• RATE YOUR SURGEON ON OUR NEW JOINT SURGEON LOCATOR

Your opinion matters so please click on this announcement to find out how to rate the surgeons you have worked with

You could also go to the Surgeon Locator via the blue nav bar at the top - find the tab "Surgeon Locator"

TKR luvcats recovery box

Poctdb

senior
Country
United States United States
Hundreds of smiling emojis.....all with mouse ears.
Congrats.....

Steelergal

Country
What a wonderful milestone! I'm so thrilled you're feeling more confident and mobile. Can't wait to hear all about the success of Disney! :yahoo:

sistersinhim

Country
brick paving so it's very uneven and not at all flat where tree roots and subsidence has made it buckle or fall.
Good job navigating that dangerous area. That was the cause of one of my first falls after my surgery. I had a cane, but my foot still got caught on a root and down I went. I have learned to twist and fall on my butt. That saves my knees.

Rockgirl4

graduate
Country
I am sooooo happy things are going so well for you. I can't wait to read about your Disney trip and all of the wonderful ways you get to participate and enjoy yourself. :)

OP
OP
luvcats

luvcats

post-grad
Country
Good job navigating that dangerous area. That was the cause of one of my first falls after my surgery.
I was super careful, but in truth, it wasn't quite as bad as I may have made it sound. There were no tree roots and the bricks were still well fitted. It is a prime tourist area so they keep it safe for normal walkers. I'm sure Beloved wouldn't have noticed the unevenness at all. For me, it was scary.

Thank you for all the wonderful encouragement! It feels good to share something really positive.
Of course, all that led me to over do things, lol, so still a bit sore today, but that is definitely how this recovery goes. Safe, safe, safe, adventure!, ice. lol

Our Thanksgiving will be very quiet. Just the 2 of us and I'm not cooking. Our local grocery does a very nice roasted turkey and we got a few portions. Next year I might be able to make the trip up to share the holiday with extended family. That would be pretty wonderful!

This year is frankly all about prepping for Disney. Inspired by @marieltha's thread about fun canes I have ordered some cat-themed decals to add to mine. Customization can only be a good thing and mine is boring black. Now I am looking at sun hats that actually pack. We are finally close enough to start seeing actual weather predictions and not just those based on seasonal data.

I'd just reduced my tramadol down to the last step, which I take right at bed time. I think I'll leave it there until we get back from traveling, as I will likely genuinely need it after long busy days anyway. My tolerance means that just tylenol doesn't do the job.

I'm packing some extra ziplock bags in case I need icing at night. Doubled bags and a towel ought to do the job well enough. No need to buy something else.

Now I'm off to have the purple redone in my hair. I'm having the salon do it for me this time to get better coverage. I need practice but that can come later.

Macknit

senior
Country
I can't believe we are at the 3 month (12 week) point this week...I thought it would never come!

You are preparing for Disney and decorating your cane! Packing sunhats.... Costco had a great packable one up here last summer....I don't know if they're available for your area still?

I'm looking forward to hearing all about the trip and maybe seeing a few pictures too! :) :-) (:

I'm off to work in about 5-6" of snow, and the worst of the storm isn't due to arrive until mid-afternoon! I'm still hoping the office will have to close tomorrow. It would be a lovely break!!

marieltha

graduate
Country
I like the free Accu weather app for weather away from home. They give daily for 7 days and you can click at the end/bottom and get up to 14 days. Their location for Lake Buena Vista has been accurate for us for Mickey’s House.
I can’t believe you are so far along in your recovery either! :catdance: Definitely calls for that Dancing Cat !

OP
OP
luvcats

luvcats

post-grad
Country
I can't believe we are at the 3 month (12 week) point this week...I thought it would never come!
One the one hand I can't believe it's 3 months, but on the other hand, I can't believe it's only three months! lol September is still so fussy. I keep reminding myself that July was fussy all through the first two months of regular icing for September, so there's no reason S shouldn't still be fussy, but I'm sooooo tired of it. I still know that doing them serially was the right decision, but I'm glad I didn't know quite how long recovery would take with both.

Yesterday was the first time I've ever had a 'process' done at a salon. Or anything really. I had my hair cut in one once, in France, when I was a tween and living there with my dad. My hair is waist length and always has been, with some natural curl. I'd much rather have a girlfriend or Beloved trim it for me as necessary. With the curl, if it isn't perfectly straight, no one would be able to tell anyway. But this is the place closest to me where I started having my hair washed shortly after my hernia surgery when I had drains hanging out my belly and had to be careful with my showers. When I discovered how fast and cheap it was to have just a wash, I kept going.

So yesterday I brought my own Overtone hair dye and my favorite lady applied it for me. The trick with this stuff is heat. I didn't use enough heat before. The color is much darker and I'm absolutely delighted with my result. It was more expensive than I expected, but for an occasional thing, it was worth it. My favorite part is how well the grey takes the color, so in my long dark hair I now have strands of what look like purple tinsel threaded in. It's fabulous!

Today I should get the decals for my cane.

Costco had a great packable one up here last summer....I don't know if they're available for your area still?
I am very fussy about hats. For one, I have a relatively large head for a woman and most ladies hats don't fit properly, but I don't like the way men's hats look. But also, I don't have what my friends and I refer to as a 'hat head'. I have a good friend who can wear absolutely any style of hat and it immediately looks like the hat was designed specifically for her head. Enormous sun hats, little pillboxes, cloche style, fascinators, it doesn't matter. She puts it on and it is perfect. When I put on 90% of hats, it looks somewhere between "you've stolen that hat, give it back' and utterly ridiculous. So I have to look carefully to find one that fits well and looks the correct style of ridiculous. I have one in the car that suits me, which I have embellished with trim and a tie, but it won't pack well. lol

Their location for Lake Buena Vista has been accurate for us for Mickey’s House.
I use accuweather all the time and I'm glad to see this tip for a better location. I'm excited that the forcasted weather so far will be perfect for us. Mid to upper 70s during the day, so I can wear my summer clothes, and not to chill at night so just a jacket or sweater will be warm enough.

My only other knee related task is to call the airlines and order my wheelchair for the airport. Dulles Airport is enormous and I don't want to waste my limited walking ability before the trip really gets good. We arrive around noon and that evening will be attending Mickey's Christmas Party in the Magic Kingdom, so it will be a very long, very busy day. Airport assistance is definitely the way to go.

marieltha

graduate
Country
LOL I thought you’d like that forecast. I’d be wearing wool at night! Or using it as an excuse to buy new Mouse sweatshirts or fleece!
Your hair sounds gorgeous!
The airport wheelchairs sound great for your new knees.
Are you trying to find a hat to keep the sun off your face or keep your head warm at night?

sistersinhim

Country
Ladies, you should take your chit chat to the Social Room. :thumb: This forum is about your recovery. Please tell us more about your knees' recovery. :flwrysmile:

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
SamBeans
Recent bookmarks

Top Bottom