everything back. Rest, ice, elevate. I made a very poor choice yesterday evening and went out to look at a table for this new house we recently moved into. After already being out a good chunk of the afternoon. (I did not drive!) you’d think I know better by now. But no, I had to be a smarty pants about it……”oh I’m fine, it’s such a short ride”. But I didn’t factor in how big the store was.

I think I’m now the Chairman of the ODIC club!
 
Well…congrats on your new position, Madam Chairwoman! :curtsey:
Hopefully you loved and purchased the new table, giving you something to look forward to during your stint in the ODIC. :wink:

All kidding aside, you know the drill and I hope any discomfort you’re dealing with is very short lived.
A peaceful, relaxing day to you! :)
@Magsmom
 
Btw yes, I am buying the table and like it a lot. I’ve lived in a NYC apt my entire adult life but moved out of the city last year. Feels strange to furnish an entire (one floor!) house. But it’s great to have for just walking - it’s been sooooo cold here.
 
Your doing a great job.. two major surgeries and in a few more short months you’ll be thru the short term healing period the hardest part and off to see more progress on a daily basis Thru the second period of healing. Take it slow and easy …Congratulations on your new home…
 
:hi: Happy One Month Anniversary, Righty!
Hopefully your loving your new place and staying warm and cozy during this chilly winter.
Be safe, stay well and enjoy the weekend!
@Magsmom
 
@Layla
Thank you!
This one has definitely been tougher than the left one was. I’m substantially “behind” where I was at 4 weeks with Lefty. Not sure if it’s at all true - but the left one was done in September. Weather was still gorgeous and I wanted to be outside walking - even just tiny, short distances. I wonder if that had anything to do with pretty much sailing through the first hip surgery. Now it’s cold and it’s such an effort to bundle up. I’ve been going to the local ymca to use their mini indoor track. When I’ve had enough, I go to the waiting area, plop myself on one of their chairs and just wait until my husband is done w his workout. Even walking Maggie is a challenge- not because of her, but because I can’t bend down far enough yet to pick up after her. And there’s a lot to pick up - she’s a Lab/Great Dane, gigantic at 110 lbs!

Still struggling with sleep ……though it’s a bit better than a month ago!
and ……the best news is now that my hips are fixed, I won’t be getting a revision of my left knee. I’ve gotten enough relief in the knee from getting my hips right. I’m beyond thankful for that ….I don’t think I could face doing that knee again. It was just an awful recovery with 2 MUAs and an arthroscopic clean out. Apparently I produce a lot of scar tissue.

So I continue to do this one day at a time and try not to compare my recovery with anyone else’s

thank you for the good wishes!
 
You’re welcome! You’re a trooper and seem to have the patience necessary for a successful recovery, keep doing what you’re doing! This coming Summer should be a good one for you. You’ll be further along in the healing process and enjoying life. :egypdance:
Happy weekend to you!
@Magsmom
 
Hello Magsmom,
I just read an account elsewhere of all you experienced with your daughter at such a young age. Heartbreaking! I can only imagine how frightening it must have been for your family. Thankfully there‘s a happy ending to the story as your daughter’s health was restored. Prayers for continued good health for you all!
Thanks for your contributions here, I hope you have a lovely day! :SUNsmile:
@Magsmom
 
@Layla
Thank you!

Yes it was really quite scary. But with her cancer “cured” at MSKCC and her knee revision/infection taken care of at HSS, we truly understand and appreciate the access to great quality care.

Here’s an interesting extra. Her revision team included a plastic surgeon from an outside practice. In addition to Park Avenue facelifts he primarily does alot of reconstruction work for breast cancer patients. And also works closely w the HSS revision team when needed. He is their “go to”guy.

Kate’s leg was not healing properly for a while. It just kept oozing so much fluid no matter what they did and wouldn’t let her body start to truly heal. Infection was ruled out immediately. The PS said “I use this all the time in breast reconstruction but haven’t ever used it in a leg.” He was referring to injecting doxycycline directly into the oozing area. I seem to recall it “cauterizes” (my word, not theirs) the tissue. So, that’s what we all agreed to do. It was a tense week. 7 days of this. Not painful but they kept her inpatient for monitoring.

Fast forward, it worked beautifully. And Kate has a huge crush on Dr G!
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom