Guest viewing is limited

LTKR - August 27th - Coming Fast!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jane, sounds as though we are on the same wave length too. My Dh doesn't cook he thinks take out will be the go. I like my vegetables and think they will help with the bathroom area I am reading so much about on here. (Note to self buy prunes )

My oldest son lives an hour north, he has two children Azaylee will be 4 just before I have my surgery. She is a little cutie and then we have Axten he just turned 1. He is a sweet little boy just walking now. I asked Aaron to bring them down when I am in hospital more Azaylee as she will be able to her Nannie and I will miss them so much as I jump in the car as often as I can to go see them.

My middle son works in the mines and he flies home for a week once a once. He stays here but spends time surfing and catching up with his mates. he is a good cook and he should be scheduled to be home the week I get out of hospital.

My youngest lives local he is 20. Just sharing a house with a mate and I asked him could he move home for a couple of weeks once Pop leaves. He works afternoon shift so when he is home asleep his Dad will be at work and although he is sleeping he will be here. He is not the best cook but will at least help me.

I plan to shower when dh is home and around although ALL my boys are used to seeing Mum naked in the shower as I have had so many surgeries in their lifetime it is just second nature to them to have to come and help me in the bathroom. It has been a little while since I needed any of their help in the bathroom but naked or not it is just a body.

I cannot believe all the great idea's I am finding on the site I will need to go shopping again lol
 
I haven't gotten a grabber yet, but I will. I got a walker when we set up the surgery and they did warn me not to use the wheels for awhile so that it doesn't get away from me.

As for boredom, we have Netflix so I'm going to catch up on some series I've been looking forward to as well as some books that have been downloaded to read on Kindle.

I am concerned about my bedroom though. We have a small house with a very small bedroom and the bed pretty much fills it. I don't have a lot of room to maneuver out of bed and this is my concern. What kind of space is needed to get out of bed? The rest of the house we are getting set up for everything as much as possible for our tiny house. I love the idea about the "cooler" so I can get my own drinks - if I can keep my son out of it! :)
 
Okay, I had more to add - Sorry!!!!

First off, Kate and I are putting together a list of crock pot meals we can put together and freeze. That's what we're going to be doing this Sunday with our sister in law. As soon as we get it all together, I'll share the recipes.

Secondly, did someone mention shoes earlier? I have orthotics and a lift in my left shoe as well. This makes it impossible to wear anything without a back. Am I understanding that slip on shoes are best and slippers are even better?
 
Trish slipper with non slip and covered heel are most appropriate for hospital as slip on shoes are not safe and you can fall. We certainly do not want that do we.

We should share recipes I have already been on the forum checking what is available and there was a link to another off site I looked their ideas earlier. Must admit some looked very simple and I am sure DH will manage if I tell him lol.

Weather wise has a lot to do with what we cook, we are still cold but in a couple of weeks warming up. I am going to make chicken volovaunts and freeze to have with vege's too they are simple to prepare and they are very filling either with salad or vege's.

Made pasta sauce already DH just has to thaw and heat while the pasta cooks.
 
Forgot to mention the bedroom. I have had mine the same way for 20 years, worked fine. Now with the surgery and recovery I thought about it a little more and realised there was no way I was going to be able to get up safely. Or have a frame beside the bed especially for getting up through the night. I also wanted to have items safely I could reach especially when alone.

A friend of mine had a few bathroom accidents as she could not hold long enough to get up out of bed so she told me to get a pack of depends for the first week or so at home. Couldn't have thought of them without her suggestion as she said better to be safer then sorry.

Has anyone found they have had little accidents in bathroom timing? She even suggested a commode for the bedroom for added timing. I am not sure about this so would appreciate input. I do not have a separate bathroom off my bedroom so I am thinking this might be a good idea.
 
friend of mine had a few bathroom accidents as she could not hold long enough to get up out of bed so she told me to get a pack of depends for the first week or so at home. Couldn't have thought of them without her suggestion as she said better to be safer then sorry. Has anyone found they have had little accidents in bathroom timing? She even suggested a commode for the bedroom for added timing. I am not sure about this so would appreciate input. I do not have a separate bathroom off my bedroom so I am thinking this might be a good idea.
This is actually a really good idea. A friend of mine had her knees done last year, she told me the pain meds gave her diarrhea and she was not able to make it in time. :shrug: (numerous times) She was so thankful for the care of her husband, won't go into details from there.....
I am getting what they call a 3 in 1 toilet. It is a stand alone potty that can be bedside, then the bucket can be removed and the frame placed over your home toilet, giving a raised seat with the hand bars for getting up, then the raised seat can be removed and the frame still used for getting up.
Here is a link to one on amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/Medline-Deluxe-Commode-Toilet-Safety/dp/B000M5FEZY/?tag=ate362da-20
It has been recommended on this site and when I met with the social services, she recommended and ordered it for me. My insurance will pay for it. My husband likes the idea because he doesn't have to do anything permanent to our existing toilet.
 
I work in Aged Care so it makes great sense to use a Depend style incontinent pad in those few days when ambulation is still difficult. I have had numerous operations and the meds always give me loose motions so keeping this in mind I think it is a good idea.

Thanks for the link those 3 in one's are $165 here.

They are a good idea too.
 
Thanks for the link those 3 in one's are $165 here
Wow, that's a big difference! Does your insurance pay for any of these items?

First off, Kate and I are putting together a list of crock pot meals we can put together and freeze. That's what we're going to be doing this Sunday with our sister in law. As soon as we get it all together, I'll share the recipes.
Sounds great! I'm planning on making some soups, chili and pasta sauce to put in the freezer. "Heat and eat" and possibly really easy crockpot meals will be the best route for my husband. He does do a good job grilling, but he's used to me preparing the rest of the meal as he's grilling.

I got the final okay for the BTKR from my cardiologist today. Ready for my two new shiny knees on Tuesday!!!:yay:

I'm looking forward to doing my final grocery shopping trip with my sister this weekend. I'll use one of the motorized scooters, she can push the cart. We should have fun. It will probably be my last outing for awhile.
 
I will claim them through my health insurance. They cover items purchased not hired.
 
I got the final okay for the BTKR from my cardiologist today. Ready for my two new shiny knees on Tuesday!!!:yay:

I'm looking forward to doing my final grocery shopping trip with my sister this weekend. I'll use one of the motorized scooters, she can push the cart. We should have fun. It will probably be my last outing for awhile.


Hot damn!!! Here we go!

We have a quick weekend trip to Des Moines this weekend, leaving Friday and returning Saturday. We're going to take Alex to the zoo on Friday and on Saturday, we have a luncheon to attend as a friend is receiving an award. We just have to be back home in time for church at 5:30 on Saturday. We do a prayer circle on Saturday evenings and we're a close knit group so I really want to be there to receive those prayers. It may be couple of weeks before I can get back.
On Monday, we're going to spend the day just doing whatever we want and being "out" because like you I'm anticipating it will be awhile before I can do anything else. :/ But in the end, it will be well worth it!
 
You sure do have quite the incentive in that beautiful baby boy! As long as you have the care and support of someone to get you through this, and you do, you'll be just fine. I see you live in Eastern Iowa. Many years ago we lived n Coralville while my husband was working on his Master's. I worked at the U. Of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics. Are you by chance having your surgery there? We ended in in Iowa for his grad school because he grew up in Des Moines. Glad you found us here!
 
Thanks! I will be having the surgery in Cedar Rapids, actually. I worked in Coralville for 13 years and made the commute for almost 11 of those years. I try to avoid I380 as much as possible nowadays! How long ago were you in Coralville?
 
I don't know why, but I'm starting to get anxious. Thinking of all these things that could go wrong. Not medically, but recovery wise at home. My back has been bothering me when I lay on my back too long. My right knee is still in recovery and while it's better, I'm worried about the additional stress that will be put on it. I'm worried about my mood as I am already going stir crazy without work. Ugh.
 
Hang in there Trish!
Just saw a posting on facebook.....
"Worry doesn't take away tomorrow's TROUBLES...It takes away today's PEACE."

I am keeping myself busy with my list....Laundry, light house keeping, cooking and freezing meals, paying bills, reconciling my checkbook, it goes on. :blush: I even have washing the windows on it! (I know I won't get to that, but it's on there!)
I also turn to the Bible and prayer. That's where I find peace.:flwrysmile:

This mornings devotional was...
So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand. broken link removed: https://bible.us/Isa41.10.NIV
I thought it was very fitting for this week!
Take care, keeping you in my prayers.
 
I'm married to a woman. In fact, my wife and I were part of the legal fight to win that right here in Iowa. [/quote]

Makes no difference to me - I say good for you on trying to change things with the legal fight.

Wishing you all the best. I'll be sending positive thoughts your way on the 27th & beyond.
 
Thinking of you today and sending you positive energy. Wishing you all the best for a speedy recovery hugs xx
 
It's been a busy day. I'm ready for some down time. What hasn't gotten done, Kate will be doing while I'm in the hospital. I'm ready to get this part over with and start on recovery.

Thanks, Donna! Away we go!
 
Hi Trish, Tomorrow is the big day. You'll be fine and on your way to a better life. I'm 8 weeks out from a BTKR and my knees feel better now than before surgery.
post when you can
Wanda
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022
  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Back
Top Bottom