THR Loving recovery....said no one ever

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi from another mom of 3 - and grandmother of 4! Teenagers do grow up and we were lucky with our 3 boys, no trouble but after I went back to work full-time I just used to shut the doors on their rooms! If dirty laundry was in the basket I washed it but that was it, they soon found out buying non-iron shirts was a good idea.
I am now 15 weeks out and getting back to normal but still get very tired easily. I do still take Tramadol but it's more for arthritis in other joints, shoulders especially - I gave up walking aids early because they made my shoulders worse! It is very hard to remember that my hip got worse over several years and the muscles don't spring back instantly.
Do decorate your cane, we covered my late mother's one with bright stripes, mostly so we could identify it when she had left it somewhere!
Remember - rest, ice and medicate! Best wishes
Anne
 
re: swelling- I had still had some swelling of the leg (in varying degrees) up to past 8 weeks- but it is normal, be assured.What really helped alot for me is if you can get someone to massage out the foot and lower leg while you elevate it.

Myself, I am actually surprised you managed zero opiates at this point- and I mean for pain, nothing else. I had a 'bit more work done than usual' per the doc- so I am envious of those who could manage w/o them.

Oh, and I know patience is rather low at this point in your game- but do not be in too much a hurry! (see my thread for what could happen) - actually, my PT still felt I might be doing too much at ~5 mos out (meaning 3 bike rides a week). And I think it took to about 4 months to really feel more or less 'normal'- but I started ditching the cane at periods starting about 7-8 weeks, and actually still take it occasionally for evening walks.
 
put jeans on for the first time in 3 weeks, felt normal for a little bit. back in my pjs with some ice, its amazing how much a quick outing wears you out.
 
Ohhhh was glad to put my jeans on. Sick of joggies, felt like i was always in PJ's. lol. We went out this morning and i slept all afternoon. :sleep:
 
3 weeks today, feeling pretty good most of the time. Still a little sore in the muscles and a little moody sometimes. But 2 weeks ago when I was told Id be walking with a cane most of the time around the 3 week mark I thought they were all crazy, and now I have been walking with only the cane and feeling better about the thr more and more. I did however learn yesterday that going to church is still something I cannot do for awhile still. I did make it through my sons reading but had to leave shortly after those pew seats are way to low.
 
Yeah, those pew seats are low and very hard on the bum, taking a nice soft cushion is the way to go Aud. Our church has a couple of soft seats at the back for those who can't do the pews which is handy.
 
Go with the soft seats and an extra cushion for height Annie. I took my favourite cushion out for the car. Pink and silky. The edges of the car seat were digging in at my scar and swollen bum bits. B-)
 
Had a good couple of days and now im so sore. Time for some resting and ice, tomorrow will have to be a relaxing day to. But it did feel good to get out and to cook dinner, iam one who truly likes to cook and loves to bake. Which my goal for this weekend is to make a cheesecake.
 
You're doing brilliant, it feels great just doing things, especially when before you think it's going to be a hard recovery. I was worried about how long i would not be able to walk and about pain and it's been nothing like my mind was telling me. Pain was bearable and it was a good feeling not having hip pain, just some muscle pain and a wee sore knee. Cheesecake sounds good, yesterday i made cakes with my little monsters. That was fun. x
Aud
 
Josephine i was wondering if the incision is warm to the touch if that means an infection? Its not red or any more swollen than it was also no drainage but at the to of the incision it feels warm to the touch.
 
All major wounds and joints feel warm to the touch for many weeks after surgery. It's a sign of healing. So don't worry about it.
 
im actually doing very well thank you for asking BarbaraR
im walking only with a cane have been venturing outside alot more dont get me wrong i know i still have alot more to do and thanks to my pt who is so encouraging i feel good about the recovery path im on right now.
 
Quick update: Had my 6 week follow up, not that it was bad but really just felt os couldnt be bothered. He had me walk across room said things looked good but might want to get a lift gor non op side they seem to be almost a half inch off. Which is kind of funny cause my op leg has been shorter my whole life now its the longer one. When i asked if i could drive he asked if i thought i could when i said yes he said sure you should be fine. Also said not to worry about all the restrictions but didnt elaborate much, and that i could sleep in either side but should use a pillow. But when i try to sleep on non op side it really pulls some muscles on op side so for now ill stay off that side. I feel like things are going pretty well and start out patient pt next week, and im really hoping i like the pt cause it was sad when the lady who came for home pt said she wasnt coming back anymore cause i reached their goals. And would like to say with out her the last 6weeks would of been terrible she was so great physically and mentally to me and for me. The one thing around home now is that im starting to do more and doing so much better but not 100% which i know will still be awhile, but my family doesnt all seem to realize im still recuperating and expect me to be able to do everything. Its getting tiring to keep reminding them what i went through. I think without bone smart I would be lost, so thanks to all.
 
Hi momof3, sounds like you're just where you should be at 6 weeks--it's great that you can start driving. Can you talk to a few PT's before you choose one? I have a friend who's a PT who has a lot of experience with hip replacement, so i decided to go to her, even though it's about a 20 minute drive from my house, and there's a good PT practice practically around the corner--I saw him before the surgery, and he just didn't have that much experience with hip replacement patients. I hear you about expectations, and of course you want to be back to normal so you end up doing too much. I went to PT yesterday morning then worked from 12-8, and I woke up in the middle of the night in some pain--had to up the meds today. It can be disheartening--it's so much two steps forward, one back--just try to remember that you can't take care of others if you're not taking care of yourself. (I have to remind myself of that one, too.) XO
 
Hi...seems you had a strange meeting with your os. Some limitations to continue...I guess 6 weeks is an arbitrary minimum ...the important thing is to feel safe...I am 2 weeks behind you....from this site its clear that the reality of the healing process will vary person to person....and its going to be several more months before we can say....I am back to normal...if of course we can still remember normal :)
 
My leg was very swollen from my hip to ankle for the first 1.5 weeks, then it went away and I only have swelling under the surgical site. What I did was elevate my leg above my heart when in bed, both overnight, as well as during my afternoon naps. Also move your ankle back, forth and circular frequently while sitting. It is a normal reaction to the trauma of surgery. I also considered going to the hospital, but knew they were probably not going to do anything. Hope it goes away soon. Let me know if you have any questions - happy to provide insight into my experiences.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom