TKR LTKR journey first few weeks

@ChrisF So sorry you have Covid on top of trying to recovery from TKR. The good news is the Covid does ease - for most people faily quickly. Hang in there!
 
Oh no, I pray you feel better really soon.
 
And now I have COVID!!!
I feel absolutely dreadful
So sorry to hear that! I tested positive this week too, and I agree, it's terrible. It's a lot like the knee recovery, in that every day there seems to be a new symptom. The worst part for me is that I'm so tired I am not nearly as active so I hope it doesn't affect my knee recovery.
 
I know exactly what you mean, I slept most of yesterday, I kept surfacing for a drink or the loo and then almost passed out again. It’s the most rest I’ve had in a month!
Hopefully, as other people have said, this variant doesn’t seem to last as long and we will be able to continue with our knee recovery.
I haven’t even had my first physio appointment yet, one was cancelled last week and I had to cancel all my appointments for this week, physio, wound clinic and GP appointment.
Try not to worry I’m sure we’ll catch up. Hope you feel better soon.
 
Your knee can do some good healing while you are resting from your covid infection. Don't worry. It is actually good for your knee to rest in its early days. Many OSs won't even start PT until several weeks after their patient's surgery to give the knee more time to heal before being stressed with PT. You'll be fine.
 
Another totally sleepless night
it’s seems like my whole left side has cramp/pins and needles. It even seems to extend into my hand which is slightly tingly ( this is new) All a bit worrying as I thought I’d gone beyond this.
I wouldn’t mind so much but I’d just told my GP that I was managing to sleep a bit better since he’d prescribed me Amitriptyline on Monday.
could something else be going on? Surely not a response the Covid??
I’ve had pretty bad diarrhoea today maybe a bit dehydrated?

I’ll drink more water and see if I can settle down.
Not a good day
 
Surely not a response the Covid??

Who knows? It seems to affect different people in different ways. Your body has a double whammy to fight right now so get as much rest as you can. I'm sorry you're feeling so badly. Add some Gateraid-type drinks to keep your electrolytes balanced. Even adding a slice of lemon to your water will help hydrate you.
 
Hi Chris,
I had my RKTR Dec 2019. Like you I had sleeping issues ice and elevation were my friends. I had horrible leg cramps in my surgical knee. It hurt already and that didn't help the sleep. My Dr told me to drink 3 ounces of tonic water to help with the cramps and it did. Right now I am taking a med that causes leg cramps and my PCP me to do the tonic water Good luck with the sleep ..I spent a lot of night in my recliner. Could raise the knee about my heart and use the ice
 
Hi @ChrisF,
Sorry to hear about the COVID. I tested positive about 20 days prior to my surgery and was very concerned it would cause a delay. Fortunately, the symptoms were mild and my procedure got done as planned. I was following this thread because I am battling Night pain and lack of sleep. It seems to be a common problem that passes with time. Like most things, I was hoping for a simple solution, but I don't think it exists.

Nonetheless, be strong my friend! Best wishes on Both of your recovery paths...

:)
 
Thank you for your advice. I’m drinking tonic water and it does seem to be helping a little.
 
Hi @ChrisF,
Sorry to hear about the COVID. I tested positive about 20 days prior to my surgery and was very concerned it would cause a delay. Fortunately, the symptoms were mild and my procedure got done as planned. I was following this thread because I am battling Night pain and lack of sleep. It seems to be a common problem that passes with time. Like most things, I was hoping for a simple solution, but I don't think it exists.

Nonetheless, be strong my friend! Best wishes on Both of your recovery paths...

:)
I’m glad your surgery was able to go ahead, I was terrified mine would be cancelled. I see it’s very early days for you. It’s 5 weeks tomorrow since my surgery and I would say the worst part for me is still lack of decent sleep. My GP has prescribed a nerve relaxant and this has helped a little bit but I crave a good sleep. I’ve now got into the habit of going to bed after lunch and can usually sleep for an hour, which is helping but this has only happened because of Covid as I have no visitors - every cloud……..

Best wishes to you too. This too will pass and it will all be worthwhile - eventually!
 
It’s coming up to 6 weeks on Tuesday and I don't feel I’m progressing much at all. The fatigue from Covid has compounded the tiredness from lack of sleep since the surgery and has left me feeling absolutely wiped out.
I walk around quite a lot now but the heat in my knee is tremendous. I know this is the healing process but is this usual at this stage. Yesterday I was on my feet for a few hours and the swelling and heat was something else. I spent all evening elevating and icing and it’s quite a bit better but the fatigue is even worse than usual Today. I have been negative for Covid since Wednesday And would have thought I should have improved by now.
Also, how do other people feel in the evening. From about 7 until bed I cannot get comfortable no matter what I do, I put my leg up I put it down, I stretch it out but I feel so fidgety at this time. This is usually when I have my tonic water in the hope things improve soon.
sorry for the moan
 
I'm so sorry......fighting Covid as well as healing from this surgery has taken everything out of you, I'm afraid. Keep icing and elevating as much as you can. Now that you are negative, can you make an appointment with your surgeon if you are concerned there might be in infection? Is the knee red at all? Warmth is normal as it means things are healing but too warm could be a sign of something else. Do you have a fever?
 
I walk around quite a lot now

Yesterday I was on my feet for a few hours and the swelling and heat was something else.
You are up and about quite a lot and your knee is rebelling. 6 weeks is very early days in this 52 week (one year) recovery.

Covid can also really drain someone who hasn‘t just had major surgery.

Take more time to rest, ice and elevate and try to be patient with this long, slow recovery.
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom