Guest viewing is limited

MUA LTKR, 8 weeks out; MUA at week 5; worried about ROM

@Polkadot, I second what Thesoutherncook said about Gabapentin. I've been on it for several years due to back problems and have only had minimal bouts with knee zingers, restless legs and that awful sunburned sensation. Glad to hear the leggings helped you last night, but what a drag to hear you're Beauty Rest was so rudely interrupted; pffft!
 
Thank you, everyone! Your encouragement is like fine wine...or really good chocolate...or...

Fire Wolf, I'm definitely going to be rereading your supportive comments again and again! It helps so much to know that others go through the same feelings and problems. I'm wondering why we can be so kind to others and less so to ourselves?

Pheebs52, I do have some Gabapentin, which was originally prescribed for my carpal tunnel problems, I think, or maybe my back spasms. Althugh my nurse sister would say I should go to the doctor first, I'm trying what I have left and will go to my GP to get a new prescription after. I have maybe 4-5 days of it to try.

I saw the movie The Big Sick, which was about to leave the theater. Otherwise, I probably wouldn't have tried going yet. It was a really great movie! One of the physical therapy assistants put me onto it; he told me it was his favorite movie of the year. Now I like him even more for admitting that; it's definitely not a man's man movie. It's romantic, sad, funny, and I thought insightful. Some language, but no violence.

BTW, I forgot to mention one other good thing. I was diagnosed last year as "pre-diabetic." The stress and inactivity of walking bone-bone, dragging myself around, for 6 months before the surgery, tipped me over the edge to "diabetic." (Drat the darn numbers again!) Before surgery I was having a hard time getting blood-sugar control. After a crazy up-down week of blood-sugar numbers directly after the surgery, the good news is that I am now consistently in the target zone! This experience has helped me get my meals under control, because I have to eat them to counteract the side effects of the medications. I used to skip breakfast, eat lunch very late, etc, which was all bad for my blood sugar. So good things DO come of adversity! (though I wouldn't wish a TKR on anyone)
 
Hi Polkadot!! So glad to hear that you got the bloodsugar managed. What a hassle to have to worry about that in addition to TKR. I hope the gabapentin works for you. I will be on the lookout for that movie around here - sounds like it's right in my genre wheelhouse. Drats to interrupted sleep . . your 11 week report was really good though.
 
Glad I could help, Polka dot! I admit that I wish I joined here sooner to have had the support through some very dark days. But everything for a reason I suppose. Unlike you, however, I do have a list of several people that I would wish a TKR on! Keep up the great work, and rest!
 
Well... if you press me hard enough... I guess I could think of one or two people who could learn something from a TKR...:heehee:
 
Last edited by a moderator:
This weekend I finally got over to Lake Michigan, to the condo we purchased a few months before my lameness and subsequent surgery! I did well, even going up and down the 27 steps several times. Still one foot at a time, but just tiredness at the top or bottom, not pain. I was able to do a few things, then rest; do a few more, rest some more; and so on. The next-door neighbors saw we were there and invited us to a cocktail party. We went for a little while and met some nice people.

I have to report that you guys were right about walking on sand. Yesterday we went to an area of beach that was mostly just flat walking--about a half a football field out to the water, and then we walked up and down on the packed sand. I found that sand-walking was much trickier than I expected. In the loose sand, I held onto my husband. On the packed sand, I didn't have to do that as much, but was less steady than I thought. I didn't think about how there's a slope down to the water just before the lap of the waves. I managed a half hour there, including coming and going from the car. I decided that if and when I go over there by myself--hopefully soon!--I will stick to the areas that have a boardwalk and leave the sand-walking for when my DH can be with me.

I surprised myself and DH with some tears after that walk. It was so emotional to be on the sand, doing what I thought I would have been doing weekly since late spring. I also think I was emotional because I recognized and had to deal with the limits of what I can do now. Baby steps, in more ways than one!
 
ahhh that's great you went somewhere you love and also had some social time with nice people. sounds like a beautiful beach ~ what is the name of it? i love beaches. the great lakes have some lovely beaches. i love your new avatar also. is that one of your paintings? it is beautiful.
 
You made it to that beach! That's a big step, not a baby step! Your tears should have been tears of joy. You are on the way to full recovery. As you know, it takes time.
 
We went to Pere Marquette Beach in Muskegon. I remember going there as a child. It's almost the same as I remember, some 50 years later! In fact, one of the swings looked at least 50 years old.

Yes, that is one of my old paintings. I'm hoping to get myself going to do some more drawing and painting soon. While I was taking the narcotics, I tried, but I had trouble with blurred vision and eye-hand coordination, not to mention mental concentration and sitting for very long, so I gave up. Thanks for noticing it!
 
I painted for years until it got to painful to sit in the chair. Now, with the kitties, I'd be nuts to try it again. I'd have kitty feet prints of artist paint all over my floors! It looks like you like to do landscapes. Me, too. Before long you will be able to get back to it. You need to keep it up. You are very talented!
 
You are quite talented indeed! So glad to hear that you were able to enjoy some normal people stuff! Fyi, and not that you want to bring back an old *friend* but they do make cane *tips* for the beach. It's similar in concept to snowshoes, but for cane. Of course, snowshoes for the beach might work also!:heehee: In any case, can find them on Amazon, and they work quite well.
 
Thank you, @Fire wolf ! I may look into that. I have to admit, though, that although I grew up in Northern Michigan, I never quite mastered the use of snow shoes. And they were exhausting!

Speaking of which, I just got caught up on your thread, and you have really been put through the wringer with getting back to work, Bio Spence problems, and such. Amazing how you can buoy me up so much and still struggle with your own journey. :tiredwheel:
 
You're welcome. My mother, who had 2 knee replacements, one of which went horribly wrong, also fractured her ankle not long after finally starting to gain some grounds after 2nd (horrible) knee replacement, got one so that she could walk on the beach on a recent and long overdue vacation, and she was thrilled with it.
 
@Polkadot, I'm delighted to hear you not only made a trip to the condo, managed all those stairs, socialized with some new people, but you walked on the sand! Brava! You beat me to it, lol. I know you said it was difficult and I'm sure it was, especially if there was a fairly steep slope. The transition area between soft/hard sand is also tricky, even with two *good* knees. Regardless, you did it, and made a little, summery dream come true! *Applauding*

I love the perspective, shadows and varied shades of blue in your painting; just gorgeous! I can feel the water just gazing at it.

Note to self: Must photograph a painting, lol. :wink:
 
Your painting is beautiful! I noticed it first off today. Keep at it...the muse will return. I thought I was ready to get back to painting, but not yet. It will come.

My cousin is begging us to go to the FL panhandle beach with them in Sept. I KNOW I will not be ready. I appreciate how difficult it is to walk in the sand, especially sand that is like sugar! Next summer!! I envy ypur success!
 
So glad you were able to get to the beach - growing up not far from Pere Marquette beach-- I'm quite envious. Perhaps next summer. I'm very happy for you that you got to do a few "normal" things this past weekend. It's interesting what things can trigger the waterworks. I was just sobbing in my garden on Sunday morning - not even sure why.
 
Today I walked downstairs foot over foot for the first time! It wasn't pretty, and it wasn't quite correct form, but I did it. When I tried to repeat later today, it just wasn't happening. I'll keep testing it out!
 

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom