TKR Lynne's Recovery Thread<

I hope your day to day is getting better even if it might be different from a typical day to day due to your Cerebellar Ataxia. This is a marathon for all of us. Don't be discouraged if your "run" is a little bit slower.
 
I have Cerebellar Ataxia
Interesting you mention this. I had never heard of Ataxia itself until last week. I looked up side effects of a medication my husband is taking and Ataxia was one of them, so I had to look up this word. I was shocked, as my husband has the symptoms. He’s been taking Minocycline for a skin problem for about 3 years, one week on, two weeks off, repeating that pattern. When we read this he stopped taking it. Time will tell if his symptoms improve.

You have lots of time for your knee to improve in this very long journey of recovery. Each journey is unique because we all bring different aspects to it.

Hang out here with us, we have all had knee replacement. Though many don’t have the extra concerns that you do, we do understand the knee replacement issues. We’re here for you. :console2:
 
... I'm now coming to terms with the fact that my recovery is going to be different from others more so due to the fact that I am and "was" disabled prior to surgery. I have Cerebellar Ataxia. I have no balance, so I can not walk at all without a Walker. Even with my walker I am not able to go very far.
Point being my day to day is different

Hi @Lynne12168 and welcome.

I can empathise with you to some extent as I am basically wheelchair/bedbound for different reasons. I had my LTHR in December 2014 due to a fall. In October 2017 I had another fall (I am very imbalanced :umm: ) and after many hospital/specialist visits over 6 months I had a LTKR. The last fall caused my left leg to shorten by 5cm and shift my pelvis. Consequently I cannot stand without aid for more than a couple of minutes nor sit upright for long. I am on bone strengthening medication and have to attempt to walk twice a day ... currently 40 wobbly steps with a walker at one time. I see my Surgeon on 17 September with hopefully a date for a Revision hip to lengthen my leg. My new knee is coping under the strain.

Hang in there and I hope your pain is resolved soon. My thoughts are with you. :console2:
 
Your recovery will definitely be different but your knee will recover. What a shame about that wheelchair accident that left you with an ankle sprain! Some of your soft tissue pain could be due to that and some tissues can take a long time to heal. :bored: It's also normal to still have some knee pain at your stage of recovery. This is a long recovery and swelling and stiffness/pain can hang around for a while. No one ever called TKR fun.

You strike me as a survivor. You'll do well and it will make a big difference when your pain starts to back off, and it will back off!
 
@Jockette hello, how are you?
I really think I should call my surgeon again. I think he just thinks I'm nuts. I truly think something's wrong. I don't hear anyone else saying that they aren't able to bear weight. My surgery was June 13th, I literally can not stand and walk. I have to stand and just "toe touch" for a good 3minutes or so before I even TRY to move. That isn't right. I'm not due to see him until September 13th, I'm nervous
 
Calling your surgeon is a good idea, he will either put your mind at ease or look further into the matter. Do you like him? Do you feel at ease with him?

I liked my surgeon a lot until I found Bonesmart at about 4 weeks post op. I quickly realized BoneSmart’s advice made more sense to me, and my surgeon was telling me to do things Bonesmart said not to. I switched loyalties, so to speak, and have followed Bonesmart guidelines.

Do you think your pain might be more the ankle than the knee? Has your ankle been xrayed? What have they done for your ankle?

Do you have someone to go to your appointments with you? It’s always nice to have a second pair of ears, I know I have trouble remembering all that is said at appointments, often because the dr talks fast and the appointment is over quickly.

Let us know how things go. :console2:
 
Hi @Lynne12168. You should definitely call your surgeon. When you say you cannot bear weight, I'm assuming it's because of severe pain rather than, say, because your leg buckles. Is that correct? Where is the pain? The ankle? The knee? You need to see a medical professional to sort this out. Be sure to mention the ankle injury you sustained.

If you are not satisfied with your surgeon's answer, go to your personal doctor or even the emergency room. A TKR should not leave you unable to bear weight on your leg. The whole point of the surgery is to get people up on their feet and moving.
 
Hi @Lynne12168 I too would see if you can get your appointment moved forward. I am unable to bear weight ... but I know why and see my Surgeon again on 17 September.

Thinking of you. xx
 
I don't hear anyone else saying that they aren't able to bear weight.
Lynne12168,
I injured my ankle 5 weeks after my TKR, tearing two ligaments, stretching my lateral collateral knee ligament, and injuring my peroneal nerve (that area is still numb, fortunately it is a small area). I could not weight bear in the morning. Called my surgeon, asked to talk to the nurse, left a message I could not walk. His nurse called back ASAP and got me in that day.
A MRI showed the torn ligaments, yes you can have a MRI with a knee replacement, they just have to adjust the settings.
Call as soon as the office opens up and leave a message. In the meantime stay off of your ankle or toe touch weight bearing. Rest, Ice, and Elevate as much as you can, both your ankle and your knee.

If your surgeon won't get you in, call your primary physician.

I have been there, it is NO fun and so frustrating.

Keep us posted on how you are doing.
 
@Pumpkln Thank you so much

@Izabel thank you, I just called the office and I'll be seen Wednesday.
Do you mind if I ask why you're unable to bear weight?

@SusieShoes thank you, I called and they'll see me Wednesday. Its severe pain in my calf and shin . All over below the knee all the way down. Also just on the outside of the knee. It does buckle
 
Let us know what they say.
 
@Izabel thank you, I just called the office and I'll be seen Wednesday.
Do you mind if I ask why you're unable to bear weight?

Hi again @Lynne12168. So pleased you got an closer appointment. Let us know how it goes.

I cannot bear weight because I have a 5cm LLD due to a fall, have a misaligned pelvis and am waiting for a Hip Revision. Makes it difficult to get full recovery from my TKR, ie, I cannot walk (only hobble/toe touch with walker). Life is giving me lots of lemons at the moment but I am trying to make lemonade! Certainly tests the patience. :hairpulling:
 
I’ll also tag @Josephine to look at your case. She might have some good advice on questions you should ask or things to discuss.
 
Hello
Well I just wanted to say I did see my surgeon today, also got new x-rays which he said they looked good.
After examining my leg he insists all my areas of pain are due to tendons and muscles that are in need of stretching and strengthening. Prescribed a Medrol Dose Pack and said I should now begin physical therapy once a week to help.
Also due to my Cerebellar Ataxia my healing will take much longer than the average person. Mainly because I am not able to do as much.:thankyou:
 
I’m so glad to hear all’s well with the replacement, I’m sure you are, too. Did he comment on the ankle sprain?
Mainly because I am not able to do as much.
If he means PT/exercise, don’t worry:

Also keep in mind, it’s not exercising that gets our range of motion back, it’s Time:

Time to recover.
Time for pain and swelling to settle,
and Time to heal.

Our range of motion is right there all
along just waiting for that to happen so it can show itself.

In the general run of things, it doesn't need to be fought for, worked hard for or worried about. It will happen. Exercise as in strength training is counter-productive and in the early weeks does more harm than good. Normal activity is the key to success.

So be careful at PT and remember, if it hurts, stop doing it. Don’t let them bend your knee for you! Tell them you want to do it yourself.

Physical Therapy can be good for you if it’s the right therapy. Force bending or force straightening is NOT good for you, nor does it help.

We think we have to do whatever they say, that they are the authority, but in reality, YOU are the authority, it’s your knee. They honestly can’t make you do anything you don’t want to do. Picture all of us there in the room with you for support.

Your knee will recover fine with gentle treatment. You can always do some things to strengthen your leg later when everything heals. PTs seem to think it all has to happen now. They forget that we are recovering from major surgery! :console2:
 
After examining my leg he insists all my areas of pain are due to tendons and muscles that are in need of stretching and strengthening.

This is the most likely case. I had a "spot" on my left knee that took a full year post-op to resolve. My OS said it was most likely an inflamed bursa (the pes anserine) that hadn't settled down yet. At my one year checkup, he said to give it a little more time. Wouldn't you know... a month later it did settle down. Finally. And it's stayed calm and pain-free ever since.

Sometimes these annoying, slow, painful spots are just that: annoying and slow, but not really signs of anything worse going on. You already know this is going to be a long slog, so keep up your spirits and you will get there!
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom