TKR LTKR March 11, 2021

DogMama

Country
United States United States
Hello everyone! I have been reading various threads and links here on BoneSmart for a few weeks and have learned quite a bit. I have been needing my knees replaced for several years but no one locally would do the surgery due to my BMI. Thankfully, I have found a physician about 2 hours away that will do it. My left knee replacement has been scheduled for February 16....I am excited and nervous.

:welome: to Bonesmart. We are glad that you joined us. It is very normal to both be excited and nervous prior to your surgery. Feel free to ask any questions you have.

@DogMama
Welcome to BoneSmart, glad you joined us!!

New BoneSmart members like you are in various stages of their journey to joint replacement. Making the decision whether or not to have surgery and preparing for surgery can be easier once you have done your research and know what lies ahead. Here are some tools that can help you decide what is best for you.

If you are at the stage where you have joint pain but don't know for sure if you are ready to have surgery, these links may help:
Score Chart: How bad is my arthritic hip?
Choosing a surgeon and a prosthesis
BMI Calculator - What to do if your surgeon says you're too heavy for joint replacement surgery
Longevity of implants and revisions: How long will my new joint last?

If you are at the stage where you are planning to have surgery but are looking for information so you can be better prepared for what is to come, take a look at these links:
Recovery Aids: A comprehensive list for hospital and home
Recliner Chairs: Things you need to know if buying one for your recovery
Pre-Op Interviews: What's involved?

And if you want to picture what your life might be like with a replaced hip, take a look at the posts and threads from other BoneSmarties provided in this link:
Stories of amazing hip recoveries

@newlybionic and @Pumpkln, thank you for the welcome! I appreciate all you guys being here, it’s amazing to read how each knee replacement is its’ own journey.
Did anyone do exercises before their joint replacement and, if so, how long did you do them before surgery?

DogMama,
There is evidence that pre op preparation with a PT can help improve outcomes.
PT can help with preparing your for your surgery, gait training in how to use an assistive device, stair training, how to elevate, how to ice, individualized pre op strengthening, and instruction in post op exercises, such as our recommendation for gentle
Heel slides and how to do them and Extension: how to estimate it and ways to improve it .

How long you would exercise prior to surgery depends on the individual, my best guess is 4-6 weeks.
You will want to find a PT well educated in pre op education and exercises for joint replacements.

Hi Dog Mama! I am having my LTKR the day after you. I cannot wait. I am so ready and excited for my new knee and recovering to better quality of life. Good luck to you!

Hello @mature mama!! I feel the same way, I am sooo excited to be able to get around without pain! Good luck to you as well!!

@Carmencita I bet you’re getting very excited at this point since you’re so close to surgery day! I’ll be looking forward to hearing how you’re doing!

I had all of my preop testing done today, including the dreaded :yikes:PCR Covid test. It wasn’t super bad but it was bad enough:heehee: - burned like the dickens!!
I am all set for Tuesday barring any difficulties from weather - we are expecting extremely cold temps along with snow/ice.
They will give me an ice machine to bring home so I will have the one I bought from Amazon too. I have a Lounge Doctor to use for elevation - that was a hard item to find.
I wanted to have both knees done at the same time but my OS said they are too bad to do that. I hope my right knee doesn’t delay rehab of my left.
Has anyone had the OS take a pic of their joint before the sawing and resurfacing? I’d love to see what mine looks like. Hope that’s not too weird :snork:

Last edited:
Hello all. My surgery had been postponed due to weather here in Texas. We’ve been covered in snow and ice over the past couple of days. On one hand I was hoping it wouldn’t be cancelled but on the other I’m glad I don’t have to drive in this mess. I’ve attached some pics....this is very unusual for our area.

Could a Moderator please change my thread title to “LTKR Pending”? Thank you.
7069CB97-D567-4285-8123-5A9FF645E136.jpeg F0710CA7-D8FB-49BF-91B4-9D3DE4075EE3.jpeg 032B2484-F2F8-4A3F-96BC-0E7301C17617.jpeg

I changed your thread title for you. :flwrysmile: I hope you don’t have to wait too long.

Hi @DogMama So sorry to hear your op has been postponed! I was the same when mine was put back - didn’t know whether to be happy or sad! It is a shame when you have mentally prepared though. I’ll be watching for your new date.

So sorry to hear about your postponed surgery but from what my TX friends say about their weather, sounds like best plan.

The snow will melt soon and your schedule will be back on. Hoping soon!!

Hi Dogmama! Wondered if they rescheduled your surgery yet, now that Texas is thawing out? Thinking of you as you get ready to move forward!!

They called today and rescheduled my surgery. It is now March 11!!! I am excited again! Getting things arranged and in order again. So far the only weather expected the next few weeks is rain, it is not supposed to freeze. Hopefully that’s not a case of “famous last words”!! :rotfl:
Could someone please change my title to LTKR March 11, 2021? Thank you.

I changed your title for you. March 11 will be here before you know it.

Rain is so much better than freezing rain. We've had our share of that here, but nothing like others have experienced.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Alwaysknitting
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom