Guest viewing is limited

MUA LTKR, 8 weeks out; MUA at week 5; worried about ROM

A Victory of Sorts:
It all started with my husband's wardrobe, or lack thereof. Ever since my knee bones started grinding together, I have avoided shopping and have made do for myself with online ordering. My husband hates to shop and lasts about a half hour on a good day. So for the past year or more, he has gotten by with what we bought for him several years ago. This isn't usually a problem, as he is on the best-dressed list at his university when he wears jeans without holes, a collared shirt, and a clean sweater.

This week, however, he announced that he had to go shopping--all his collars are threadbare, socks have holes in them, and pants are ratty. (Because he hates to shop, everything is bought close together in time, so everything seems to wear out at about the same time). I knew he'd have sticker shock when he got out there--he expects 1970s prices because he does this so seldom! So when a couple of really good coupons and an announcement of a men's sale at Kohls arrived in our mailbox a few days ago, I was feeling good, and I decided to go scout out the merchandise, thinking that I could forestall multiple unproductive "half hours" of shopping with DH. My plan was to dash in (ha! More like amble in), take a quick look, and back out.

Rosebud had other ideas. She not only carried me around the entire store at least three times and lingered, standing without pain at a variety of racks and displays, she also stood in a couple of long lines without complaint. She carried on for over an hour and a half of shopping and didn't need ice or elevation when we got home.

The best part was getting to do something for DH, who has done so much for me these past months. I brought home every easy-care woven shirt and pant I could find, in colors and patterns I could stand, thinking that he would be more comfortable trying on and deciding on things at home; and knowing I could return anything he didn't want. Lo and behold: he kept them all! (Yay, probably at least 2 more years of shirt-and-pant-free shopping, according to his standards!)

Even more astounding, he suggested we should visit the store after dinner the same day to pick out underwear. (When did men's underwear get so diverse?!? I couldn't decide what he'd want. He of course went straight to the classic Hanes that he's worn forever. I couldn't even find it earlier). Rosebud not only went along with that, she also pranced him over to a few other areas so he could stumble upon a few other things he needed. Again, no pain, no icing. Nothing!

Afterward we went to the park and did a shortened walk, as Rosebud was starting to complain on the downward slopes. She was a champ, however, and the next day had only a little soreness.

Oh, and I should say that Rosebud had on sandals for the afternoon shopping, which are the supportive footbed kind but which I have avoided if going on longer walks. Since I thought it was a dash and not a 3K outing, I didn't bother to change the shoes.
 
Go Rosebud! And you now have a spiffy, well-dressed husband to boot. That's quite a day no matter how you look at it. :snork: You've not only reached the top of Recovery Hill, you're coasting down the rest of the slope. Beware of potholes and bumps and other dangers, but enjoy the ride!
 
Well done @Polkadot and Rosebud!! Glad you could do something for DH, including not putting him through the torture of extended shopping - and you got to choose what would look good. It's great to have those days where the knee starts to feel like we hoped it would pre-surgery! Yeah for you! :yes!:
 
I'm more flabbergasted by your hubby suggesting an additional shopping spree later in the day than by Rosebud enjoying her shopping tour, lol! She really aced this gig, lol!:rotfl:

Oh, and now that you've brought this to my attention, I just might hafta do the same for Mistah's wardrobe; hahahaha!:SUNsmile:

I'll raise a toast to all of you tonight! Cheers!:cheers:
 
Way to go, Rosebud! I did have to laugh when reading the post, as I am very much like your DH! I hate to shop, and will wear things for years until I have to buy new stuff again! I actually need to find somewhere else to get my khaki pants from, as my former *supplier* stopped carrying them in tall sizes. Talk about being thrown a curve ball! What nerve of them! Ok, maybe I only bought pants every few years, but still, they should be there when I kneed them! :heehee:
 
My mother has always said that people who use "bad language" don't have much imagination, but...

:censored: :banghead: :censored: :banghead: :censored: :banghead:

Yesterday I had my first "maintenance" session. Almost half the hour was spent with a PTA, reviewing how to do settings on equipment, where things like foam pads and timers are kept, etc. (May I just say as an aside that I wish she had spelled my exercises correctly on the chart on which I will be recording? It's a teacher thing, I guess). For the rest of the hour, I then did the same exercises I have been doing at PT. In the evening, DH and I did a 1.3-mile walk, slowly with good form and good shoes. By bedtime, Rosebud was irritated--not visibly swollen, but ouchy and cross.

I've had 4 nights of almost-decent sleep. Count 'em: FOUR NIGHTS where I woke up only a couple of times and went back to sleep almost immediately. Four nights of fairly comfortable side-sleeping on either side. Last night, that all came to a screaming halt. Although I took some Tylenol, Rosebud simply would not settle down. I was back to the "rotisserie chicken" thing again. Plus, my restless legs came back. Hate it!!!!! Hate it, hate it, hate it!!!!

I was sooooooo disappointed, and that is an understatement. I guess I should have iced and elevated, but like @Fire wolf, I am also sooooo over swelling. I want it to be gone. I want to pretend it isn't there. I want to tough out the ouchies and have things be okay.

There. Rant over. Do I feel better? I'm not sure, but Rosebud is a bit less cranky this morning.
 
oh darn to the "rotisserie" night and i had just read about your successful shopping trip with your hubby ~ fantastic your knee and you had the stamina. did the "maintenance" session with the p.t.a. have anything to do with your uncomfortable night. i still can't sleep for very long on either side before my knee starts feeling uncomfortable but that's okay, i'm just fine on my back with dr. lounge. yes, i think you better take the time to ice and elevate.:ice: and maybe a little :martini: will help.
 
Ahhhhh @Polkadot Just when I was cheering out loud for your hugely successful shopping trips, I encountered your bump In the road. That Rosebud just couldn't leave well enough alone could she? Well tell her you will have no such shenanigans today or tonight! Give her a bit of slack though cause she really did try hard this week!
 
I'm so sorry. I think I'd skip maintenance and do your own. That shopping trip proves you can handle maintenance on your own terms!

And I definitely agree about the spelling!
 
Sounds to me like you joined the ODIC again, didn't ya? Of course, I'm the gal who blew off PT and decided to find happiness in nature, home improvement, and retail therapy.

It's natural to want to hurry recovery along. The thing is... are you listening to Rosebud? Maybe Rosebud isn't ready for all that PT just yet. Maybe she just wants to go shopping and enjoy a little icing after. :ice:
 
Good grief -- darn that maintenance program and poor spelling PTA. So sorry to hear about the ouchy knee and lack of good sleep - no wonder we didn't see you in the social room. I agree with Jockette. Your time might be better spent doing your own thing in terms of maintenance. I sure hope Rosebud starts to feel better really soon - if not too ouchy perhaps a short walk today would be helpful.
 
Thanks for your very reasonable responses to my unreasonable pique! I was down to my last nerve; I was trying to do what was best for Rosebud and for me, and it turned out to be exactly the wrong thing. I've come to a similar conclusion to all of you--I need to take it easy on the exercise and do more walking and ADLs.

@liam2015, I may relax with an adult beverage tonight. I'd gotten out of the habit because of the opioids, but they have been gone from my life for a while, so good idea!

@Canada35 and @Jockette, yes, I was proud of Rosebud and shopping! I guess I should let her do more of that and quit trying to push her to do the elliptical. Who am I to think that I might transform into an athlete at this late stage of the game, anyway?!

@SusieShoes, yep, it was ODIC for sure. I've tried to be so careful about staying out of that trap. Nature and retail therapy are sounding really good to me--not so sure about the home improvement, although I do have a few closets that need to be cleaned out! :heehee: (Sorry, I just couldn't resist that)

@kmak81230, we're definitely doing that short walk tonight. Our temperatures have been in the mid-90s for the past five days, and walking has been challenging. Tonight it will be a cool 73 degrees. Rosebud will love it. I've taken it easy all day today, so she should cooperate.

Again, thanks, friends. I hope that box of patience Pheebs promised arrives really soon. I guess I need a big dose of it.
 
Keep that great sense of humor. Patience likes to hang out with Humor. Perhaps you can say to Rosebud, "Okay, you win. We'll do it your way for now," and take a little break. There's always time down the road for elliptical machines. I rather like elliptical machines myself and have joined (rejoined) a gym, so that's an item on the Master Plan for post-recovery strengthening. This recovery has a long timeline.
 
Rats!!! I'm so very sorry to hear all of this @Polkadot! You had been doing so well with sleeping in a non-rotisserie fashion, and that, accompanied by the marathon shopping expedition seemed to be loaded with the promise of *normalcy.*

The shiny machines and gyms will not disappear in another month or three....they'll still be there when you're ready to use them. I think it's a wise idea to lace up the walking shoes each day. Walking IS working for you and most of us, and right now, we kneed a different yardstick to measure success. Quite simply, I feel it's "Whatever Works," that doesn't bite back. So much can and does bite back, why go there at all?

My money says you did the nocturnal chicken dance because of leg discomfort generated by that miserable class. If Rosebud is happier today, I'll bet tonight you may start a new trend of sleeping that will actually last! Here's hoping!:martini: If she's not happier tonight, have another!:wink:
 
Had a great walk tonight in the cooler weather. Haven't been back to maintenance since Tuesday. I think I'll wait a couple of weeks and try again. In the meantime, I'm going to check out the pool at the Y.
 
I do hope that Rosebud enjoyed her walk :walking: and that she is rewarding you with a lovely night's sleep. :sleeep: It sounds to me like your spirits are back up again, which is wonderful if that is the case. (Hmm, yes, I would imagine that a case of spirits :martini::beer::cheers2::cheers: would be wonderful for many people! :rotfl:)
 
@Fire wolf, yes, I think I have bounced back. It's a relief to determine at least a short-term course of action: walk more, move more, stretch more, and take mini vacation from the organized exercise.

This morning I noticed a pocket of soft tissue behind my knee that seems to be impeding my "bend." It doesn't hurt...I'm thinking swelling, but there's no feeling of stiffness or hardness that I associate with that :censored: condition.

I hope your weekend is filled with fun things for you and Spence!
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom