• SCHEDULED MAINTENANCE. BoneSmart will be unavailable from 8:00am - 10:00am CDT on Tuesday, May 21, 2024 due to required systems maintenance and upgrade.

If you are unable to log in, please check back later and the maintenance should be completed.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

TKR Lovablenut's Newbie Adventure

And he had a fall at the beginning of this process didn’t he........

He did, yes, Henrietta. However, he went ahead and had a bath at teatime. He managed better than I thought and, more importantly, he really relaxed and enjoyed It, and found exercising his knee in the bath was actually easier. But we've agreed he won't try a bath if I'm out at work. :bignono:

Very sensible! I do envy him. We are now not going back to england for Easter due to the virus. Many things and people I will miss, and you've just reminded me, the bath !
Haven’t got one here, look forward to having one in our flat in England.

Oh that's a real shame, but understandable.

We have a holiday booked for end of next month in the UK, but suspect we may not be able to travel if things continue to progress the way they are.

How is he doing? Ice and elevation still? Not doing too much? I’m feeling tired still, but do drive, shop and today, with a bit of help, changed the bed. (Slept in it a lot too!)

Hi Henrietta. He's doing really well, thanks. Yes, the ice device (as we call it) is a Godsend, and he's now walking without a stick at all. He's taking things slowly, but all in all we're really pleased. the difference now, after just 5 weeks, is brilliant.

The only thing is that his right leg is aching more than his operated leg in the last few days. He has his first post surgery check up with the consultant tomorrow, so will mention it then.

I think being able to drive makes a difference, doesn't it? OH has an automatic so it's been easier for him in that respect, but he likes to be able get out and about to the shops, if just to see familiar faces. I'm glad that you're able to do likewise. I figure if you change the bed you're more than entitled to sleep in it lots. :yes:

Tell you what, I havent had a joint replaced, but I find changing a duvet exhausting, and I'm a bit younger than me laddo. It never stays in place, does it?

OH is a bit worried about all of the coronavirus warnings. As he's over 70, he says the thought of having to stay indoors as a precaution for 4 months or more is decidedly worrying, having already spent around 4 weeks pretty much housebound.

Lovablenut, I get my husband to help with the duvet!
yes being able to drive does help. As with your husband, the thought of months self isolating after being at home for weeks isn’t a happy one. Still better that than the virus.
it sounds very contagious and we are limiting going out (apart from which M Macron has had all restaurants and shops other than food, closed. We went a distance to the tax office today to apply for paperwork for our car to be registered in France, and found it closed, when we though govt. offices would be open. The town very quiet.

Check up was great. Consultant expressed himself very pleased with the healing and progress to date. Says pain in right knee exacerbated by the fact OH is now taking stairs in an articulate way. Rather than his previous "dot-and-carry-one" fashion. Should ease off hopefully.

Henrietta, really empathise on the lock down front. We've been instructed to work from home as of today and no unnecessary social contact. Did my first ever online shop yesterday. Remains to see how much of it we get and whether it arrives when booked. Everywhere is under so much pressure.

This is having a challenging and near catastrophic global impact.

Hope everyone is coping okay.

I have a method to take a bath, which I will preface by saying that I am not overweight, I have good flexibility, and I have some strength in my body. My incision is now uncovered and is healing well. I wrap my leg with plastic wrap quite securely, and I place a footstool into the tub where I will place my calf/knee. I step into the tub as the water is running, face the stool, and lower myself down with my hands on the side of the tub and my "good leg" doing most of the work. I place my leg on the stool, and aahhh relax! It is the best. I feel very safe doing this, but I am quite capable on the rest of my body even if I have a bum leg and healing knee. I think putting my leg on a stool is a good move to keep the leg dry.

TrixieRuby, that's such a good suggestion. So glad your incision is healing well, too.:):welome: OH finds being able to have a bath so relaxing, and it helps him exercise a little more easily too.

So jealous of you people having a bath!.
Still, I get to walk through the vines to the post box!
coping with the self isolation ok. Thank goodness for the internet.

Aw, Henrietta. Keep your chin up, missus. We have so much support here that we're really lucky Bonesmarties.

Bikinglynn - fanks. I blushin.... :blush:

Yes. Bikinglynn is right, lots of lovely people to share things with.

Well, OH is still doing well notwithstanding no follow up physio, and his operated knee is healing well. The problem is with his formerly "good" knee which has become increasingly painful and hot. He's wearing his knee brace on it but nightimes are worst and he has very restless nights. They've scaled back his pain meds so now he's on paracetamol through the day and tramadol before bedtime. GP says he needs to have the other knee done but OH dead set against it. Surgeon said it was down to his using the stairs normally. Whichever it is, it's getting him down a bit.

I’m sorry his other knee is hurting him, glad the new one us doing well. This early in recovery it can be hard to want to have the second knee done, so I understand.

My old knee really acted up when my new knee was recovering. I found that the better the new knee got the better the old knee got, too. I hope your husband will find that his old one will start improving, also.

Likewise my good knee (non operated one) is giving me grief my PT and surgeon said this is very normal in recovery as our good knee has mainly supported our bad side and walking /stairs etc etc is very different, he said once I learn to walk correctly and even pressure is put on both sides the pain discomfort should disappear, so mention this to your husband.
By the way I just love your "avatar name -lovablenut "

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Rkelley