Guest viewing is limited

Revision TKR Lovetocookandsew’s long road to recovery

Horrible, @KarriB . I'm not in as bad a shape as you were, it's just been going on forever. I sleep only in fits and starts, I can't do anything that takes sitting, standing or walking for very long......and I hurt. No fever, and my labs are okay so far. He thinks I may have P. acnes or something similar. But no matter how sick I am I never run a fever.
 
Hello @lovetocookandsew

I'm so sorry to read of your experience. I can completely understand why you're so frustrated, you've every right to be.

I do hope that they can resolve this matter soon. It's rotten you're having to wait.

It's good that you have the support off all of us here and can vent your frustration. Anyone would be the same in your situation. I was mortified when I read what they'd done to your culture. Disgusted in point of fact.

Just remember you're not alone and and I'm with you all the way. There is always someone to chat to and share experiences with.

I hope you get somewhere with all this soon. Please take care

All my love
Ann xxx
 
Thanks, @Nana moon 27. I see my OS on Thursday. His assistant called me today...apparently she or they went through all my records since the TKR, found some infections I've had and they think I likely have an infection that settled in my knee. I don't know if he will do another aspiration Thursday as I mentioned I've been on antibiotics off and on for the last 6 weeks or so due to dental work, so we shall see what he says then. She did mention a revision, which is only on my list as a last resort, and also the clean-out and spacer replacement. I also had the metal allergy test which should be back by Thursday. I'll let you know when I know.
 
Google biofilm, if the infection has moved down to the biofilm an antibiotic spacer will be in place before you get a new knee. Josephine has explained the whole biofilm thing to me, but I don't understand it well enough to explain it to you. Something about if the infection has gone all the way to the implant the biofilm has been infected, thus the implant must come out. The antibiotic spacer contains antibiotics that will go into your bone to get rid of the infection. My OS went down to the implant, washed it with antibiotics and replaced the spacer.
If they think the infection is in your knee an aspiration is useless, just go for the surgery and see if a washout will solve the problem.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
The aspiration may be useful, to establish whether or not the joint is infected and, if it is, to identify the correct antibiotics to use.
 
Hi @Celle I don't know if you read the whole recent story. I had an aspiration almost two weeks ago. The lab screwed up and did a normal 5 day culture, then tossed it. It was supposed to be at least a two week culture. So now I have to possibly once again face the torture that is a knee aspiration. I'm not sure what my OS will do-I see him next Thursday and then we shall see.
 
I'm sorry - I didn't realise you've already had one aspiration. If you do need to have a second one, I'm sure it will only be because your OS thinks it's really necessary.
 
Hi @lovetocookandsew

I wish you so much luck and hope that this can be resolved as soon as possible. You are a good strong woman and very kind too. I'm sure this will go okay for you. It's just not nice having to be messed about with again. I can relate to that. Sending you a big hug from over here

All my love
Ann xxx
 
I'm so sorry to hear about all your problems and the frustration in trying to get the answers on what to do. I hope your doctors can finally come up with a plan so hat you can put all this behind you.:friends:
 
Hi all. I saw my OS today. He was going to do a repeat aspiration, but after we talked a bit, and I realized that he could do more and better cultures during a clean-out, I reminded him that if the cultures are negative he's planning on doing the clean-out surgery, and if they're positive I don't want a revision as a matter of course. I'd want to first have him do the clean-out and try a course of antibiotics, so he said it makes sense then to just do the clean-out and culture the heck out of everything at the same time, pull out all the plastic and clean everything thoroughly (he showed me on my x-ray exactly what he'll do). Then we'll wait for the results and go from there. He has made sure the lab doesn't screw up again even though he said it's been standard procedure for the last ten years that all joint aspiration cultures automatically go for at least two weeks so the mistake shouldn't have happened in the first place. (or something to that effect-not his exact words but close). I'm not exactly clear on a couple of areas so am going to e-mail him (poor guy, I know...lol) for a little more clarity on a couple of things I should have asked but didn't write down ahead of time so missed. I had written down a bunch of questions but didn't think of every possible thing. He told me a revision is probably the best way to go if it's at all infected, and would entail at least two major surgeries, possibly three or four.......I can't even wrap my mind around all that pain and horror again so plan to shelve that possibility for right now. I expect the LTT metal test results today but think it's probably normal. I'll wait to e-mail him until I see that though, so as to know if he'll rule in or out an allergy as the possible cause.
 
I'm glad your surgeon is taking this seriously. If it should turn out that you have an infection (fingers crossed that it's not :fingersx:) you will need an Infectious Disease doctor on board as well.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom