Guest viewing is limited

TKR LTKR Sept 24

Status
Not open for further replies.
Out of surgery!!!! In @ 2:45. Out @ 4:30. 30 min in recovery. In my room by 5pm. I was starving & had dinner @ 6:30. Ate like a pig. No pain yet. Had spinal. I have a pain pump but haven't used it. I imagine when spinal wears off I may need it. Its almost 8pm & I feel great & very relieved. Dr said knee wasnin really bad shape. Just had a few friends visit. I'll keep you posted.
 
So happy for you wish you good healing and take it slow be with you on the other side soon 093013 Rt knee.Karen
 
Yay, you made it!!!!!:yay::yay::tada::spin:Keep us posted. Prayers and healing thoughts coming your way. :angel: Take it ez and let us know.
 
Welcome to the healing side.
 
Hi eveyyone. It's Thursday nite about 53 hours post surgery & I can honestly say this is painful but manageable. I expect to be recovering for 2-3 months. Definitely longer than the hip. The iv was disconected yesterday as well as catheter. I've beeen on percoset since. It seems to leave me comfortable enough for therapy. There are peak moments when I wish I still had the pump. I did a few stairs today as well. I'm at a small specialty hospital 35 beds only. Lincoln Surgical Hospital. Rated as one of the top 100 specialty hospitals in country by consumer reports. Fantastac place. Very efficient & they cater all their meals from a local gourmet restaurant. Incredible. I'm gonna gain 20 lbs.
i think I'm leaving tomorrow. I'm gonna miss this place. I'm happy to answer any questions. I'm really sleepy & tired tonite.
RTHR 4/2/13
LTKR 9/24/13
 
You sound great! I'll be watching your story. I'm up Monday and don't know if I'll be as coherent as you:) I'm still at the terrified stage.
 
Crystal, good luck Monday. It really diesn't pay to be scared or terrified. You just have to get through it. & have faith in the skill of your dr i could have savec a significant amount of energy by doing this. I know it's easier said than done. I made it home this morning & was able to actually walk from the car to the door with a cane. Don't tell my depr. Big no no. I am using the walker inside till the therapist says I can graduate to it. It's much more relaxing @ home which should help a lot. So far I haven't had any issues with swelling or severe pain. I'm taking two 5g percoset every 4 hours & it's seems to be working well so far. Now that I'm out of the hospital it'll be easier to take drugs before physical therapy to make it less painful. This weekend i'm just icing & elevating & recovering. I have therapy Monday so I guess i'll see how it goes. I'm prepared to 'shop around' for a gentle therapist. BTW my extension today was 0 & flexion 90. Therapy @ hospital was gentle. I did push myself a bit to get to 90.
Time for my afternoon siesta. Good luck everyone. I find this has so far been a bit easier than expected (im knocking on wood)
Im happy to answer any questions aboit my experience. I love this site. Thank you to all.
4/2/13 RTHR
9/24/13. ltkr
 
Thank you for all the information mine is 093013 RT knee nervous my Dr. Is doing Spinal and catheter have back issue ask to give me something before that back shot. I want to go home after but not sure just yet.thank you and keep doing well Karen
 
@Miniv its so great to hear you are doing so well. I am encouraged. Keep us posted. You sound really good and are handling everything well. "Easier than expected" is good very good.:yay:
@cruis
 
Crystal, good luck Monday. It really diesn't pay to be scared or terrified. You just have to get through it. & have faith in the skill of your dr i could have savec a significant amount of energy by doing this. I know it's easier said than done. I made it home this morning & was able to actually walk from the car to the door with a cane. Don't tell my depr. Big no no. I am using the walker inside till the therapist says I can graduate to it. It's much more relaxing @ home which should help a lot. So far I haven't had any issues with swelling or severe pain. I'm taking two 5g percoset every 4 hours & it's seems to be working well so far. Now that I'm out of the hospital it'll be easier to take drugs before physical therapy to make it less painful. This weekend i'm just icing & elevating & recovering. I have therapy Monday so I guess i'll see how it goes. I'm prepared to 'shop around' for a gentle therapist. BTW my extension today was 0 & flexion 90. Therapy @ hospital was gentle. I did push myself a bit to get to 90.
Time for my afternoon siesta. Good luck everyone. I find this has so far been a bit easier than expected (im knocking on wood)
Im happy to answer any questions aboit my experience. I love this site. Thank you to all.
4/2/13 RTHR
9/24/13. ltkr
I'm not sure if all surgeons do this but this is how mine went. I also had a spinal w/catheter. At the Lincoln Surgical Center a local anesthetic was used before the IV was put in. I was also given something to relax me. A local was also given before the spinal block. With the hip surgery I don't remember anything that happened as soon as i got in the room & sat down on the surgical table. With the knee surgery I remember lying down on table & being covered with many warm blankets. They keep the room very cold since the surgeons wear all the protective clothing. I remember they supported me when I sat up & gave a local in my lower back. I hardly felt the local. A moment later, they said the spinal was in. Indidn't feel it at all. The catheter in both surgeries was put in after I was under so of course I didn't feel it. You'll be glad to have the catheter in. You wouldn't want to get up to go to bathroom anyway the first 24 hrs afterwards. The catheter didn't bother me at all. You won't feel like getting up afterwards, believe me. With second surgery (knee) i woke up in surgery & they were packing me in the warm blankes. I remember shivering for a half hour afterwards but they kept replacing with more warm blankets. Heavenly!! I was in recovery for only ahalf hour & very alert. Had a bit of nausea & they had wonderful drugs that worked great. They also had inhalants with oil of lavender. & peppermint that helped as well you simply snif & nausea is helped. I was totally pain free for 3 entire hours till spinal wore off.
 
Its so good to hear a good recovery. Mine is Oct 1st. iam scared. but you made me a little at ease. Keep up on your good recovery. I will be reading
 
Do not worry about it at all---
i moved your first recovery post in this thread and started a new thread in the recovery section for you---please keep posting and coming back and keep us up to date about how you are doing!
 
This recovery is definitely different from hip. It's 10/1 exactly 1week post op. Been on quite a ride, mostly as expected. I've had lots of nausea but dr is doing good job giving me good drugs for it that are effective. I'm much more exhausted than expected & my appetite disappeared about 24 hours after surgery. I do need to lose weight but i'm not sure this is best way. If it doesn't get any worse I should be fine mentally. I probably need this rest at this time. I was too nauseated to go to 1st physical therapy session & am still waiting to reschedule & in no hurry either. I've discovered if I just do the same excercises i did with physical therapist @ hospital, my flexion seems to improve a bit each day, & painlessly. The swelling is also going down quite a bit. I'm seriously thinking of waiting a week or two to reschedule therapy as long as I keep making progress. I get staples out in 1week. I've really done nothing more than eat, do my excercises,go to Bathroom, shower &sleep,nap,sit,surf. In a day or two if i'm up to it, i'll start to get my own drinks,snacks & maybe walk a few minutes more. I did sit out on porch last night & it was heavenly. I also feel the band like compression around my knee but i think it's slightly looser today or maybe i'm hoping too much. I'm not sure what wlse I could/should be doing now but i'm erring on the side of laziness. Lolololololol. Fortunately, i'm not feeling any unusual symptoms thankfully, but I can tell it's going to be a while before things start to feel normal. How are my friends doing who had surgery yesterday & today? I'd sure like to know how things went. Thanks again for your support.
4/2/13. RTHR
9/24/13. LTKR
 
Hi Minivertible, I had surgery yesterday. My os is releasing me tomorrow but said if I want more time I can spend a few days in the skilled nursing center on the 4th floor. Nahhhhhh even though I live alone I have my son and his fiancee who will help and check on me. They already installed a toilet riser and got a tray for the walker.
Im hurting, but nothing I can't handle. Sleep is very strange. I sleep 10 or 15 minutes then get up for an hour or more. This goes on round the clock. Very strange.
I'm glad your swelling is going down. I have the ice machine but my knee is so wrapped up I don't think it reaches the knee. I intend to fix that when I get home. and I'm happy to hear itgoes down.
I also don't like the way meds are handled....this always happens anyway. I am getting plenty but there have been a few glitches and I had a meltdown today because I chose to wait on the pain meds till I knew when the pt was coming by.... wrong move.
I'm glad you are taking it easy. the pt and nurse told me today that ortho pts need to move. another reason i want to go home. they are happy with a number which is 90 for me......not sure what it means but he said good.

Good luck, keep us all informed. I love to know what I'm coming up to. :)
 
Hi Minivertible, I had surgery yesterday. My os is releasing me tomorrow but said if I want more time I can spend a few days in the skilled nursing center on the 4th floor. Nahhhhhh even though I live alone I have my son and his fiancee who will help and check on me. They already installed a toilet riser and got a tray for the walker.
Im hurting, but nothing I can't handle. Sleep is very strange. I sleep 10 or 15 minutes then get up for an hour or more. This goes on round the clock. Very strange.
I'm glad your swelling is going down. I have the ice machine but my knee is so wrapped up I don't think it reaches the knee. I intend to fix that when I get home. and I'm happy to hear itgoes down.
I also don't like the way meds are handled....this always happens anyway. I am getting plenty but there have been a few glitches and I had a meltdown today because I chose to wait on the pain meds till I knew when the pt was coming by.... wrong move.
I'm glad you are taking it easy. the pt and nurse told me today that ortho pts need to move. another reason i want to go home. they are happy with a number which is 90 for me......not sure what it means but he said good.

Good luck, keep us all informed. I love to know what I'm coming up to. :)
Crystal
Im glad the surgery is behind you. It's very important to take the meds on schedule before pain gets worse. I take 1 1/2 tablets norco every 4 hours. If i'm asleep my husband doesn't wake me up to take them. I think you'll sleep better when you get home. I can go about 3 hours of sleep @ night but sometimes I just take meds @ get right back to sleep. That started when Zi got home. I did stay @ hospital 3 nights. I probably could have left a day sooner but the nausea & pain were bad. My dr let me decide. I'm glad I stayed extra day. Sounds like you have some wonderful caregivers. Try to do as little as possible the first week. Keep reading the BONESMART mantras. Take care & i'll keep posting.
 
Judgar & Crystal- how are you doing. I've been looking for posts. I'll keep checking.
Helen
4/2/13. RTHR
9/24/13. LTKR
 
Hi Helen I haven't had surgery yet but I am allergic to lots of meds and can't take percocet. But I can take Norco. Do you think that the norco does a good job with the pain for you or do you need something stronger?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020
  • Pumpkin
    Staff member since March 26, 2015
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018

Members online

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom