Looking for OS in Florida Who Will Operate on Obese Patients

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for the reassurance, Jamie! I'm just so scared I'm going to be left like this and I sure want something to change for me soon :)
 
Please try not to worry, hon. You will find a surgeon and your problems will be addressed. It's hard to be patient when you're hurting, but it takes a little "waiting" to get the really good things in life! It's coming for you too....
 
I am overweight by 80-90 lbs and I am seeing surgeon today for my knee replacement. I also have tons of other health issues. I am in the Jacksonville Area, where are you at?
 
Good news on this potential new doctor! :fingersx:
 
Crossing fingers for you!! Let us know what he says! If not him, there are others who will do the surgery. It's just a matter of finding them!


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
Thats awesome. Hang in there. I had the same problem i thought i would never find a doctor. Finally i found one who has replaced my hip and is getting ready to do my knee. You fond one to help you.
 
I am in Orlando, which is about four hours from Tallahassee, and I went to Dr. Jablonski at Jewett Ortho. They are the team doctors for the Orlando Magic basketball team and for the UCF Knights, as well as other local teams. He is fabulous. I asked him if I should wait until I lost weight, and he said that it would be very hard to lose weight with my knees. He had no problem going forward, and my BMI is in the same neighborhood as yours. Good luck!
 
I live near a small town with a small hospital. The ortho that I consulted here said that the hospital really didn't even have the resources to deal with people my extra large size, so he referred me elsewhere to a wonderful Dr. who had no problem doing the surgery, but it was in a large hospital. My point is, it might have been other limited resources, not just the reluctance of the doctor. I think this may be one of the instances where going to a big hospital is a good thing.
 
@Jackiebar..To you or anyone else who is in pain and wants/needs to avoid oral pain meds. I have had bone on bone knee pain for three years and I have been using salonpaas (pain patches) and they work wonderful for me. I get the small box about 3x5 (green and white box) 40 patches in a box. About 5 or 6 dollars depending on where you live and you can get them at CVS or Target. They work wonderful and I would not of been able to make it this last three years without them. I just put a patch on the area of my knee that hurts and leave it on all day. You can find these patches in the analgesic pay section by muscle rubs other pain patches etc. I have no side effects from using these patches. Sometimes you skin may burn a bit if you forget to take them off before you go to bed. I am due to have right knee replacement on July 28th and I fully intend on using these patches in my recovery. I sincerely hope this helps some of you....they have been a god send for me!! :)
 
Congrats on your weight loss. I'm about the same weight as you and have had both knees replaced in the last five months. As I read posts from others who are obese and having bone on bone knee pain, I appreciate my OS even more! He took into consideration both my weight and quality of life. I agree with the person who posted that you should seek out surgeons who specialize in knee replacements and do lots of them. My OS only does knees and hips. Since my last surgery seven weeks ago, the quality of my life has greatly improved. Stay positive and you will find the OS who you trust.
 
Thanks, everyone. Now I'm bawling again because I just called and the dr STILL hasn't reviewed my records... I asked how long it takes and the girl was really short with me. I wanted to yell at her that if she was in as much pain and had as much trouble walking as me, she'd be pretty frustrated too... I just don't get what the heck takes so long just for him to look over my records (which aren't long) and say yes let's schedule a FIRST appointment! This isn't like he's got to decide what to do with me yet! Dang, just get me in there!
 
He has to decide if he'll take you on? When I left one dr for another I just called and made an appointment. Is this the difference in insurances?
 
They said it was because I'd received treatment from another dr for this condition and they needed to determine whether I should see that dr or a different one in their practice... Well I don't get what takes so long to determine that!
 
Some insurances require a period of time after surgery, but I just bypassed and made an appt. with the dr I wanted. Left the other in the dust.
 
Sorry they were short with you. If they had said it might take a couple of weeks then you wouldn't wonder if your file was sitting somewhere forgotten about. Hopefully you'll hear next week. Hang in there.
 
I know this is tough, but don't give up. Stay cordial and professional with them, but do keep the pressure on. Perhaps next time (if you must call again to check on status), you should ask for the doctor's nurse rather than talking with an administrative staff member.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom