PKR Loose implant!

Gentle stretching and ADLs on your own is probably all you need at this point - your knee needs to heal. Keep the ice on for long periods several times a day - it truly helps with pain. Your leg will not freeze - it’s a scare tactic and old style thinking. And hang in there! :flwrysmile:
 
Many of us never took formal PT or did exercises. I am one of them. I had 11 knee surgeries, 2 of them kneecap removals and 1 tkr. Even after those I never took PT. But, I didn't just sit around and do nothing. I took care of myself, my house and yard as my knee allowed me to do. As I healed, I did more. But, my knee was always in control! This was enough therapy for me and would be for any tkr patient. All the awful pain of PT is so unnecessary.

All you have to do is use it in your daily living! Your knee knows how to rehab itself and doesn't need anyone telling it how. Just use it and it will come back like new! You have to be patient, though, it doesn't happen quickly! ADL,(activities of daily living), going to the bathroom, brushing your teeth and bathing, fixing a light meal, getting something to drink and or a snack, those kinds of things will be all the exercise your knee needs. If you just use it daily in your living, you can have a less painful recovery. We know what works, we've been there!

Your PT sounds like a sadist. She is really old school and needs to go back and learn the new way to rehab a knee replacement! Please don't go back to that facility. They are slowing down your recovery.
 
@Archbarn28 :wave:

I am just at the juncture in my rehab where I’m moving to the BS way due to a recent massive setback at the hand of my pt.

Let me ask you this - if you broke an ankle and it was casted and sore beyond belief and someone asked you to run a marathon the next day. And then the next day. And then the next. Would you do it? :chinstroke:
When the cast comes off 6wks later is it forever frozen in that position or does it start bending again?

Your knee is broken. But because it doesn’t have a visible cast pt’s and ourselves don’t treat it as such. :shrug:

What’s the difference?

Be gentle but use it for ADL and it will come along bit by bit. It’s going to hurt. You just replaced a living part of your body and it is NOT happy with you and is throwing a temper tantrum. Let it wear itself out and when the tantrum is over carryon with daily life.
 
Thank you one and all! I would cancel my Monday appointment but they will charge me for not cancelling in 24 hours of appointment. Since they are not there over the weekend ill be out 40 bucks! Ill go monday and let them know im taking a break!
 
I'm glad to read that you're starting to see the light! You don't necessarily have to do it on your own, though you certainly can; but you DO need to walk away from that therapist! Read the BonesMart articles to understand why. They will help you retrain your brain so you can give your knee the best recovery possible. :yes:
 
If it was me I’d forfeit the $40 and cancel. Consider it an investment in your recovery. A better investment than being in that office.

Call today and leave a message. It’s more than 24 hours today. Maybe they will accept it.
 
I would go but when I got there would ask to speak with the clinical manager. Yes the boss not the one without a clue. I would explain in detail what has gone on in your visits to date and ask if that is their TKR philosophy. If the answer is yes terminate the relationship with the practice at that point. You can interview new places over the phone and find one that can meet your needs. I am pretty passionate about this subject because I firmly believe that PT can be very valuable but therapists like yours can not be defended. I wish you luck in your journey.
 
I agree with Jockette. They are bound to have an answering service. They have a time stamp of when the call was received. Even if they still charge you $40, isn't it worth $40 to not have your knee in agony? Who would spend $40 to be in pain? Call this morning and cancel your appointment and never go back to them!
 
@Archbarn28, I have to say I’m more in agreement with @Larryhg3. Keep your appointment. Talk to the head PT and make them understand your issues, the way you feel about your past sessions and treatment, and tell them what your expectations are. Since you pay them, YOU are the boss, you are the customer. If they are unwilling to adhere to your expectations, then tell them goodbye, good riddance. There are others out there who will meet your expectations, I know because my PT did just that.
 
Hey All!
Thanks sorry for the late reply, had to check in on my dad in NJ so lost a few days! I have not been back to my PT. BTW she was the clinics manager. I'm feeling ok but nervous that I wont be ready for work the 2nd week of January! I still can't sleep 6 out of 7 nights and 5 of those I'm in excruciating pain.
I had my 2nd appointment with my surgeon and he said everything is where it should be according to my xrays. If that's the case then why am I so miserable? Should I get a second opinion to make sure everything is ok because I dont think it is? Helppp? I dont know what to do!
Oh and thank you so much for all of the very informative responses!
 
One of the PTs that came to my home the first 2 weeks post op, said my gait was all wrong. Spent a lot of time trying to walk correctly... The first visit with the Out patent PT, I asked about my gait, he said you gait is your gait. You will return to walking the way you have walked all you life once you knee heals.
 
I'm not surprised. It's just like the different recovery rehabs we see. Some are extremely aggressive, some not so aggressive, some very gentle, and some no PT at all. The gentle and no PT at all have fewer problems usually. This lets the knee heal with less trauma. Aggressive PT keeps the knee inflamed, swollen and painful.
 
You are still very early in your recovery, you will still be in pain but your pain meds should help - see your doc about this. Do not do any kind of pt, your knee needs to rest.

At first my OS appeared to be only interested in the xrays and how the implant was working, but eventually he did start listening to my concerns, possibly because I kept asking him questions until he listened and sometimes answered! Try to be firm and speak to him about your concerns ( I know that’s easier said than done.)

Be gentle with your knee and rest it, elevated and iced. Read the Bonesmart articles, they really do help. Don’t try to do too much.

Take care
 
I have not been back to my PT. BTW she was the clinics manager. I'm feeling ok but nervous that I wont be ready for work the 2nd week of January! I still can't sleep 6 out of 7 nights and 5 of those I'm in excruciating pain.
I had my 2nd appointment with my surgeon and he said everything is where it should be according to my xrays. If that's the case then why am I so miserable? Should I get a second opinion to make sure everything is ok because I don't think it is? Helppp? I dont know what to do!
I'm glad you didn't go back to PT!

As for the rest, take a few deep breaths and try not to get so anxious.

It's only the second week in December, so you have a full month before going back to work in mid-January. Where you are now is not where you will be in a month's time. A lot can happen in that month, because your knee is still a work in progress, not the completed article.

Your knee is only 7 weeks into a recovery that takes a full 52 weeks, at least. It's still very new and of course it hasn't finished healing yet. Of course it's not ready yet for going to work. That's why we recommend taking about 12 weeks off work and then doing a Phased return to work .

There's no need to get a second opinion. In any case, I doubt that another surgeon would see you so soon after your TKR.
Everything is probably completely normal. It's just that you're expecting a faster recovery than your knee can manage.
Knee replacement is major surgery and it causes a lot of trauma. It's not the sort of surgery you can bounce back from in a few weeks.

It seems to me that you weren't prepared for a long recovery. Unfortunately, that happens to a lot of people. The result is anxiety and frustration.
However, dig deep and use all the patience you can muster.
Things are going to get better. Your knee knows what it's doing.
Where are you in recovery?? (TKR)
 
I'm just going to toss some thought out there. Your PT clinic & person aren't the ones rehabbing a knee, you are. You know your limits. I've been intimidated by PT persons in the past - it won't happen again! We think since they are "professionals" they should know what they are doing. That's where we all go wrong I think. We know what's best for our knees.

Write down your questions - that always helps me. Start at the top of your list and don't leave the appointment until your satisfied with the answers. Your uncontrolled pain is concerning. Personally I think you need to be flat on our back with the leg elevated and ice machine going - all of the time. Ice will help with swelling/pain/discomfort. When you are up concentrate on standing tall and walking toe to heal - that's enough.

Hang in there.
 
Oh heck NO! I am a survivor of a an aggressive PT session. Mine happened later in PT and set me back close to 2 weeks! I was in so much pain after my knee was pushed back...twice. I never went back and was angry at how much they messed up my recovery. Never should it have went that far. Shame shame shame on that therapist! You had MAJOR surgery that takes time to heal. I hope you don’t ever experience such an inept therapist again! You’ll be amazed at how well you’ll heal if you let the body recover. Wishing you the best:flwrysmile:
 
Your experience with PT was completely cruel and unacceptable. You are doing the right thing not going back. Your knee needs to rest and recover. I am only 2 weeks ahead in this journey and have days in a row with poor sleep. It is getting better slowly. It sounds like you are doing well. If your pain management isn’t sufficient you should have your doctor address that. Good luck
 
@Archbarn28, you are doing the right thing. As many have said, PT is not 100% necessary to properly rehab a new knee. As long as you let it properly heal and you gently work it through your normal daily activities, you will do fine.
 
When you are up concentrate on standing tall and walking toe to heal
Walking is great therapy, but it's a heal to toe stride that we recommend. That stride will help will you ROM and is all the exercising you need!
 
Back
Top Bottom