TKR LTKR 3/11

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yep, that other knee can make itself known after the first one is replaced....mine did and I went ahead and had it replaced 7 months after the first one.

Best of luck as your recovery continues and as you approach your next TKR.
 
So the last few nights have been pretty rough!! I have ran fever and just hurt! No redness or anything ad normal in the knee area. Fever did not go over 102 which was listed on the discharge papers as when to call doctor. I did get concerned so I called the hospital and spoke to a nurse who was so certain I had the flu based on two things 1-I had fever and 2-I said my leg was aching. Well I knew it was not the flu because I had a flu shot and had the flu last year and I remember what that was like. I told the nurse I felt like the swelling was making me ache more than I had been the pervious nights. Anyway she made me mad just because she didn't want to listen to me and thought she knew it all.
Last night I sweat so much that it actually woke me up (not that I'm sleeping longer than 1 1/2 hours anyway). Last night was the first night back in my own bed as I have been sleeping in recliner or couch.
Yesterday I went to town with my oldest son. We were gone about 5 hours. I thought it would kill me but it was actually great. When to eye doctor, out to eat, Walmart and the short errands stop. My son made me get on one of the motorized carts at Walmart. I was kind of embarrassed at first then got over it. Lol. But was surprised at how rude and disrespectful people are to the disabled. I was rammed several times with carts. I was almost feel on as someone was not watching were she was walking and kids who would just cut across my moving cart and stop or expect me to yield to their moves. I was never so glad to leave the store because of the people. I was ready for a nap when we got back home but I didn't even do that as I immediately got iced down then hooked up to CPM machine.

Therapist came today. I was able to do all exercise without any support and approximately at a 93 degree bend. I'm super excited on "my" progress.

I'm kind of bummed that I can't be at the hospital today with my dad as he is having surgery to remove colon cancer. Thank God they caught it early but I still wanted to be there for him. This is the first time he has ever has any type of surgery or anything major, so he was a little nervous last night. My step-mom is keeping me updated as much as possible.

Okay that seems to be my thoughts today! Lol hope everyone else is having a productive and awesome day!!


LTKR 3/11/15; RTKR 4/22/15
 
Sending best wishes for your Dad, I'm sure he understands why you can't be there.

I'm impressed you left home for that long, I went out today for the first time to visit the Dr. And it was less than 2 hours and I was wiped out.

Have a great day yourself :)


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
I have had a really bad time the last few days. Almost like I hit a wall. My pain has been overwhelming and it doesn't help that I have noticed that I'm running low on my pain meds. Next doctor appointment is Friday. I think getting these staples out with be a major help and relief. Yesterday my stomach was so upset that my taste buds were off and could barely eat. My husband and boys went fishing and they fried up some potato and bass for dinner. Which is one of my favorite meals, but I could barely eat. I have been very emotional. Crying like a baby. Today my husband made me go outside to get fresh air and sunshine. I have to admit it did me good. I did stay out for about an hour and when no one was watching I pulled some weeds out of my flowerbeds.

I guess this is the "angry knee" phase and pardon me but it sucks. I was feeling so good and like I was progressing like a super star. Now I'm a whiny baby. Boohoo! My husband keeps asking if I'm getting depressed and I tell him no that's not what's going on. I just feel like my air has been let out of my balloon. I'm a strong woman, wife and mother and this helpless is getting the better of me.

Reading everyone's post has helped me see I'm not alone and this is normal to others too. But this phase is a bummer!

And as this is the first forum I have ever been on... I didn't think I would post much. But it does allow me to get things off my chest and makes me feel better by the end.


LTKR 3/11/15; RTKR 4/22/15
 
Call your OS office, leave a message and ask for a refill. Because of regulations you will have to pick up the paper script. Friday is too long to wait if you are getting nervous about running out of pain meds. My taste was off as well. Nothing sounded good to me, nothing tasted right. I also had major melt down with crying long & hard over nothing at all. Cut yourself some slack, don't overdo. If you still have a fever, let the OS know (that is why they all take turns being on call!)


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Hi Steph, I am right there with you on the "blue mood"..I had it my 1st week and part of 2nd week after my TKR and then when I hit the 3rd week I felt like I had this all under control, I was a Rock Star! Then the 4th week came and I kid you not, the tears began flowing once again..I feel like the biggest boob on earth..I am usually a very strong woman and have a high threshold for pain, but this surgery is proving me otherwise...Bless my husband for listening to me whine and watch me cry..he has been a trooper through all of this...I had decided that I was going to ween myself off of the pain meds, figured I could handle this with out them..well guess what, I was WAY wrong..Instead of weening, I pretty much just stopped them and my body and mind were not happy..so now I am back on them and am trying work through this recovery with a different mind set, since the other way was clearly not working..We will get thru this, blue moods and all..hang in there and remember...YOU GOT THIS!! Life is Good..
 
I'm not sure if you have had the recovery articles posted for you yet, but I'm going to put them here for you to read (or read again). This is serious surgery and you are less than 2 weeks out from it! I know you feel like you should be doing some normal things, but as you've seen even small things can make you very tired and your knee will hurt. Please try to allow yourself these weeks until your second surgery to rest and heal. You don't need to be doing a lot of exercises. Gentle bends and stretches throughout the day along with short walks in the house or just outside should be it.

First are the BoneSmart mantras ....

- rest, elevate, ice and take your pain meds by the clock
- if it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a therapist (PT) - to do it to you
- if your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again
- if you won't die if it's not done, don't do it
- never stand when you can sit, never sit when you can lie down, never stay awake when you can go to sleep!
- be active as much as you need to be but not more than is necessary, meaning so much that you end up being in pain, exhausted or desperate to sit down or lie down!

Next is a FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions) thread.

And here are some very crucial articles

The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
Myth busting: no pain, no gain
Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?
Activity progression for TKRs
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of TKR recovery
Energy drain for TKRs
Elevation is the key
Ice to control pain and swelling
Home physio (PT) and activity progress: suggestions
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

And then some wise words from members who have shared their experiences ...
Where are you in recovery?? (TKR)
Five “P’s” of knee recovery
TKR: work “smarter” and not “harder”
Recovering a knee - from one who knows!
It's never too late to get more ROM!
It's worth the wait for ROM
 
The CPM machine is such a great thing--I loved it both times and still sometimes wish for my old friend. :)
 
Hang in there @stephjoe . This phase can be a bummer. But it is a phase--a part of the healing process. YOu'll get there.
 
Well my last few days have been very productive and great! Yesterday I got out with the husband to go visit my in-laws and we went to the feed store to get feed. Great trip out! Then this morning I walked to the mailbox (about a block each way) and then around the house to see how my roses and spring flowers were doing. My knee felt great. Very pretty day. So glad the "angry knee" phase has passed. What a crazy roller coaster this is.
Right now I'm laying here with the CPM machine bending at 110*. I feel like I could bump it up more but this is fine and on track (stretching but not hurting). Today's marks my 2 week with the new left knee and 4 weeks until the right comes!



LTKR 3/11/15; RTKR 4/22/15
 
Wow, good job! Im on week 5 right now and "Groot" is still in the angry knee stage at times..sometimes he behaves and other there is no making it happy...Getting out is such a nice thing to do..just saw on the news about the storms in OK..hope ya'll are ok! Keep up the good work!
 
You're doing well and listening to the knee.
 
Well it's been awhile since I have made a post. I have had the normal ups and downs but continuing to get better every day. My doctor released me to return to work. The week of 3/30, I worked two hours per day and did great. Got a lot of work done in such a short amount of time at the office. Last week my doctor approved me to work four hours per day until my next surgery on 4/22 (RTKR). I know it not everyone can go back to work as quickly, but I was ready mentally and physically. It has helped me in so many ways. It makes me want to do better and just the support has been encouraging. Still doing exercises daily. I think my ROM is 120 and flex is flat at 0. Still have swelling and sometimes stiffness. And of course my body still needs that mid afternoon nap. Nights are the hardest part of my current progress. It's weird because I may have one night of good sleep and the a few sleepless nights. Sleepless nights just aches and can't get Ms. Knee comfortable. Sometimes feels like an overused muscle and a sunburn. (there is no redness at all).

I am walking steady with the cane and really not looking forward to going back to the walker in 10 days! Lol. Balancing on the left leg is mostly steady but still needs some more practice.
I'm happy with the healing of the scar.

Well that's my 5½ week progress notes! ;)

Happy days to you all!!!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom