TKR LTKR journey first few weeks

Hello, I’m getting desperate now. Although everything is going well, swelling and bruising is greatly reduced and range of movement us increasing daily, I’m still not able to sleep more than 10 -15 minute dozes. The problem isn’t pain as such it’s more like Restless Leg Syndrome/cramp and I have to keep moving position constantly. The feeling runs right down from my buttock which feels constantly sort of numb and needs to be stretched, through my back thigh muscles and down to my calf muscle. My duvet is thrown off and on. I get up for a walk/stretch up to 20 times a night and have started dreading going to bed. Starting to feel really depressed with lack of sleep and wonder should I speak to the hospital tomorrow. I’ve reduced my medication (codeine phosphate/paracetamol) to 3 times/day as the pain in the actual knee is only acute when I’m trying to do the exercises. I alter my sleep position all night long using pillows to prop my leg and find I can’t elevate it for more than a few minutes at a time. is this still normal???
I put a big pillow between the sheets at the foot of the bed to make a tunnel. The sheets did not touch my lower leg so no sensitivity.
Plus you can roll over side to side without catching toes on sheets.
Then for restless legs, Surgeon gave me Gabapentin.
I was not a good sleeper for many years now and surgery has made that even worse. I have taken different sleeping aid for the last year, changing them as they seem to quit working. The last 2 nights have been the worst and tonight I just took a Zopiclone for a better night. Sometimes the dreaming is worst from the pills.
I have IT Band issues from both surgeries and that doesn't help.
But I love my afternoon snoozes and have all my life, lol. Mexican?
Good luck with your recovery.
 
Okay my advice for lack of sleep. I had the same issue so sorry don’t have time to go through the whole thread but I haven’t checked in for a while. Anyway, Amazon sells those launching type cushions that you put your leg on. You are not resting anything on the under the knee so they tell you or at least with my TKR they told me not to do that but recommend that special pillow and I started sleeping better after I bought it.
 
The feeling runs right down from my buttock which feels constantly sort of numb and needs to be stretched, through my back thigh muscles and down to my calf muscle.
@ChrisF , your description reminds me very much of what I went through when I had a sciatic issue. Actually, i had it several times - once caused by swelling in my butt that put pressure on the nerve and once when I had a herniated disc in my spine that put pressure on the nerve.

This may not be the cause of your problem but it is something to consider and maybe discuss with your doctor.
 
Thank you, that’s definitely worth considering. I’ve got a telephone appointment on Thursday with my GP (the first available ) the hospital helpline have suggested I take Oramorph but I can’t imagine this helping
 
Okay my advice for lack of sleep. I had the same issue so sorry don’t have time to go through the whole thread but I haven’t checked in for a while. Anyway, Amazon sells those launching type cushions that you put your leg on. You are not resting anything on the under the knee so they tell you or at least with my TKR they told me not to do that but recommend that special pillow and I started sleeping better after I bought it.
Thank you I’ll look into it
 
@ChrisF


 
@ChrisF


Thank you for the information, unfortunately being in the UK I can’t afford the Lounge Doctor legrest as the shipping cost is astronomical, so I’ve constructed a three pillow alternative using the photos you’ve posted and it seems to work!
 
@ChrisF, like many above, I highly recommend Magnesium at night to help you sleep. (Be sure to get Magnesium Glycinate so you avoid the gastric issues caused by other types of Magnesium. I learned this the hard way!) It will take a while to begin working so don’t give up if it doesn’t make an immediate difference.

In addition, try icing when you go to bed. I had a Polar Cube that I filled at bedtime and it would run for several hours before losing its chill. By then, I would usually be getting up to use the bathroom (all that post-surgical fluid has to go somewhere LOL) so I would either refill the Cube or just take it off for the remainder of the night. I did this with my second replacement and wish I had done it with my first.

If you still aren’t sleeping after trying magnesium and ice, I’ve been told that meditation apps/tapes can help too. Don’t give up; it will get better with time.
 
Thank you for taking the time to post and for the information. I’m continuing with the magnesium as I prefer to stick with natural aids as far as possible. I’ve now made a pretty reasonable elevated leg rest using 3 pillows by following the suggestions on here as the lounge doctor was simply out of my reach. I’m using a cryo cuff that was given to me from the hospital and ice packs. My surgical helpline suggested a spoonful or oral morphine, which I didn’t like to take but must admit it has allowed me a few hours of rest for the last 2 nights, plus guided sleep meditation on YouTube. As you say I’m sure it’s just time.
 
I'm glad you have found some things to help you. These first few weeks definitely are the roughest. Hoping things continue to improve from here on out......
 
I did the "pillow ramp" too. The thing with a system of pillows is that they're easily adjustable and you have them around the house anyway. :) I'm glad to see you're sleeping a bit better.

Wishing you increased periods of sleep. :sleep:
 
Still struggling with sleep 23 days post surgery. It’s definitely the worst aspect of the procedure for me and there are times I’m really despondent. Although I did take the Morphine for a couple of nights and did get a 2 hour period of sleep I’ve discontinued it as it doesn’t feel right as I’ve always believed Morphine is for serious pain and not sleeplessness and discomfort.
I don’t have serious pain, it’s more a burning nagging ache in the back of my leg, not the knee itself which is as I would expect, stiff, swollen and if I move it in the wrong direction a bit painful, but this is definitely not the problem.
I know everyone says the first few weeks are the worst but when will it improve? Has anyone resorted to asking their GP for sleep meds?

I’m dealing with the sciatic pain by using heat and self massage, which is helping a bit.

Also Im wondering if I should stop taking the Paracetamol and Codeine Phosphate through the day and maybe just take it at night before bed (which is when I take my Magnesium) - the hospital didn’t give very much information when I was discharged.

Thank you for any advice
 
I hated this sleeplessness. The best you can do is sleep where and when you can. If it's at night in bed, on the sofa, on the recliner, or during the day in the same places, it doesn't matter. What matters is that you sleep.

Some people find taking melatonin helps. Also, Benedryl. I asked my PC doctor for prescription sleep aids for a while, which did help some.

I hope you can find some help somehow. Just remember to sleep when and where you can.
 
Thank you, I’m seeing my GP next week who has suggested Amitryptaline but wants to do blood tests first. I was hoping he’d give me a short term of sleeping tablets. In the meantime he says to take the oral morphine at bedtime so I will tonight. I get some sleep.
 
By the way - probably a silly question but should I sleep with the leg elevated all night or just through the day when I’m icing?. I try to elevate part of the night but I’m sure this increases the cramps and burning in the back of my leg and increases the Restless Leg symptoms x
 
I would elevate your leg but only if it isn't causing increased cramping and restless leg syndrome symptoms. if it is causing those things than just elevate as much as you can during the day.
 
Please can I change my thread title to:

LTKR journey first few weeks
 
Three weeks and 5 days post surgery and still no decent periods of sleep My longest has been 2 hours and boy did I pay for it with cramp from my buttock to my ankle.
I still think I’m suffering from Restless Leg Syndrome but can Sciatica be caused by the operation too? I have an awful nagging pain in my buttock which travels right down the back of my leg. Sometimes the pain seems to come from my lower back but mostly it’s the buttock. Then when I sit or lie for any length of time it feels like the whole leg goes into a cramp and I have to stretch it out - all night long!!! I’m also getting pain in my psoas usually at night when I’m getting ready for bed - a hot water bottle helps a bit.
My GP has made me an appointment for bloods on Tuesday (4 weeks since surgery) then I am to see him on Friday when he will (hopefully) prescribe something for my sleeplessness - 31days after surgery!!!
Has anyone else had similar problems and does it pass eventually?
I’m really desperate for sleep. I feel such a moaner and I really thought I’d be much better than this at this stage.
The actual wound itself is pretty good and apart from stiffness doesn’t give me much trouble.
Thank you for any reassurance anyone can give me x
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] LTKR journey first few weeks
    19A8A400-39DE-409F-A8B9-3F9B999C70D6.jpeg
    157.9 KB · Views: 94
@ChrisF , I’ve had sciatica issues a number of times and your symptoms sound familiar.

I’ve had sciatica caused by a back injury and also from issues and swelling of the piriformis muscle in my butt.

Depending on the root cause, I as given different meds - muscle relaxants and narcotics for the back problem and prescription ibuprofen when it was a piriformis issue.

You need to discuss it with your doctor and don’t forget to describe both sets of symptoms so he examines your back as well as your butt.

For me, recovery from sciatica was slow but sure, taking at least several weeks.
 
@ChrisF , I’ve had sciatica issues a number of times and your symptoms sound familiar.

I’ve had sciatica caused by a back injury and also from issues and swelling of the piriformis muscle in my butt.

Depending on the root cause, I as given different meds - muscle relaxants and narcotics for the back problem and prescription ibuprofen when it was a piriformis issue.

You need to discuss it with your doctor and don’t forget to describe both sets of symptoms so he examines your back as well as your butt.

For me, recovery from sciatica was slow but sure, taking at least several weeks.
Thank you, I will speak to my doctor on Friday And hopefully get some help which in turn should help with my sleeplessness.
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom