TKR Made it to the other side LTKR

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am so glad that things are looking better for you. When it comes to getting out of the bed, the first few days I hooked my good foot under my surgery leg. I then was able to turn myself to the edge of the bed to get myself up. If you add one 500 mg Tylenol with your Tramadol it helps better.
 
Another fairly good day, day 5 post surgery. Mostly working on my sloth skills. Getting in and out of bed a bit better, thank-you for the tip @Teri59! Struggling with constipation and trying different things to relieve it. Still using a walker to get around. Taking pain medicine regularly and fairly comfortable, though I know when a dose is due without a clock. Sleeping good but for some reason having to get up every 2-3 hours to go to the bathroom. Appetite remains poor. I get frustrated with limitations and tearful at times. I'm very grateful my husband is so attentive and willling to help. Exercise consists of quad tightening, ankle pumps, and heel slides, as well as walks around the house every few hours. Continue to ice and elevate near constantly. my knee feels tight, mildly swollen, but so much better than when I was in the hospital.
 
Struggling with constipation and trying different things to relieve it.
Here's an article that might help:
Constipation and stool softeners

Although, I must admit that nothing cleared the constipation for me. I had to send my husband on an emergency run to the urgent pharmacy, for a do-it-myself mini-enema.
I had to get a prescription for an aperient and had to keep taking that for as long as I was taking the narcotic pain relievers.
 
Hope you are getting your constipation taken care of. I had to use Miralax, it really helped me. I know about the bathroom trips, Over 2 weeks and I am finally slowing down! It how we get rid of all the fluid from the swelling and I think all the medications we get from the surgery. I also know the tearfulness! I would be upset at almost anything. Hubby would try to kid me and I would just cry feeling like I was being picked on... It will get better too! Keep up the good work Jackie!
 
I would think of going to the bathroom as my body ridding itself of all that swelling fluid. That's part of it, anyway. Keeping hydrated is very important just now.
 
10 day post surg- Have had several days of hip and thigh muscle spasms. I can't seem to get comfortable anywhere for long. I get up and move around often, just short walks in the house. Sleep is erratic, up most of the night one night and then sleeping most of the day. Slept really good from 5AM to 10AM today. My appetite is a little better. I am still taking 3 Lortab 7.5 day. my husband continues to do all the cooking, cleaning, and shopping. I did help pick up a bit today. Folded a load of laundry yesterday. I seem to be developing an addiction to home decorating TV. I continue to ice and elevate frequently. My life feels rather blah. PT starts Tuesday and my staples come out on Tuesday as well. This is the boring part of recovery, improvements are incremental, hard to find successes to celebrate but knowing each day is a bit improved. Lost my cane twice today, so obviously strong enough to hobble without it without realizing it. Feeling a bit guilty about not doing more around the house, though my husband is very supportive and reminds me I just had major surgery. I may try to get out tomorrow, even if it is just a car ride, maybe that will brighten up my blah mood. Or maybe I just need a nap :bored:
 
Good Morning @DixieHip. Chin up you are doing great. It is so early in recovery. Slow and steady are what works in the recovery processes. Getting out side is a big boost of moral. I enjoy just setting on the porch. I have been able to walk a bit outside which really helped.
 
Nap to your heart's content, but do get outside. I remember a drive Mr. Shoes took me on in week 3 of my recovery. We drove out to horse country (at least what passes as such here) and it was so nice to just relax and look at the pretty manor houses and fields and... HORSES! :horseriding:

It felt normal and good, and even though my knees still hurt a lot, being out and about restored my spirit. It's the little things in recovery that make the biggest difference.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • EalingGran
    Staff member since January 23, 2024
  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom