LTKR July 15 for me

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good Morning. I have not posted very much to this point due to reading articles and reading other posts. Tomorrow I go for all my dr appointments. It will be a long day. First I start out at the dr. office for pre 0p medical history and physical. That's at 8:30 am. We live around 2-2 1/2 hours from all of this. So then I go to the hospital for pre op testing, and then later attend the joint class. They scheduled all of this in one day so I wouldn't miss so much work, because I think I will need all my sick leave, vacation and personal leave for recovery. It's really strange because in my mind before these appointments it was "ok I'm having a knee replacement, (big deal)." Right!!! But now that the ball is actually rolling I'm thinking am I really prepared? I feel I'm prepared now for the surgery thanks to BS but how do you really prepare for the pain that I know is going to be there. I knock on wood because I've not had to deal much with a lot of pain. Having children was a piece of cake for me, all three times. So I'm just a little concerned on what excrutieating (sp) pain feels like. I know everyone reacts to pain differently, so what may really hurt me may not be so bad for someone else. Just rambling on here trying to relax and hope nothing comes up in the tests that will delay the surgery.
Anyway I have all my questions written down to ask all involved tomorrow. I will post again after tomorrow.
 
Definitely good to have questions written down. When I went for my post op check the PA even said something like "good--I like when people bring a list of questions."

I think you will find that the pain, while certainly unpleasant, can be controlled pretty well so you won't be in agony.
 
Talk to your doctor about his pain management protocol. These days, pain can be well managed and most doctors want to do just that for their patients. It will ease your mind to know how important he thinks this is. Part of the pain management equation is your surgeon's willingness to see it's done. Another critical part of the equation is you. As the patient it's up to you to constantly communicate pain issues to your medical team both in the hospital and once you get home. There are many choices for medications and if one doesn't work well, it's easy to move to another. The third part of the pain management equation is consistency. This means staying ahead of the pain by taking medications on a set schedule through the day and night. Having medicine in your system to combat pain flareups will ensure that you don't find yourself in terrible pain and trying to get it under control.
 
@jsm Don't think I have welcomed you yet?! Welcome to Bonesmart! May you have a speedy recovery when you have your surgery.
 
July 24th for me. I wish I had known about this forum when I had the original rod and pins (didnt work.) So me too looking forward after 9 months to tack on a few more or 5 and with a LTHR get my life back!
 
Thanks everyone for your advice and comments. Yesterday was my pre-op assessment. Was a busy day. Met with the OS, then went for lab work. I actually could get on line to day and see my test results. Everything looked ok to me and have not heard anything back saying things will not continue forward. Last but not least was the joint class. I did not have a lot of questions for them due to everything I had learned on BS (thanks btw), and they pretty much stated the same things. We got to tour the floor that we will be staying on and at the end a patient that had just had surgerythe day before came strolling in on his walker and explained a lttle bit of how things were going for him. So it was actually nice to actually see someone who had just had surgery. So all in all it was a productive day, but long. Talk later.
 
Yeah, that was good to see a patient strolling the halls.
 
@jsm just remember that each person heals differently, so don't compare yourself to that patient or any one else.
My husbands surgery happened so fast (think they had a cancellation) that all we had time for was physical and echocardiograph. Without this site we wouldn't have been prepared. You are only a couple of weeks out and then you will be on the otherside and healing.
 
OK Well tomorrow (15th) is the day for me. I'm packed and ready to go. Today is my last day of work for awhile. I haven't set up my thread on the recovery side yet but will later on tonight after work. My surgery is not until 12:30 so may not past until late Tuesday or sometime Wednesday. Finally here!!
 
@jsm Best of luck tomorrow and a speedy recovery. You might want to keep the same name on the recovery forum so we can find you! By the way my name is Jackie too.
 
:flwrysmile:@jsm Best Wishes for Tuesday and looking forward to seeing your recovery posts.
 
@tiredwife My mom said I was named after Jacquelyn Kennedy, but shoot was she even famous in 1951? :heehee:

@marmora Thanks, getting just a little nervous. But I've been reading on here since May so hopefully I'm well prepared.
 
@jsm My mom swears I wasn't named after him but his name is Jack Lee and they named me Jackie with a middle name of Lee. My mom was on a J name kick with us girls. Just remember don't compare your recovery to other peoples and discomfort is okay but pain isn't.
 
Best wishes for tomorrow!
 
Good luck tomorrow. Will look forward to your updates!
 
Sending healing thoughts your way. My surgery is Friday so I look forward to reading your updates.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom