TKR LTKR March 17th 2016<

I would NOT listen to this physical therapist. It is too soon to think about a MUA. I am sure someone more credentialed than me will have better information, although I think this PT is nuts. ALWAYS remember YOU are in charge of your recovery. NO ONE can make you have a MUA unless you agree. A PT is not a trained orthopedic surgeon. Please take your time. It is very early in your recovery still. You are doing GREAT in so many ways.
 
Supposedly the surgeon's assistant told her this when she called them with my progress report today. I see the surgeon tomorrow so I guess I will find out then but yes I would think it is too soon for a number reasons. Just trying to get my head right and educate myself as much as possible before seeing him now in anticipation that he wants to do this. Also concerned about insurance and maxing out therapy. I only get 20 visits. They would want 5x a week for therapy after this. I dont want nor really have any means to pay anymore out of pocket on top of my deductable for this whole fiasco. A few articles ive read have said that the sooner mua is done...the more effective it is. I dont know. Heads just spinning.
 
I had energy drain for at least 3 weeks after my surgery I know I could never had got out to PT. The nurse and PT came to me.
I feel bad you had such a hard time right after the surgery, between ice and pain meds the nurses should have kept you comfortable.
It will only get better now time heals, tell the PT you want to go gentle with the exercises.
It has been almost 10 weeks when I look back to the very beginning it differently was well worth it. I'm walking without pain and like I remembered when I had a healthy knee.
Lots of luck It all will be worth it.
 
My rom was probably 85 at three weeks. I had mild PT to get me up and down stairs. No stretching although I did do heel slides and made it a habit to bend my knee as much as I could when I was sitting. Nobody said MUA to me. I am maybe 110 or 120 now. Nobody measures me, they eyeball it. I am nine weeks out. This MUA and window of opportunity stuff strikes me as a kind of superstition. Where are the studies?


Pineapple
LTKR 2/2/16
RTKR Scheduled for approximately 5/15/16
 
My extension is 0. All good stuff. I have a follow up appointment tomorrow and am getting my staples out.
Problem is my flexion is only 81 and my physical therapist already warned me that my surgeon is going to want to schedule a MUA at the visit tomorrow. I am baffled and 100% regret getting this replacement as the writing is on the wall that the rest of my life is going to revolve around this. If anyone has gone through this procedure, could you please share about it.
I know it's hard to go against what your PT is telling you, but several of us have advised you that she/he is not the best person for your recovery. She's already caused you some injury. Now, she is worrying you unnecessarily, and to threaten you with the prospect of a MUA is unkind and unprofessional. She's wrong, too, because a bend of 81 at less that three weeks is actually really good.

My surgeon does not expect 90 degrees until at least 6 weeks after surgery.

The only thing that is preventing your knee from bending now is that it's still swollen - it's like a garden hose that won't bend easily because it's full of water. Doing lots of exercise is going to make your knee swell still more, so cut back your exercise and concentrate on doing all you can to reduce the swelling, with lots of rest, elevate, and ice .

Right now, a MUA would re-injure some of the soft tissues that are trying to heal. It is unlikely to do any good at all.
In any case, there is no need to rush to get ROM (Range of Motion), because it can continue to improve for a year, or even longer. There's no such thing as a "window of opportunity".
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR
It's never too late to get more ROM!
It's worth the wait for ROM

Recovery from a TKR takes a long time - a full year for all your soft tissues to heal completely - so don't despair. You will improve slowly, until one day you will begin to feel glad you had the operation. Right now, you're still in that difficult first month, the time we call "the dark days of recovery." Things are going to get better.

You do know, don't you, that you are the only person who can decide what will happen with your knee? Other people (including your PT and your surgeon) can offer advice, but the decision is yours. So, you are within your rights to say "No thank you. I don't want to do that yet. i'd like some more time."
I feel like 3 weeks out is too soon to even contemplate this but the stifness and lack of bending is obvious. I was even concerned about it from the start. The doctors and hospital therapists told me time after time to not worry about flexion, just extension. I still worked on flexion despite that advice and am still facing this. I'm just so angry. I also had a setback with feeling a pop during PT day 4 post op and am wondering if that or the lack of therapy for a week after while recovering from that is why the scar tissue formed so soon. However, I even remember asking one of the surgeons at my last appointment 1 week out, if scar tissue could already form, to which he said no.
You're right. Three weeks after surgery is much too soon to be thinking about a MUA. Listen to your instincts and your knee, not the therapist who is telling you scary stories.

Don't worry about not doing any PT while you healed from the damage your PT caused. It won't have set you back one little bit.
My surgeon does not allow any PT at all for the first month after surgery. His patients all do well and he hasn't had to do a MUA for the past 3 years.

Not doing PT for that short while certainly won't have caused scar tissue to grow. You can believe your doctor on that. - because you don't have scar tissue. It simply does not grow as early as that.
What you have (the stiffness and lack of bending) are swelling, a perfectly normal reaction to very major surgery. Your knee suffered major trauma. It's wounded, not lazy, and it needs time and gentle treatment, so it can heal properly. Doing lots of exercise and pushing to get ROM are increasing the swelling. Cut back the exercise and concentrate on reducing that swelling and the bend will appear, all by itself.

I'm going to give you a few more articles to read. They might help:
TKR: work “smarter” and not “harder”
Knee recovery - Lose the Work Ethic!!
Life in the slow lane
What You Should Not Expect To Do After a TKR

I hope this helps. :flwrysmile:
 
I'm only a few days behind you. I can tell you that I haven't hit 90 yet and I'm not that concerned about it right now. I'm not sure what my current OS will be looking for when I go the the first check up next week. My old OS was happy with 90 at 6 weeks.
 
So I saw the surgeon today and he did not say one thing about MUA yet. I explained to him what I was told and he said he wouldn't consider it until 6 weeks but that it wouldn't surprise him if I needed it based on how bad the knee was and how much scar tissue he had to take out. Staples came out and I can already tell the bend is slightly better. Still pretty upset that his staff would tell the PT this. I know the PT was trying to give me a heads up because it was already a concern of mine, in no way do I think it was a threat, but I also wish she didn't tell me. All that came from it was feeling of defeat , worry, and sadness....all for nothing at this point. The OS even released me to go back to work part time and to drive! Overall he seemed genuinely pleased where I am at and he also let me pick his brain about MUA as a future possibility to which my mind is somewhat at ease if that happens down the road.

In the back of my mind yesterday, when I would keep getting worked up thinking I was going to be faced with scheduling MUA today, I would try to tell myself that this info has come from everyone but the surgeon, so don't panic. I still panicked, but sure enough (thankfully), this was the case. I just feel silly because I got myself so worked up. Both pre and post surgery I have told myself to stay mentally strong. Crazy at how emotional draining the whole thing is. I would come on here pre surgery, read some stories, and self admittedly judge. Now that I've been through it I can totally relate and am grateful to connect and read about others who do understand and have been through it. If it weren't for that I would even think I was crazy because I now believe that until you go through a replacement...no one can understand the physical, mental, and emotional toll it takes.
 
I'm glad your surgeon was reassuring. It's always best to get the information from the person at the top.
 
Hi gizmotto31 we share the same surgery date it sounds like it's way to early for a MUA. My knee is o extension and my home pt got my knee to 94 flexion after stretching and doing exercises and this was on Sunday.Monday was my first outpatient pt appointment and the first thing the new therapist did was my measurements without any stretching or warming up.She got 84 flexion not sure why she checked it first but my knee is still pretty swollen around the knee. All the swelling from my calf and thigh are gone. Swelling is the problem and that's why knees don't bend I think in a couple more weeks when the swelling goes down you'll see that thing bend. Good luck with your rehab!!!!
 
I am so thankful your surgeon put your mind at ease. I absolutely loved your statement that no one can really understand this surgery unless they have been through it! Everyone can give advice and tell you where you should be, but we all START at different places and recovery differently. This is a big surgery and really does take a toll emotionally, physically, and mentally. I hope you have a peaceful day.
 
Almost 4 weeks out and finally feeling like I am making progress. My flexion was 94 degrees today. Gained 11 degrees in 8 days. Need 11-15 more in 2 weeks to avoid any talk about MUA. I feel like it will come as the knee as much less stiff and swollen.

While I had a rocky start with my PT, I feel like we are finally on the same page and I am now enjoying it as I feel like it's a great way to judge how far I have come. Today I got on the bike for the first time and was told to do half revolutions but accidentally did a full one. I screamed to high hell and made everyone jump at the therapy place, but it wasn't as bad as I imagined it to be so I did a few more full ones.

I started back at work at 3 weeks, around 5-6 hour days. The first couple days I could feel it, but since then I have adjusted nicely. I am lucky to be able to sit and have my leg up on a chair and icing with a cryo cuff most of the day. I manage a sports facility and have been able to get great guidance on what to expect from those who had replacements too (as I do on here). However, today I had a new customer come to me as she awaits her evaluation from her os, and ask me questions. It felt great to be on that end and try to help someone else with their fears and say it gets better while finally believing it too. Other than that i am ending my medical hold on gym membership and going to make a slow return back next week. Oh and most importantly I am going to my first Cubbies game tomorrow. I have partial season tickets and was afraid I'd miss my first game this year, but I'm going to try it!

I know I have a long way to go, and I'm sure I will have a few more meltdowns by the end of this recovery. I'm just excited for what I can feel developing and getting back to normal life.
 
Almost 4 weeks out and finally feeling like I am making progress. My flexion was 94 degrees today. Gained 11 degrees in 8 days. Need 11-15 more in 2 weeks to avoid any talk about MUA.
I very much doubt that you will need a MUA. Most surgeons don't even consider doing one if you are past 90 degrees.
You're making progress now. The rest will come. Don't get lured into working hard at PT in an attempt to reach a theoretical 105 degrees. That will come, with time. There's no need to rush, because ROM can continue to improve for a year, or even longer, after a knee replacement.
In any case, remember that the decision is yours. If a MUA is suggested, you can say that you want to wait a bit longer. no on can do a MUA without your consent.
I started back at work at 3 weeks, around 5-6 hour days. The first couple days I could feel it, but since then I have adjusted nicely. I am lucky to be able to sit and have my leg up on a chair and icing with a cryo cuff most of the day.
That's very early to go back to work. I'm glad you're able to look after your knee while you are there.
 
So I'm just a little over 5 weeks out now. I'd say I'm doing well for this stage of the game. I'm getting around without a crutch now. I made a full revolution on the bike at therapy and ended up biking 1.5 miles and broke a sweat. I also walked some steps one foot after the other. I call it my big girl bike and stairs as i still feel much like a toddler. I went on my own to the gym after work today...did some biking, nu step machine, upper body weights, and even got in the pool and hot tub! I did about 4 laps in the pool kicking with a kickboard. When I got tired I would use my arms briefly. I followed it up with stretching my knee and relaxing in the hot tub. This was all exciting but I still get the blues. I don't necessarily think I should be doing better...I'm surprised at doing all this even...I just get down, even on good days. I just keep trying to focus on the progress and positive things. My rom is at 101...the water stuff was suggested to help it further. I do have a few questions if anyone has any input it would be greatly appreciated.

While I was told this, I was never advised anything specific to do in the water. Does anyone have any suggestions ?

While I still have some knee pain, most of my pain is now in my hip on the surgical side from compensation. Is this somewhat normal and how long does that last?

I have a small spot on top of my my incision that stI'll breaks open. It is small and seeps clear. Trying to find something to help it heal quicker? My surgeon said rubbing alcohol. PT said vitamin e oil. They all say no to neosporin. They and other medical professionals say it is OK to submerge I water even with this because it's superficial but I still was and am a little nervous about it.
 
I have a small spot on top of my my incision that stI'll breaks open.
As long as your skin is breaking open you should not be in the pool or hot tub, not worth risking an infection.
You are doing great otherwise, slow down and let your knee heal.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I made a full revolution on the bike at therapy and ended up biking 1.5 miles and broke a sweat. I also walked some steps one foot after the other
It's great that you could manage a full revolution on the bike, but beware of doing so much in one session. That's a lot of exercise for a knee that is so new.
I went on my own to the gym after work today...did some biking, nu step machine, upper body weights, and even got in the pool and hot tub! I did about 4 laps in the pool kicking with a kickboard.
I'm going to say the same thing again. You're doing too much. On work days, don't do any more exercise. work itself is plenty of exercise for your knee. It's not even 6 weeks since your surgery and her you are, treating that knee to a big workout.

Please realise that it's not doing lots of exercise that heals your knee and gives you ROM. It's time and the reduction of swelling. It's not necessary to work hard to rehab a knee.
TKR: work “smarter” and not “harder”
Knee recovery - Lose the Work Ethic!!

I still get the blues. I don't necessarily think I should be doing better...I'm surprised at doing all this even...I just get down, even on good days. I just keep trying to focus on the progress and positive things. My rom is at 101...the water stuff was suggested to help it further
I'm sorry you still get te blues, but they are part of this recovery journey. They won't last for ever.
You have a very good ROM for 5+ weeks. Why do you feel the need to improve it? There's no need to rush, no deadline by which you have o achieve a certain number, ir all is lost. ROM can continue to improve for a year, or even longer.
I have a small spot on top of my my incision that stI'll breaks open. It is small and seeps clear. Trying to find something to help it heal quicker? My surgeon said rubbing alcohol. PT said vitamin e oil. They all say no to neosporin. They and other medical professionals say it is OK to submerge I water even with this because it's superficial but I still was and am a little nervous about it.
I disagree strongly with the advice that you were given, that it is OK to get into the water when your incision is not completely healed. No matter how small the open area, while it is there you run the risk of introducing infection. I'd be particularly wary of going into a public swimming pool and hot tubs are even worse.
That little open area on your incision will probably heal faster if you keep it dry, too. Nothing you can put on it will make it heal faster.

Can you take it more gently and give your knee time to heal naturally? The ROM is already there . You don't have to work to achieve it.
 
I am deeply concerned that you are putting a knee in a pool or hot tub at a gym when it is not completely healed. I sincerely doubt when your doctor told you it was "okay to submerge in water" that they did not mean spend time in a public pool or hot tub. Both of these (especially the hot tub) are usually loaded with bacteria and should be avoided. Please don't do this until you are completely healed. My guess is your doctor had in mind a shower or possibly a quick bath in your own tub (and frankly, I wouldn't even do this either until you're healed). Most gyms have rules prohibiting use by people with open wounds anyway, so I definitely would pass on this for a while.

As for what to put on an incision that is still weeping a bit. The answer is.....nothing! There is no way to hurry up healing. And you risk creating problems by putting something on the wound. Just let it heal. Keep it clean and dry and it should get better on its own.
 
If you haven't had your shoes or sneakers checked for wear nows the time to do it. I want to a running store and got new sneakers fitted for my new gait. They took the time to check my old ones for wear, analyze my gait and then suggested some pairs to try out.
 
Oh man...I wish I would have waited now to get in the pool. It was the doctors suggestion to get in there and the hot tub. This is after he had seen this spot while taking out some small stitches popping through the skin. I kept putting it off this week because of this worry even with his blessing. Even threw it out to the 2 PT I've worked with and they said it's ok. Better safe than sorry and hope everything is ok. I'll wait for it to be completely healed before the next trip to the pool.

Yes i have been doing a lot these last 2 weeks. This luckily has come without much pain or swelling. Anytime I'm not walking, or out and about, I still ice and elevate. I definitely don't want to set myself my back, but it's the little things like breaking a sweat or walking up and down steps one foot over the other that help battle those blues previously mentioned.

Even on the bike I'm lucky to go fast enough to even keep the screen on, but these days that's about the equivalent to finishing a triathlon . In fact what I did on a bike in public today may not even be considered biking. I'm sure a few gym goers thought I never was on one before in my life and that i may just be certifiably crazy .

I will have days dedicated to rest too. I do feel that with some of the new exercises added to my regimine this week, that the increased strength has allowed me to be more mobile, have more muscle control, and in turn a better gait. If I was in bad pain, I would draw a line in the sand and wouldn't push through it. I learned week 1 (and with the help of all of you) not to. For now im just searching for a decent balance.
 
Thanks also for the suggestion of the shoes. Do you think @newlybionic that it's worth it to wait as my gait is (hopefully ) going to still improve?
 
@gizmotto31, I'm going to chip in there too as I am very concerned about what I've read.

So I'd like to ask you some questions if you don't mind, and it would be very helpful if you would answer each one individually - numbered as I have done - in as much detail as you can then I'll come back as see where you are ....

1. what are your pain levels right now? (remember the 1-10 scale: 1 = no pain and 10 = the worst you can imagine. And don't compare this with the bone-on-bone pain you had before surgery! :no-fin:)

2. what pain medications have you been prescribed, how much are you taking (in mg please) and how often?

3. how often are you icing your knee and for how long?

4. are you elevating your leg, how often and for how long?

5. What is your ROM - that's flexion (bend) and extension (straightness)

6. how swollen is your leg?
[Bonesmart.org] LTKR March 17th 2016<


7. what is your activity level? What do you do in the way of housework, cooking, cleaning, shopping, etc., and

8. what kind of PT exercises and exercises at home are you doing? How much and how often?
This is the most crucial question so please help me by using the format I have left as an example
(which means please make a list and not an essay!)

Exercises done at home: (enter number) of sessions each day
enter exercise + enter number of reps and sets
enter exercise + enter number of reps and sets
enter exercise + enter number of reps and sets
etc., etc.

At PT
enter exercise + enter number of reps and sets
enter exercise + enter number of reps and sets
enter exercise + enter number of reps and sets
etc., etc.
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom