TKR luvcats recovery box

Oh, I had to reread this and remind myself how much older I am than you are. (I’m the 68 year old “femme de certaine age” who thinks she’s 47-ish)
You know, I get caught up in that too...then I look in the mirror and wonder where "she" came from!? Isn't it funny how our brains have us in a completely different year than the body does....then I had this TKR and I think my brain caught up with my chrono age!:heehee:
 
now I'm worried the cold will bother me
I think I am bothered because it is still healing and any little shift causes noticeable issues. Really, it is already a million times better than it was pre-surgery. A cold rainy day last winter would put me in my chair with heat packs on both knees and ruin a whole day. So I'm happy to live with what I have, and I really do believe it is a temporary issue.

I am having to re-learn just about everything.
Thank you for the compliment. It can be hard for me to read some other threads and see how far and how fast they get back to all sorts of shenanigans. @Tykey for example. I just have to remind myself, as I joked with my PT guy, I couldn't play the violin before the operation either. I couldn't walk for years, and what I did do was not in good form. So not only do I have to heal, I have to get back from a completely disabled place which is its own separate adventure, just stacked on top.

Standing 30 minutes in a store sounds wonderful. Last time I went shopping, I ended up going back out to my truck where I ordered online from the parking lot.
I did not intend to spend 30 minutes. It was a combination of not finding the thing I wanted, but having to check several places, and 2 simultaneous customers with complications at the only 2 open registers.

In retrospect, it had a lot more consequences than I thought at the time. I've had a sore week and I think it was mostly Monday's fault. Oh well.

I'm still doing most of my shopping online, or in stores with carts.

I may need to consider Knitting..... after my prolapse surgery I took up photography
Oh my. I won't say knitting is always cheap, but it certainly adds up a lot slower than photography!! I've been busy for 3 months and I still haven't spent the cost of a decent camera. lol

how much older I am than you are
Yes, I'm just a puppy still. Patience comes a little easier every year, but I still have a long way to go before I get good at it.
Just focus on the imminent Mousekisses.
This is getting me through a LOT of frustration. I am in constant count down mode. At this point it will be here before I know it.

I lost a lot of weight in the last year, even though none of it was around the replacement surgeries. My clothes situation is weird. I have some really cute dresses with smocked bodices that fit great, but they are all sleeveless. I've been feeling the cold more, so it could be too chilly to wear them. The weather will probably be riding the line for my personal comfort between sleeves and no sleeves.
[Bonesmart.org] luvcats recovery box
That is me in Cancun a few years ago, having a fabulous breakfast with Beloved. That trip was really hard because I really couldn't walk. Getting in and out of the transport between airport and hotel was miserable. I would have to rest between the room and the breakfast dining room. The smallest step or curb was a nightmare, even with my cane.

I really need Disney as a way to prove to myself in a big way that everything is already better and many more things are now possible.
 
.then I look in the mirror and wonder where "she" came from!?
The first time I looked in the mirror and saw my mother was a huge shock, let me tell you! The grey around the edges was very distracting. I have solved this by overdying my hair purple. It's very subtle except over the grey! lol
 
I have solved this by overdying my hair purple.
How fun...I've tried a few colors through the years, mostly stayed with a blonde highlighted brunette, until about 3 years ago. I decided to go with my all gray. It isn't too bad, but when I look in the mirror and see my paternal grandmother (and my father) I even inherited their thin hair. Some of my children have this too.... so funny.

@luvcats I have to say I read your posts and I am so proud of you. How far you have come and all the obstacles with walking and traveling!!! You really have made huge strides (pun intended) and have such a positive attitude! We all went into this surgery in different physical attributes, disabilities and skills, so, of course, we will recover in different ways too.

You have set a great goal with the Disney trip and it will solidify your recovery, that keeps building on your fitness and weight loss!

I am struggling with waiting. I want to go walking with DH today, but he reminds me of all the information I've shared with him from BS and is telling me "no". :no-fin: So I'm sticking to my little routine of recumbent bike for 5 minutes.... 3 times today! I do have a goal of doing the 5 mile walk by Christmas...I'll start building up to it at Thanksgiving time and then see how I'm adjusting. I may have to wait until after the New Year too...I know how important it is to take this slowly!
 
Lived the Cancun picture, especially your braid, even though you were uncomfortable.
Thanks for sharing.
 
Many a thread as this serves to keep my head on straight that healing will come. And that we can be productive again. I am really appreciative for this.
 
I decided to go with my all gray.
I don't mind the grey. Mine is quite striking with very dark hair and then bright silver streaks. I'm just using a semi-permanent overdye for fun. I always wanted to do something fun and dramatic, but I've never wanted to do the bleach and dye process. It is horrible for your hair, and mine is waist length and has been for decades. I'm not about to wreck it with bleaching. But when someone came out with a conditioner that leaves color rich enough for brown hair, all my dreams were finally answered! It really helps right now because my hair is only about half volume. I had to be on wafarin for 3 months last spring and almost half my hair fell out. "Rare side effect" indeed. Hrumph. The fun purple tint distracts me from how thin it is. It's growing back but waist length takes a few years.

You have set a great goal with the Disney trip and it will solidify your recovery, that keeps building on your fitness and weight loss!
This planned trip has been great for helping me stick to my goals. I might not be willing to push as hard for recovery faster if I didn't have a real goal in mind. It's also been good for getting me back on my weight loss plan. I need to lose the 10 lbs I plan to gain with all the lovely food we're going to eat! Since I won't be walking 8 miles a day like Beloved, I probably won't burn it all off. It's a price I'm willing to pay!

I do have a goal of doing the 5 mile walk by Christmas.
It's good that your DH is helping you take it easy. It is very difficult to do. I find that Beloved wants to push me a bit more than I'm comfortable with. At least he did yesterday.
5k by Xmas is pretty ambitious after 3 months of couch time. The question is, how fit were you before surgery?

Lived the Cancun picture
Thanks. It was an amazing trip and the challenges were just part of my every day life at that point. I didn't really focus on it at the time. Its just now, looking forward to a trip where those things won't be an issue that I have let myself realize how awful some things were to deal with.

Many a thread as this serves to keep my head on straight that healing will come.
That's what this forum is really all about I think. Sharing your experiences with others in the same situation. Even when we're just whinging a bit, it helps when someone else says "oh yes, when I was in that situation, this is how it went for me." It makes a huge difference to know you aren't alone and that others have experienced and gotten past your challenge of the moment.
 
Yesterday was a good day.
We had a lovely meal out with some friends to plan a trip we are going to take together. It's going to be a cruise in March. Cruising is such an economical way to take a trip. I'm hoping that by end of March I won't need any special accommodations for my knees. We shall see. But it's still exciting to be planning our next trip.

We also went out to buy holiday lights. This didn't go as well as we'd expected in terms of finding what we wanted. We wound up having to go to 2 places and never did find what we really wanted. But the important part here is, I walked 2 large stores. I did use a shopping cart for stability, but I don't know that I really needed it. I walked at what I think of as 'normal human' speed instead of my old slow hobble. And this morning I feel fine! And that's the important bit. I slept really well and aching in my legs didn't bother me. This morning I'm normal morning stiff, but not extra sore.
Another huge milestone!
 
I walked at what I think of as 'normal human' speed instead of my old slow hobble. And this morning I feel fine!

What a magnificent achievement! I’m so happy for you!

PS Love your lighting plans and treks, also. I can hear my reindeer tapping their hooves in their storage tubs, ready to come out. Fa la la!
 
It really helps right now because my hair is only about half volume. I had to be on wafarin for 3 months last spring and almost half my hair fell out. "Rare side effect" indeed. Hrumph. The fun purple tint distracts me from how thin it is. It's growing back but waist length takes a few years.

Do you mind if I ask what brand conditioner leaves a color behind? If I'm understanding your post.... I too had hair thinning because of a medication I was on, and have used an herbal rosemary, eucalyptus, serum that is truly helping growth...but an added dimension of color sounds like a perfect solution until growth is back.

The question is, how fit were you before surgery?
Well, I worked very hard over the summer to walk every day and was at my lowest weight in many years....after surgery when doing vitals, one of the nurses asked me if I was very active....which I had been up to that point, I laughed and said, "well, I try"....her confirming answer was, "I can hear your deep breathes even into the lowest parts of your lungs....I'd say that is active!" So, I was in better shape than I had been and was still doing PT for my back, but "pre-hab" for my knee.

I think that level of fitness and activity is why I struggle with the waiting part right now...However, I had some set backs with walking too far early on and then swelling substantially (as you know) and so I am just daily trying to find the right balance! :good-bad:I'm working on taking each day mindfully aware of just this day and not overdoing it!
 
I can hear my reindeer tapping their hooves in their storage tubs, ready to come out.
We adore having the lights out every year when the days are so very short. It really helps me deal with them to have the sparkle of the bright colors glowing in the windows. It's a little early, but with Thanksgiving so late this year, we may put them up early if there is a nice weekend between now and then. In Colorado we always put them up the first nice weekend in November because by Thanksgiving we'd often have snow and I didn't want Beloved on a ladder with snow on the ground. Not a problem you have to work around in FL. lol

Do you mind if I ask what brand conditioner leaves a color behind?
It's called Overtone. They have their own website and lots and lots of colors. If your hair is more towards blond you'll have a lot more options. It's just a thick conditioner that goes on clean, dry hair and lasts a few months. It mostly washes out of the t-shirt I wear when I do the application, although the white pillowcase takes more washes to be white rather than pink.
 
September hasn't really been hurting more than usual, but today when I put my leggings on for a trip to the rec center I noticed that she's swollen enough to notice. So this afternoon I'll be having ice with my knitting. Almost certainly a side effect of Saturday's shopping.

I did my 20 minutes on the elliptical. I didn't have any trouble starting up, but I'm still positioning my feet to get maximum stretch half way through. I think next trip I'm going to lower the seat another click. I don't get full extension that way, but working on the flex is what I need. Both legs are very straight already.

I am running into the usual issue with knitting. Oh, I want this yarn. And those needles. And I want to make this so I'll need that... It's why I have 6 giant totes full of fabric in my closet. I really need to curb that. Which is of course why I'm going to the good yarn shop, maybe later today. I have a specific project I want to make and I want to talk to someone knowledgeable about the specific yarn I should use. Which is almost certainly an excuse, but let's all pretend we believe that, ok? It will be a shop for walking and standing practice, plus interaction with new humans.
 
You are quite artful in your descriptions about buying supplies as part of your recovery therapy. Uplifting and entertaining.

I am already thinking about writing Christmas cards (still have some folks who exchange actual cards, not e-cards) as part of the right hand shoulder recovery therapy. I’m sure I can expand that to a shopping trip to benefit the knees, following your example.
 
How exciting....I haven't been to a yarn shop in years because of my propensity to continue to add to my "yarn stash". About 10 years ago I did spend most of my time online yarn shopping....which now has created the amount of yarn I have. So my goal with yarn and knitting is to browse my own shop often :loveshwr:. However, I won't start a new project until I complete the 4 I have started! I did finish a few when we moved to this side of the mountains, then this summer I was able to start catching up once the brain fog from surgeries wore off. I feel like I have a good routine now for our winter months! Evenings and weekends.

I did my 1/10th walk yesterday and today...I use the carbon fiber trekking poles which also work out the upper body. I have several sore muscles in areas other than my knees:oyvey:. I am pleased though, because that means Mrs. Doubtfire is adjusting and the ole' body is getting a good workout, without overdoing it!
 
@marieltha I have a gift for rationalizing. lol. I can make almost anything work.

@Macknit I've been avoiding fabric stores for the same reason. I'm trying to not get too crazy with the yarn stash. I just have so many ideas... But the project I have in mind is cozys for water bottles for my mother and sister. Since Xmas is handy, it would be nice to make them a priority. And a pair of thin, fingerless gloves, now that I know mittens aren't hard, for my grandmother. She said her arthritis is really bad and she doesn't enjoy knitting any more. Which is just wrong and messes with my worldview.

Winter days just really beg for craft work, don't they?

Well done on getting out and walking. I know all about the sore muscles in other places than knees.

But Beloved just got back from lunch and he says the roads are insane so no yarn store for me. I guess I'll go seam up my other mitten so that's done and go back to my new not-hat.
 
This morning September is swollen. Not sure if it's from shopping over the weekend, or something else. July is a bit swollen too. It might be from working the bend hard yesterday on the elliptical.

I went to the pool anyway. Some gentle lymphatic action and soaking in chill water couldn't hurt much and it's really good for the rest of my body.
Busy day today. Pool, knitting group, finishing that dadgum mitten I still haven't seamed up. WW tonight.

A real winter storm is blowing in. I wonder if that is part of my knee problem?

As I've mentioned, I'm on a medically supervised taper off Tramadol, which I was on for about 2 years before surgery because I'd been told I wasn't a good candidate. I'm very grateful I found a better surgeon. I've gotten low enough that I switched from extended release to the same amount of the shorter acting and this particular step is surprisingly difficult. I must remember to tell my specialist about it. I didn't expect the switch, but at the same general dose, to be it's own step. It's affecting my sleep again, and this round is causing headaches. I'm sure it will only be a few days and I can take tylenol for the headache. Just another part of the recovery I didn't really expect. I'm glad to be getting off it. I think the fact that my knees haven't really hurt after shopping has more to do with tramadol than that they don't actually hurt. I tend to forget about that.

One of the things I am now able to do more of is write. Pain is not sucking out my life, both post surgical and just life pain from horrible bone on bone grinding every minute of the day. I'm proud to say I just had an article published online. It's about Holidays and food sensitivities.
 
Congrats on the article! Very exciting! I'm a bit swollen today as well and am fully blaming the sudden cold weather. I don't want to blame my new stationary bike riding ability because it feels so good when I get to pedal for 10 minutes each day. :biking:
 

Members online

Back
Top Bottom