MUA LTKR, 8 weeks out; MUA at week 5; worried about ROM

Kneerah @Polkadot! It sounds like you and I are on about the same page with the knees, but no surprise there, eh? The trip sounds like it was great fun despite a few uncomfortable nights in bed.:spin: I'd say the dunes tour and wine tasting were well worth a little discomfort, but best of all, you snapped back quickly, and that's exactly what happened to me on our recent trip. Days=fun, nights w/o ice in strange beds=a bit rough. Following morning, ready to roll again!

Though I have not had any problems with extension, I too, find dawdling and standing in lines less comfy than walking. I blame my tight hamstrings and should probably stretch them more, especially when I know in advance there will be more than a normal amount of just standing still. At least we no longer need to leave a store when there's a long check-out line; hah!

@Celle, your falling stories made my hair stand on end and that's not easy to do; egads! The escalator saga was especially frightful! I'm so glad you didn't so any serious damage either time; phew!
 
I hate the dawdling and standing involved in shopping and sightseeing too. Just straight walking is much better I find. I had to stand for about an hour yesterday at a drinks reception and, on finally sitting, my knees were not happy! Luckily I was- as the champagne and canapés made it (almost) worthwhile!
 
I had a rum and Diet Coke, my first "hard" drink in 5 months, at the soirée--it was tasty, but I think the bite-sized desserts lifted my spirits a bit more! Oh, and the giant strawberries, with which I consoled myself after I had two "dessert bites." I "passed" on the mixer the second night. My DH went by himself and did the requisite connection-making, which he says is the most important part of these meetings for him. He often clinches plans about getting grants or whatever out in the hall while the meetings are going on! I wouldn't know. My profession required strict attendance in the meetings and PD sessions, so the only times we chatted with colleagues was maybe over dinner.

@Pheebs52, thanks for the reminder to stretch my hamstrings. They've always been a bane to me, even before surgery, so I really should be doing that. Hamstring stretches aren't even that hard! It's just remembering to do them.
 
I too favour the "keep moving" approach to standing still. If that happens, I always find myself looking for a place to sit, a wall to lean on or an excuse to leave!
 
BTW I am a little jealous of your trip to the lovely Traverse City. I am so glad you had a good time there and hopefully recovered from any lasting effects of your shopping expeditions. We used to go to Boyne, MI for a lovely long weekend at Boyne Highlands and Traverse City was one of our shopping outings.
 
@Canada35, isn't that "up north" area beautiful? Boyne Highlands is a great place. My retired girlfriend works in the pro shop there so she can get a reduced rate on her golf outings.
 
Good morning, friends! I need some advice. I'm about 5 months out from surgery, and I'm wondering if I should attempt a trip from Michigan to North Carolina/Georgia soon. My mom's sister died recently, and Mom sounds "fine" on the phone, but a visit may be in order.

I can fly and rent a car, but that has become so expensive, especially since I also have to rent a hotel room for the stay and pay for meals--I usually budget ahead, but couldn't for this. The physical demands of this scenario is an hour's drive to the airport, about 5 hours "airport time," including wait time, and then 2.5 hours drive to the destination. Stay 4-5 days, then repeat in reverse to get home.

I can drive my own car. I'm wondering if I can drive about 6.5 hours each day for two consecutive days, staying about halfway there overnight. Stay about the same amount of time, then home. I've driven this once by myself, pre-TKR--usually in the past my husband has gone with me.

What do you think, especially those of you who have driven a distance--@Fire wolf and @Pheebs52 come to mind?
 
A couple questions come to mind: 1) what's the longest you've driven and how did your knee react? And 2) what is your plan for if the driving turns out to be too much for you?

Considering the MUA, I'm maybe a month ahead of you. I'm pretty sure I could drive for a couple of hours, stop and walk out the knee for a bit, then continue for another two, etc.. I've done two hour drives, though not as the driver. Still, my knees are happy with driving. If yours are also, then the driving itself might not be an issue.

You might find that your knee swells a lot. If that happens, you need a plan. Are you bringing ice supplies? You will likely need them. I'm traveling the first week of November (flying and renting a car) and have arranged for relatives to have stocked extra bags of frozen corn or peas just for my knees, should they be needed. The good thing about driving the whole way is you can bring along an ice chest.

I'm sure you have the determination to do the drive. :ok: Yours is a long drive, though, so you may find yourself needing extra stops and lots of ice. The flying would be the best for your knee, but if you think you can do the drive, might as well give it a try. Your Mom probably does need you, and being there for our loved ones is right at the top of the "More Important Than a Five-Month Old Knee" list.
 
Hi Polkadot --- I think you can do the drive, knowing that you will experience some stiffness and swelling that will probably be better by the next day. I drove 4 hours to and from Denver this past weekend (drove there on Thursday afternoon and back yesterday) with no ill effects - we stopped at the two hour mark for a stretch and bathroom break. I was a little more stiff but better in the morning. I've done the Denver trip a few times now since surgery - did it by myself at the end of July with no bad repercussions. I had to do all of the driving there this past weekend as DW was having back issues and I had to drive all the way back as we bought a new vehicle - so had two to get home. Take some bags (and your lounge doctor if you have one) so that you can get ice at the motel for icing and elevating. In fact, sitting in the driver's seat of the car will probably be more comfortable than a cramped airplane seat. We also did a drive from CO to Kansas in mid-July (about 14 hours each way) - of course I was a passenger for part of the time, only driving 3-4 hours at a time. Now I have no qualms about long drives as I know that I bounce back quickly.
 
Last edited:
Good afternoon,
I think if you are generally feeling pretty good either scenario would work. I think I would opt myself for the drive as it's less expensive and you have the freedom to change up the plan if it gets to be too much. In saying that, I agree with the others about having a plan to stop for breaks and a plan for icing and elevating at nights especially the one on the road. I'm sure the drive from Michigan to North Carolina would be gorgeous at this time of year.
I did a six hour drive at 10 weeks out with being a passenger most of the time but driving in very heavy traffic for 3+ hours and I have since done a trip to a friends cottage up north 4+ hours alone at 4 months out. Each time I was needing to ice and elevate after the drive but especially the second trip, the repercussions were over with quickly.
I am headed to Palm Springs, Ca in 4 weeks time ( flying and renting a car there) but that will probably be too late to report to you before you make your decision.
Supporting your Mom is probably one of those times when a little pain = lots of gain!
 
PS: I love driving so that probably colors my encouragement of it . . . I lived in N Carolina for twelve years prior to moving to Colorado and have done that drive from NC to MI lots of times. Glad you are considering going to give your mom some support.
 
you've been given some good tips for a long drive. since it's your left knee in question, i think you will do fine driving as long as you stop half way and take a break. i find that driving myself is easier on my left knee than being a passenger since i can stretch a little more if need be. we had a 2-1/2 hour drive each way when i was 12 weeks or so post op and although it was uncomfortable for a few minutes getting out of the car (and in the car), i made out fine and went to an outdoor theatre with cheap, uncomfortable plastic chairs, then socializing at the dining room table afterwards with our hosts and 2 other couples; we stayed overnight. at the time i had wished we hadn't made the commitment as when the tickets were bought i didn't have a date for my surgery. then we had to do the same thing 2 weeks later and go back home on the same night after the outdoor theatre. sometimes you just have to find the strength, especially when it comes to important family matters.

having said that, the flight would probably be easier on you (except for the cost) and definitely get you there faster and you could spend more time at your destination. whatever you decide to do, stay safe. i'm very sorry you lost your aunt and i'm sure your mom is devastated at losing her sister.
 
Hi, @Polkadot, I did some very long days in the car at about 5-6 months (up to 8 hours in the car). I wasn't driving though. I was fine as long as I iced when we arrived at our destination and I got some walking in. Since like me, it is your left leg, I think as long as you stop every couple of hours you should be fine. I drove to a friend's during this time, too, two hours from home and then we took her car to her cabin another 2 hours away and it was fine. I would have been able to drive that additional two hours if needed. One way or another, I hope you go. It will do you and your mom good to share a hug.
 
Having cruise control is a big help, too. That way you can bend and stretch both of your knees while driving. I still do that! But, stopping and walking is a much. Shoot, even if you hadn't had a knee replacement, a person should do that!
 
So if I am reading this correctly, even if you fly you have a good 2.5 hour drive (in a vehicle unfamiliar to you) to your destination, after driving an hour to the airport, sitting in airport and on cramped airplane for however long flight is? If you drive, it's approximately 2 days each way of approximately 6.5 hrs each day, in unknown (to me) type vehicle that you are familiar with?

Given that information is correct, I can only tell you what I would do, not what I recommend or otherwise suggest that you do. I would drive. Bionic Spence has had no issues driving 2 hrs one way, and has been doing so since about week 12, and bc he is a righty, he has been responsible for pedal controls. I do use cruise control when possible, which isn't often on that trip, but it still gives Spence a chance to stretch and get a break. I know that your trip is considerably longer, but for me, I would feel ok with it. The longest road trip Spence has had was 4 hours, which was 2 hrs to pick up supplies and turn around and head 2 hrs home, and he was fine.

Also, my vehicle is comfortable (not a sub-compact) enough for me to be able to stretch a little and change leg positions (albiet only slightly), which is enough for me not to get too stiff. I also will do buttock squeezes and tighten quads (both legs at same time and alternating legs), holding for about 5 sec, just to keep things moving, so to speak, which I feel helps reduce stiffness for me.

Also, if need be you can stop at a rest area or something and strap some ice on during the drive if you packed cooler with ice packs, which you would not be able to do in airport or on plane. On plane, one of my bigger concerns (which I know does not apply to all people) is having the seat in front of me touching my knees, and having person in seat in front of me bang around alot (think child) or move seat up and back frequently (think any fidgety and inconsiderate adult:snork:).

I would just feel like I have more control over taking care of myself by driving, and like @kmak81230, I enjoy driving (usually, except sometimes for work when I have no choice! :heehee:).

I am sure that you will make the best decision for you! Please travel safely whichever way you choose to travel!
 
@Polkadot, my recent trip was just 4 hours one way, and we did stop twice along the way to walk and stretch. I only drove for one hour, but could have driven for two, judging by how I felt. I was stiff when we arrived, but hey, I'm stiff at home as well, so that wasn't a huge deal. My biggest problem was *cooler failure* which rendered my ice-packs useless and a hotel room without a freezer. When I do it again (which will be soon) I will definitely have one of those old fashioned ice-packs with me that can be filled with cubes and/or stay in a place with an in room freezer! I also brought extra pillows for the car and hotel if needed, and twin sized, egg crate, mattress topper. Just call me a "Girl Scout," LOL.

Everyone has already given you great tips, so I'll just say I'm sure your car is a lot more comfy than a cramped plane and you can stop as needed; both big pluses!

My condolences on the loss of your Aunt. I just know your mother will appreciate your presence. (((Hugs)))
 
Hello, everyone,
Wow, each of you gave me something to think about! Thank you so much. I'm thinking that I will drive, probably leaving toward the end of next week.

@SusieShoes, great questions. The longest I've driven is 3 hours with about a 45-minute lunch break in between. The longest I've been a passenger is 4 hours, with a 10-minute stop in the middle. My knee did okay as long as I had the breaks. So my plan will be to split the drive into spurts of about an hour and a half each, with stops to walk a bit, and a longish stop in the middle for lunch. I can stop more if needed. Usually I go down I-75 (booo-rrrrr-Ing), but I'm thinking about taking a smaller highway along the border of Ohio and Indiana, until I get to Kentucky. It will add a bit to the time the first day, but it's a more scenic route with some interesting places to stop, plus I've been wanting to take some photos of farms and old houses along that route, for future painting references. I can keep my muscles moving by doing some of that. I'll just have to make sure to leave fairly early in the day because I'd like to get to a hotel in Lexington by dinner time. And what if I find driving is too much for me? WEll, I think the worst that would happen is that I might not make it to Lexington and would have to stop at a hotel earlier. Then the next day I would drive as long as I could stand it, and might have to take a hotel a second night. But that's not likely--I would probably just try to make more stops, with more time at each stop, the second day, and take things slower.
 
@liam2015 and @Canada35, your own experiences are very helpful to me. I've made it through some similar outings, so why wouldn't I be able to do this? I suppose the unusual thing is thatTha I'll be alone. I'm not a great long-distance driver at the best of times--I get sleepy! But the TKR will make me stop and do a little walking, and that should help with that!

Canada, I also find that driving with the LTKR is more comfortable than being a passenger. Don't tell my doctor, but I drove (with my DH as passenger) the hour-and-a-half to and from every appointment after my surgery. I never asked him for "clearance," and he never discussed it; I cut out the meds before each trip, and was very steady and alert.

@kmak18230, it is such a small world, isn't it? In some details, we have been living parallel lives! I too like driving quite a lot, even though my DH does most of it when we're together. The drive across the mountains from Kentucky into Tennessee is gorgeous, and now I shall think of you traveling the same way, which will keep me company. It's a good thing to go now, rather than in a month or so. Sometimes that stretch is closed due to weather. Once my sister was trapped there for 24 hours in a blizzard. :yikes:

Thanks, @phrog, for the vote of confidence! I surely hate icing now, but will reluctantly outfit a cooler with the requisite supplies. A la @Pheebs52, I'll take a supply of ziplock bags along in case I have to "punt" with ice cubes. The nurses sent me home from surgery with ice in a ziplock, then corralled into one of the surgical hair covers that look like shower caps. The cap helped flatten the bag on one side and keep it steady. There was no leakage, and the thing sat in my car unnoticed for weeks after I got home. One day, we found this large ziplock full of water, encased in a shower cap! What??
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom