TKR Lovablenut's Newbie Adventure

Yes, I almost wish now I'd had the staples over the glue, as my incision is a long sorta wide mark. Scarring dark as do most of my surgical scars. The line is wider in some areas over others too.

Oh-well -- I shall wear my battle scar proudly! :tada:
 
LD - all of you should wear your battle scars with pride. :ok:

I suspect if my OH had known the reality of recovery pre-op, he wouldn't have gone ahead.

This forum is an amazing resource, and I feel very humble and privileged to be able to read everyone's stories of recovery. In my book, you're all hero's and heroines. I'm learning so much.
 
I suspect once he’s on his feet again and getting about he’ll be really pleased he’s had it done. Hope so as he has another which needs doing?
 
Thanks Henrietta. He does indeed but right now he's adamant he won't go ahead, and doesn't need it. :nah:

That said, I think hes making good progress though pushing himself very hard which I have mixed feelings about. He is down to using 1 stick now whilst out, and doesn't use the stick at all in the house. Yes looking after the cats again in our old pre-op routine (I have a 6 am start for work and of course at that point the furkids are all ready for brekfuss) and is walking round Asda (the benchmark in our house, lol!). He's a tough old boot bless him. His knee gets painful towards the end of the day but the ice and elevation is a Godsend. Night time still a bit if a battle as he rarely gets more than 3 hours sleep at a time but he naps during the day which is good.
 
He does sound like a tough old boot! His op is more recent than mine and it sounds like he’s doing more. I haven’t walked round a shop yet (well just once with the trolley briefly) and I rarely feed the cat. My Fitbit wasn’t activated to remind me about walking 250 steps in an hour, suddenly realised and have started it again, as I think that would be a good thing (in the house). I am sleeping better, using ice at bed time and on waking.
Once he’s over this, he‘ll know when he’s ready to think about another one.
 
Night time still a bit if a battle as he rarely gets more than 3 hours sleep at a time but he naps during the day which is good.
Sleeping is elusive after this surgery. Let him sleep when and where he can. While sleeping, his body can concentrate more on healing that knee of his.
 
I still find I'm sleeping in 2 and 3 hour patches. Some nights I can go back to sleep easily and other I'm wide awake at 3.30. It was the same last time

I was like your husband after the first knee. Originally it was suggested I have the second one done 4 months after the first, but I couldn't face it. It was at about 6 months I could see it was going to happen and around 9 months that I made the appointment to go ahead this January. Hopefully, as time passes and his knee improves to the point he can see how much benefit there is over the pre-surgery knee he'll decide to go ahead. My second knee has been so much easier, although I know there's no guarantee that it's that way for everyone. He seems to be doing well though.
 
Can anyone offer some guidance/thoughts please?

Two things. How soon can OH realistically have a bath? Whilst he showers daily, he really misses a bath. His scar is healing very cleanly and very little scabbing at all left. I was proposing to get those suction grab rails from the mobility aid centte as we don't have any fitted at present.

The other thing is wondering why sometimes in the evening, hubby's leg goes a sort of darker slightly mottled shade either side of the knee which is usually gone again in the Morning? It is often accompanied by an increase in the aching.
 
How soon can OH realistically have a bath? Whilst he showers daily, he really misses a bath. His scar is healing very cleanly and very little scabbing at all left. I was proposing to get those suction grab rails from the mobility aid centte as we don't have any fitted at present.
No baths until his scabs are totally gone. Any open wounds can be a site of a potential infection. You don't want that!

I never used those suction rails, but have read that they will let go easily. They might give your husband a false sense of security and he put too much weight on them and it then pulls off. Maybe someone who has used them will write about their experience with them.
 
The moderators and advisors can offer better advice than me, but I would check with your doctor's office about the bath. If he still has scabs, it may be too soon.

My legs get more swollen and colorful as the day goes on. I assume that is perfectly normal.
 
Thank you both very much. Appreciate the advice and will pass it on.
 
My instructions were no bathing, whether tub, pool, hot tub til incision is completely healed...
 
Don't forget the areas where the staples and stitches are. They have to be completely healed with no scabs, too.
 
I went in my Kine’s therapy pool at about 5 weeks Last time. Scar healing, nothing open, and not a problem except that I felt it was looking a bit red and angry afterward. Will limit the time in there when I start again.
 
That's really helpful. Thank you. I suspect we may also be governed by how difficult he finds it to get in and out of the bath. Once he's lying down I suspect at present he will struggle massively to get up.

The scar is healing well but still a couple of tiny scabs where the staples were removed so think they will have to go. His next check up is Friday so I'll ask how long they think it could be.
 
It was just shy of 8 weeks last year that all my scabs came away and this time I have one remaining still at 6 weeks. I had a dry run with clothes on last year just to make sure I didn't get stuck in an embarrassing situation. Getting out I made sure my feet were right against the end if the bath so I didn't slip as I pushed myself up. I also practiced using my arms on a chair behind me to push me up off the floor to make sure I had enough strength to do it, as I thought my arms might have weakened with several weeks not using them to get me out a bath.
 
Well, second physio session today. All going really well. ROM now 105, 4 weeks post op. PT says he will be fine to have a bath PROVIDED he can get in and out of the bath okay. Well we just tried it. :umm: He managed after a fashion but to my mind not safely. Will he be told? No.....:oyvey:
 
:loll:That's men for you! Did they say it was ok,with his scabs or have they all come away now?
 
Well we just tried it. :umm: He managed after a fashion but to my mind not safely. Will he be told? No.....:oyvey:
Wet and slippery will add yet more safety issues. Please tell him not to try this unless he is fully ready. Falls are not allowed!
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom