Looking for OS in Florida Who Will Operate on Obese Patients

Status
Not open for further replies.
How disappointing! And there is no reason for them to be short with you unless you're constantly calling them...which you're not. Keeping my fingers crossed for you that you get answers soon.


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
Hey, everyone!

Well, I'm totally floored and still reeling from this morning's Dr. visit! I HAVE A SURGERY DATE, y'all!!!! If you recall my current OS who did amazing work on my back in January had been very adamant about holding off on knee surgery until my BMI got under 40 - and I'd gotten from 57 down to 43. Meanwhile, I've been trying and trying to get another OS in town who did some other large patients I know to review my records so I could make an appointment with him - but as of two weeks now I have heard NOTHING from him or his office and they've been extremely rude with me on the phone when I'd check. But I didn't think the first surgeon was even an option - so I felt so hopeless and like nothing was ever going to happen for me.

I kept my appointment I'd made for today with my current OS just thinking I'd at least get new x-rays since mine were 2 years old, but to my utter amazement when my husband and I went today and he saw the trouble I was having walking and saw my new x-rays, he said the only thing that was going to help me was new knees! He said I've come a long way and been working very hard at getting my weight down and that I was "almost there" - and I was bracing myself - but then he said he felt it was time and that I would "do very well" with the surgeries and that should help with my weight loss stall! I was so shocked I could barely even think and hadn't even pulled out my pre-surgery notes with questions on them! He already understood all about nickel allergies and said he uses the kind that are made for people with metal allergies (called Oxinium?) and I asked if he was confident he could do this surgery on me and he said yes he was.

So while we had been thinking the other OS would be better since he does 175 a year and this one does around 40 - we both felt such peace wash over us that we believe God was slamming that other door shut and opening this one wide... So my surgery date for the left knee is 9-22 - I could've gotten in even sooner but I really want to make this special conference in September for worship teams and our team is having a night of worship on 9-20 that will be spotlighting some of our original songs - and a few of mine are in the lineup(!) - so we went with 9-22... So 9-22 will be Xena's birthday :)

Here are my x-rays from today and then the ones from 2 years ago - you can REALLY see the difference in my weight and he even pointed that out when showing them to me! I'm SO excited (and yet terrified!) that I will soon be joining you other knee warriors...!!
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] Looking for OS in Florida Who Will Operate on Obese Patients
    image.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 224
  • [Bonesmart.org] Looking for OS in Florida Who Will Operate on Obese Patients
    image.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 243
Wonderful news!


Jean

LTKR (Stryker Triathlon): 21 April 2015
Right Knee Arthroscopy: 25 July 2006
Left Knee Arthroscopy: 10 February 2005
 
So your hard work paid off! Soak up that worship, let your songs wash over you (you write songs? How cool!) and store up that healing energy. You will now see that time will drag by and then suddenly the day will arrive. I will be watching for you on the other side.
 
Thanks, Jo! And yes, I thought about that - the timing being right after that night of worship - I'll definitely be spiritually prepared :)

I do write songs that I believe God gives me - I feel weird taking credit for them! I have a couple posted online if you'd like to hear them....



This one was written shortly after my very successful back surgery that got me out of 9 months of agonizing pain:

https://ourlittleplace.com/music/AllThatsWithinMe.mp3
 
So happy to read this!! You made my day! There is a reason for everything......now, get busy reading all the articles here and asking questions that you have after reading them. Someone here will be more than happy to answer them! Again, congratulations!


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
Just wanted to share with you my experience--I hope you find it encouraging.

My life has been getting smaller and sadder for a long time because of immobility, and I've gained a ton of weight. I had a ortho-PA that I know and trust tell me that it wasn't going to get better without a new knee. She works for the pre-eminent orthopedic surgeon in this town, and recommended I go see a doc in another city, 3-400 miles away. Our hometown hospital has a horrible track record for infections with joint replacements, which is partly why I flew to a different city for it. I flew down there, checked in at the clinic, and she couldn't find my appointment--turns out I'd come on the wrong day!

They still wriggled me in, and the doctor took all the time I needed with him. Very patient and encouraging. He was in that not-old not-young range, very fit, and yet when I asked him if I thought I should lose weight before I had the surgery, instead of saying, "Yes, you're fat and disgusting and clearly have a moral failing and personality defects," he floored me by saying, "You're not that big." What? (Maybe he's blind? Do I want a blind surgeon?") and then he added, "You should see some of my patients, and you'd realize what I mean. My experience has been that it's hard to lose weight if you can't move around."

And then he started telling me all the things I could do again if I had a new knee: walk, hike, climb, bike, swim. That was like telling an amputee that he could grow new limbs, come back in two weeks and they'd be ready. Because those things had just faded into the long-ago far-away memory of a past life, something that other people get to do, but I don't. I asked, "Cross-country ski?" Which was like asking, "Can I be a rock-and-roll star and fly to the moon and have a pet unicorn?" That would be a dream, to ski again. And he calmly said, "Oh, yeah, sure. That's a great exercise." And I was in, simple as that.

He also said that they say hip patients love their surgeon as soon as they come out of anesthesia, but knee patients hate their surgeon for the first six months, and then they love them. It's the only point of disagreement we have. I have been rising up and calling him blessed since day one. If he was in Florida, I would fly down there to have the operation from him. He also told me that he has done thousands of these, and he's never had an infection. Ever. He was humble about it--he said, "That's not to say you wouldn't be the first, but . . . " But. I'm not his first. Healed up without a glitch. Textbook perfect. Seven weeks out, and I'm able to straighten my knee for the first time in forever.

I had a friend that terrified me by saying I would need to have someone take care of me for about ten days, and I'd have to use a commode, and the pain would be excruciating. From day one, I was able to get to the bathroom. They insisted I had to have help moving at the hospital (an escort due to my risk of falling), and from the first time someone helped me, I got inside the door and said, "Okay, thank you." She looked a little surprised, and said, "You've got it." Yep. And I shut the door in her face. And that elevated toilet seat they offer you? Not necessary. I mean, you might like it, but you may not need it. My left leg has essentially been doing the work of two for a long time, and it's pretty strong.

Something else I appreciate about the doc is that he didn't look at my body and think, "Ah, it's already a train wreck. Doesn't matter if I make it any uglier." I have a scar that's about seven-eight inches long, which I think is kind of longer than most. (He also told me after the surgery that my knee was among the worst he'd ever seen--very inflamed, raw. That might be why they had to make the cut so long.) But it's very straight, and just a long, thin line--looks like a cat scratch. It's healed up beautifully. Skin is still kind of discolored around it, but I anticipate that in 3-6 months the scar is going to be almost invisible. Parts of it already are just a fine white line

I also shared my concerns pre-surgery about metal sensitivities, and got the Oxinium knee. It's made by Smith & Nephew, the Legion system. I was afraid of it feeling like I had a foreign body in there, but it feels so natural and normal. I love-love-love my new knee, and I NEVER expected to feel that way about it. I wish I could go back and allay my fears about this surgery. None of the things I dreaded came to pass.

I'm so excited for you that you get to have your life back!
 
@snowleopard , I also asked my OS if I should wait and lose weight before my surgery and he said that he didn't see how I could possibly lose weight with my knee so bad. @jackibar , snow leopard is ahead of me, as I am 3 weeks out today, but already I love my knee. You will be so happy.
 
@snowleopard - You have totally brought tears of relief and joy and hope to my eyes!! Thank you so very much for sharing your story with me (and others). I can hardly wait - the mere thought of "getting my life back" - well, wow. I don't even have words! I hadn't really even realized just how "small" my world had gotten - both due to my chronic illnesses and my bad knees... Here's to HOPE!
 
Gee, this is good news for me except I am located in poconos,pa anybody know of a os out here that takes overweight ? Bmi 48 not sure if I'm on a good thread..lol
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom