Guest viewing is limited

Made the Decision! I think?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry been busy lately. Well I did it my left THR is scheduled for Sept 10th. When I seen my doc last week he made me feel a little more comfortable about having this done. But! He will not do a anterior on me will be more of a traditional due to my weight he said he almost could but would rather not. He did tell me he has done several hundred closer to a thousand of these because that is all he does is hips and knees nothing else. He also stated that he does not cut any muscle they just move it out of the way which does make it a little sore but the dislocate ratio and recovery is a lot less. They are still telling me I should be OK to return to work between 6-8 weeks which still worries me, but I guess all I can do is wait and see how it all goes. One step closer to getting this done and over with. Also told me I should be OK for my Vacation/Cruise I have scheduled for 11/30/13.
 
[Bonesmart.org] Made the Decision!  I think?
Stillnuts, biting the bullet and getting that date set!!! Will get you on the September surgery list as soon as Jamie sets it up.


So know is time for you to get your reading list of articles from the library that are essential reading for someone who's going to have a THR:

Pain management and the pain chart
How Long Does Healing Take ......
Chart representation of THR recovery
Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy Drain for THRs
Elevating your leg to control swelling and pain
Activity progression for THR
Some suggestions for home physio (PT) and activity progress
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Constipation and stool softeners
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds

You know we are here to help in any way we can: answering questions and concerns; supporting and encouraging you from start to finish; giving you a place to vent, whine, complain if you need to; sharing experiences with one another; and having fun and some laughs along the way.

Take care and keep us posted. We care.
 
Stillnuts, I'm so glad you've decided to go forward with the surgery. Our hips won't get better on their own, and once you know you need the surgery, postponing it only gives the hip more time to deteriorate, making the surgery harder. When my OS told me I "qualified" for a THR, my husband's initial reaction was "OK! Let's get it scheduled!" I was stunned, and said, "No! Just because I'm 'qualified' doesn't mean I need to have it!" When my husband asked why not, I said, "because it's major surgery, and they have to cut you open. It's a huge deal." It took me a while to accept it, but what changed my mind (in addition to wise input from a college friend who had both hips done, and this website) was realizing that the hip WOULD NOT get better. My husband pointed out that I shouldn't have to go through another year of agony like the past year. He has watched my world shrink down, and my whole personality change, from the pain. Once I made the mental adjustment, and accepted it, my whole attitude changed. Now I'm really looking forward to having it done next week. This forum has been such an enormous help. I've learned so much, and gained so much confidence and reassurance. It is a genuine community. It's important to find the right doctor to do the surgery, and to get yourself ready, but you have absolutely made the right decision to go forward, now.
 
Stillnuts I saw your post on another thread about your daughter's fears, and your concern that you won't be able to do as much as you did before. If you have had the hip deterioration for a while, your muscles are no doubt stressed and possibly some have shut down. After the surgery, and some exercise, whether on your own or in PT, you will be better. You may not be able to jump on trampoline but you will walk faster and feel stronger. I am overweight, lots older than you, and other than swimming and walking 3-5 miles once or twice a week, not an exerciser. I am walking faster and feel better than I have in ages. I think my hip was in trouble long before I had pain. If that's the case for you, you'll be astonished. I am still working on rehab (going down stairs and long walks, specifically) but in terms of regular walking and just doing things, it is so much better.
 
Hi Stillnuts, I am a new Hippie, at almost 3 weeks post op, so still I am working myself through the recovery process.

I don't have a physically demanding job, but I am heading back to work next week. I will see how my energy levels go.:sleep: My employer is quite flexible is happy for me to work some days from home, and if too taxing just part time.

The get back to work milestone in the recovery path seems to be quite variable. I think the real question is understanding what are the factors that influence this variation and what can you do to influence those factors prior to surgery. My own "Dr Google" research and follow up discussions with medical (GP, OSx2, PT) we decided on a Pilates program (run by PT).

But even better you will be good for your vacation :yay:

Good Luck, as you can see there are lots of people on this forum who are willing to help.

David
 
Stillnuts I saw your post on another thread about your daughter's fears, and your concern that you won't be able to do as much as you did before. If you have had the hip deterioration for a while, your muscles are no doubt stressed and possibly some have shut down. After the surgery, and some exercise, whether on your own or in PT, you will be better. You may not be able to jump on trampoline but you will walk faster and feel stronger. I am overweight, lots older than you, and other than swimming and walking 3-5 miles once or twice a week, not an exerciser. I am walking faster and feel better than I have in ages. I think my hip was in trouble long before I had pain. If that's the case for you, you'll be astonished. I am still working on rehab (going down stairs and long walks, specifically) but in terms of regular walking and just doing things, it is so much better.

I agree with you I have had pain in my leg for several years now never thought it was my hip though! Glad your doing great! I keep hearing what you've said about it being much better and that's what I'm looking forward to and praying for most!:angel:

Hi Stillnuts, I am a new Hippie, at almost 3 weeks post op, so still I am working myself through the recovery process.

I don't have a physically demanding job, but I am heading back to work next week. I will see how my energy levels go.:sleep: My employer is quite flexible is happy for me to work some days from home, and if too taxing just part time.

The get back to work milestone in the recovery path seems to be quite variable. I think the real question is understanding what are the factors that influence this variation and what can you do to influence those factors prior to surgery. My own "Dr Google" research and follow up discussions with medical (GP, OSx2, PT) we decided on a Pilates program (run by PT).

But even better you will be good for your vacation :yay:

Good Luck, as you can see there are lots of people on this forum who are willing to help.

David
Glad to hear your doing so great I hope mine goes as smooth as yours sounds like it's been. My biggest concern is with my job I'm on my feet for 10-11 hours a day. My family and I are hoping and praying that I will be good for our vacation the doc said should be "good not great but good!"

Good Luck to both of you!!

It's so nice being able to chat with people in the same situation that understand how your feeling and what your going thru!:thankyou:
 
Stillnuts You will feel better. The risk is at about four weeks I felt so much better that I wanted to do everything and was still on restrictions. It is hard to go to a restaurant or movie dragging pillows and elevated toilets seats. So I was bored and frustrated, and had a tendency to overdo at home. Hosted my book group-exhausted after prepping appetizers and drinks for 7 people, cleaning up, etc. Increased PT-exhausted, etc. With each of these over-activities I ran the risk of hurting myself and extending my recovery.

Now at 11 weeks tomorrow I am still walking that line. And, I think that is about the stage you will be at for your cruise. You have to be careful, because the temptation is to do everything. Lifting heavy stuff is still difficult, but yesterday I found myself pushing furniture so I could vacuum under it. Didn't even think of it until I'd done it, and then I was stunned. That's what I mean. You feel normal, but really you still need to think about this stuff. Okay, end of rant.

For a job involving standing for 11 hours try to get as much time off as you can. Don't think I could do that, but then I'm not sure when I could have. My job occasionally involved standing for three-four hours as I sometimes ran events, so I was running back and forth, and at the end, I was whacked.
 
It's almost here, 2 more days (9/10) till TLHR, ready to get it done I'm but i'm still getting a case of little last minute nerves. Been really busy as of late so that has made time go by but being off my anti inflammatory drug this past week has been miserable. :groan: last week Sat I had to work a 18.5 hour day 90% of the time on my feet and thought I was going to die that night I hurt so bad. House and family is all prepared and ready for the post op me so I guess we are ready.
 
Good luck! The waiting will be over soon and then you will be healing.
 
Well today's the day! Getting ready to head over to the hospital in about 30 min. Need to be there at 8 for surgery scheduled at 10. A lot more nervous this morning. I know it's normal but why is it the closer it gets the more you start second guessing your decision and worrying about everything that could go wrong.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom