Guest viewing is limited

TKR luvcats recovery box

Hmmm. Have you considered a very low dose of tramadol through Disney and the holidays?
 
Hmmm. Have you considered a very low dose of tramadol through Disney and the holidays?
Yes. I also discussed it with the doctor. If I can get down to just the smallest dose of tramadol at need, rather than a physical dependence, that is the goal. But I will have that lower dose available to me at Disney as needed.

The holidays are less of an issue. We wont travel this year and our families are at quite a distance. So other than using any excuse to put.up colored lights, the holidays are very quiet for us.
 
I started seeing my chiropractor at 4 weeks post op. I went twice a week for the next 4 weeks. Because I had met my deductible, it only cost $9 per session! :happydance: It was usually $40.
 
I have a chiropractor in the clinic I go to for PT. I haven't visited since the surgery on my spine in July, so I have to have a conversation about when is really the right time to return....since L1-5 and in between have narrowed openings I don't want to risk some damage....
I read somewhere that bones take roughly 12 weeks to heal, but also to wait 6 months after procedures!
 
Great plan.
I just ordered purple lights.
 
Last edited:
@Jockette I wish my insurance covered the chiropractor. sigh.

I just ordered purple lights.
You can't go wrong with purple. Our holiday lights are a mix of the usual multi, preferable the ones with purple, and the silver-white LEDs. And we have bubble lights for the tree. And just talking about it makes me want to go bake cookies. lol

I did get the full afternoon of knitting and ice that I needed yesterday. I still had more trouble than I should getting to sleep. I need to rethink the schedule on my meds.

Today is supposed to be lovely so we're meeting some friends for lunch in a new place. It's amazing how much more willing I am to try new places, even though my legs are still weak.

I am having trouble getting my daily therapy exercises in. I need to be a lot better about that. There is so much weakness and imbalance in the muscles they really need the help. It's not like the exercises are onerous, I just forget to prioritize them now that I'm feeling better. I know that's a trap.
 
My insurance only covers it in certain circumstances. I have to be seeing the chiropractor frequently for a specific reason, and I think for only a certain number of visits, thus the twice a week for 4 weeks fit the criteria.

Since I had met my deductible with the surgery ($4000 deductible!) the insurance covered the chiropractic. After that month I was back to $40 a visit and less frequently.
 
Insurance...sigh! I currently have a wellness rider attached to our health plan, it's $250 deductible and up to $1000, which my Chiro does a great job managing, this also includes acupuncture and massage! But it will be gone at retirement :chinstroke:... I just count it as one of my many blessings!!
 
Insurance...sigh!
I think that about sums up the entire US experience. lol

Yesterday we had a lovely outing. We met some friends downtown at a restaurant we'd never been to. It was lovely to see them. I think we are all planning a cruise together in March, when the weather is terrible and we're all very tired of winter. Cruises are the most economical way to vacation, I swear.

It was pretty amazing to be able to not worry about walking from the parking lot to the restaurant. It was a whole block! And then the restaurant door was actually around the corner on the other street. And it was all FINE!!! In the past, that little walk would have been a misery. Then after a lovely meal, we walked across the street and down a bit to a new park area with benches close to the waterfront. It was such a glorious day. Clear and crisp and sunny in the way of a perfect fall day. Beloved went off for a bit of a serious walk. I was able to stand and talk to our friends for several minutes and then I sat on a bench enjoying the sun on my back and watching little kids at play in the park. It felt so wonderful to be out enjoying life.

Today my knees are a little sore, a perfectly reasonable amount. But my hip hates me with a surprising ferocity. It feels like some strained ligaments. I'm not sure, specifically, what I did, but I'm sure it's related to my changed gait and doing more walking than I have in months.

Between the rain, my sore hip, not quite enough sleep, and my realization at how far I have to go to achieve 'normal' mobility, I'm a bit depressed. sigh.

Only 49 days until Disney though. That helps.
 
That’s so nice you have such a nice waterfront area to go to, close by.

I’m close to the Delaware Bay, but there’s nothing happening, teeny strip of beach, and nothing impressive to look at. I’m about an hour from the ocean but we don’t go very often.
 
@luvcats, most recently we lived in Portland, OR for 12 years. We have been lucky enough to also live in multiple other ocean waterfront towns, (thanks to our 20 years in the military.) However, now in Central Oregon our water exposure is limited to small mountain lakes and many rivers in the woods. I love where we are now, but nothing compares to the ocean front!! Your day sounds like it was well worth the increased soreness (I hope anyway!)

I never considered the fact that a cruise is the most economical way to vacation...more fuel for my Alaskan cruise dreams!! have a great week!
 
@luvcats, what fun to be able to go out to eat, and then spend a while down by the waterfront! I am so glad that you got out of "TKR jail" and got to go out and enjoy life again. Good for you to be able to walk a block from the parking lot to the restaurant, and back, and then to the park and back! Your recovery is progressing beautifully.

It seems to me that Disney requires a lot of walking. But then, I've never been to Disney World, and it's been 38 years since I went to Disneyland. Anyway it's good that you are able to walk so far already.
 
However, now in Central Oregon our water exposure is limited to small mountain lakes and many rivers in the woods.
I'm actually more of a rivers and forest girl. For whatever reason, the power of the ocean doesn't call to me except when we are really out in it.

Our waterfront here is the Potomac River. Pleasant, but I don't find her magical the way I do the Colorado or the upper Hudson.

When we cruise, we love to get an 'outside' room, which is one of the ones low down with just a window, not a balcony. At night I open the curtains and watch the moon and the running lights over the shift and play of the waves and the wake. It's completely mesmerizing.
I never considered the fact that a cruise is the most economical way to vacation...more fuel for my Alaskan cruise dreams!!
If you consider the cost of a cruise and compare it to the cost of say, a driving trip through Alaska on approximately the same route, adding up gas, lodging, and food, I think you'll find they come surprisingly close. Then consider that on a cruise you don't have to drive, you only have to unpack once, the food is excellent (much better than cheap travel food), and there is excellent entertainment. It's hard to go wrong with a cruise. The Caribbean (why is my brain convinced that has 2 'r's?) is particularly inexpensive. Although a much longer plane ride for you than me.

It seems to me that Disney requires a lot of walking.
Yes, but no. Lol. It is very easy to walk 8 or 10 miles a day in one of the Disney parks. I will be getting a scooter. We actually started planning this trip back before we even knew I'd be able to get my knees done. Disney can really handle most levels of disability. They have scooters you can rent at any of the parks. I plan to be able to walk well through the hotel and in and out of the parks, and have a scooter for the long days. Just being able to get up for bathroom trips or shopping or minor things will be really wonderful.
 
It's hard to believe it's Wednesday already!
My habit has been to spend time on this forum in the mornings, but now that Beloved has gone back to commuting to the office most days, my mornings are now a lot shorter!

My hip is just now starting to forgive me for whatever I did that made it so angry on Sunday. I'll be talking to my PT about that today. I've been icing my hip more than my knees and taking antiinflammatories to help it recover.

I've still been able to hit the seated elliptical Monday and Tuesday. I'm trying for 15 minutes 4 days this week with only supervised PT on Wednesdays. That's enough. If 15 mins continues to go well, I'm going to swap in the pool instead on Tuesday and Thursday and start doing more walking. That will really help with posture and gait and it's only a little bit more than a month until Disney!!

Monday I saw the podiatrist. Mostly I wanted to know if my insurance would cover custom orthotics since I've had my knees redone. They apparently still only cover them if you are diabetic. The doctor said my insurance was one of the worst. If you need surgery or the hospital, that's all easy, but on a lot of the preventative stuff or mitigation, thats where they nickle and dime. We talked a bit about shoes, I asked a few questions, and I got the commercial orthotics that he prefers with some extra padding he can add to the heels. I'll wait until I'm doing a lot more walking and see how my feet feel before I invest.

Yesterday was knitting group. There were a lot more people this week. Everyone continues to be welcoming and I think it will be a regular thing.

The rest of both mornings was errands.
Oh! Last Friday I forgot something important at the grocery store so I had to go get it Monday. The assistance cart I used had a battery issue and after I dropped it at customer service, instead of having them go get me another, I picked up my single bag of shopping and walked myself out to the car!!! It seems so small, but it felt really, really huge!!

And at knitting, we meet in various coffee shops. I always get a drink of some kind (although I don't drink coffee) to pay for the space. This time I left my cane in the car and walked in, stood in line, and found my place, all without and extra support. And it felt really good!

Even though there are still some twinges, most of my pain as passed, except at the knee/quad interface, and that's mostly overworked muscle sore with just a hint of incision. I am at my second drop in tapering my tramadol and that is going great with just the addition of 1000 mg of tylenol at bed time, which works great since I'm not taking it any other time. I still can't sleep on my side. I tried last night and had 2 restless hours before I gave up and put the pillows back under my right leg.

But even with all that going on, I am sleeping better than I have in a very, very long time. I still wake up once or twice, but I can go right back to sleep most nights. And I feel much more rested when I wake up. That is definitely also worth all the nightmares of surgery.

My current project is learning that I'm not as restricted any more. I have trouble remembering that I can go up stairs pretty easily. So today I came back up stairs to do some posting as I wait for my next scheduled event.

Off to PT now.
 
Wow! Carrying, walking, and SLEEPING!
Congratulations!
 
I'm so happy for you @luvcats!! it sounds like you are making huge progress...and that you are in a really fun knitting group! Lucky you!

I still feel a tightness or the sense that there is a rubber band around my knee that does get painful, if I walk a bit too much, which I have more than a few times!

Today was one of my big grocery days at Costco, I do have the temporary handicapped permit, so I could park close by and then I couldn't find the smoke alarms that were on sale so I added 4 extra side aisles, that made me a tad crabby....After my big walk-about I had to drive the 35 minutes home... I am icing and elevating right now, but like you say the pain isn't what it was and I know I just need to rest for a bit and I'm over it!!

Your sleeping sounds like it is going better than mine is, I've added a Benadryl to my mid-night wake ups, but I had insomnia issues before this surgery, so I'm sure that is part of this.

I can't wait for your Disney trip....it should be perfect with the scooter. I can definitely be an armchair traveler when you share your fun (even if it is after the fact...I'm sure you'll be too tired to post while on vacation)
 
@luvcats

Forgetting your cane and remembering mobility is possible in a way it was not prior to TKR is another stop on the thousand mile journey.

Keep going. I look forward to reading more.....
 
This week felt super busy. Which it was, I suppose, compared to sitting in my recliner all day.

Monday, Tuesday, and Friday I used the seated elliptical at the rec center. That went really well. When I got in on Friday I didn't have any trouble with the first rotations, I was just able to get in and go. I went all the way to 20 minutes and I even took the resistance from 0 to 1. I know adding weight is not recommended, but remember that I can't do much walking after years of being disabled by the pain. That's sort of a compromise. More weight than nothing, but not nearly as much as my body. I iced over night and this morning I feel just fine.

That means Tuesday I can start going pool walking again. I needed to be sure I was up to 20 or 30 minutes of walking because I always overdo when I restart the pool. It feels so comfortable and easy to move in the pool I never realize how much I've done until later. So I've been waiting until it wouldn't be full on sabotage. I think I'll even have a friend who's available to walk with me. That will feel like the most normal thing I've done since June!

Thursday was full of huge milestones. I did my elliptical. I had to drop a package off at the post office and I was able to pick the one where I needed to actually step up on the curb. I don't feel confident yet, but I was able to do it easily. Then there was the big one.

I don't actually remember when the last time I was able to walk into a store easily was. I think it's been at least 6 years. I let things get pretty bad before I sought out a doctor because of a lot of bad past experiences, but that's a different story. Anyway, I've been wanting a new duvet cover for a while. I looked on line, but could never find anything I liked from a vendor I thought I could trust. I finally felt like I could risk an actual store. And it was pretty easy. The actual walking wasn't a problem and nothing hurt while I was up doing it. I did use the cart a little for stability, but I'm ok with that. I was able to stand and look at my options for as long as I needed to and I still felt fine when I got back to the car.

It's hard to express to people who haven't been completely disabled what that feels like. I suddenly have real proof that I'm getting my life back and will be able to do normal things.

I did feel a little sore later and I skipped the gym because I'd done enough, but it feels like freedom is actually in sight!!!!
 
@luvcats, I am so amazed at your progress and sense of getting your life back! It really sounds like you are ready for the Disney trip!!

Visiting with various Dr. offices over the years has had it's up and downs for me also. I've had to seek second opinions and be firm with people who probably shouldn't be in the healthcare field. It's unfortunate that held you back from getting the care earlier, however that door has closed and look at where you are now!!! Amazing!
 

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022

Members online

Back
Top Bottom