Guest viewing is limited

Fusion Long ride to a successful Fusion

Status
Not open for further replies.
It means the uptake of the radio-active dye they injected into you. In certain circumstances (can't say what - skating on the periphery of my knowledge here!) the dye doesn't highlight the tissues which is what they mean when they say minimal uptake.
 
It's not a case of good or bad. It indicates there is some kind of biological activity in that spot - either bone growth or infection. It's just a signal marker from which the radiologist can make deductions as to what's going on.
 
Audrey,

Did you ever see my bone scan? It lit up like a "Christmas Tree!" :wink1:

Of course that is when it was infected. I am so excited that I no longer have a lit up knee but back then it was glowing.

 
I have a fused knee. I had it done about 17 years ago. i'm 45 now. My reason for having it fused is that I had a bad infection in my knee (osteomyelitis). The way I got the infection is a long story. I'll tell u about my fusion and life with it. I have no pain since I had it done. i had my surgery done at Mt Sinai Hospital in NYC. I'm sure u know having a knee that can't bend is an inconvenience. I'm only 5 feet so it helps. I'm at the point that I really want to have a knee replacement, but I'm afraid of the complication because I already had an infection. If u have any other questions about living with a knee fusion, I will be happy to give u any info u want. -Debbie
 
You did it perfectly, Debbie. Welcome to BoneSmart!
 
Welcome, Debbie!!! Glad to have your here. You might want to start a thread of your own and tell us more about yourself. If you go to the index page for the knee pre-op area, you will see a NEW THREAD button. Here are instructions to help you if you need it.
 
Welcome, Debbie! It seems that most people that have had their knee fused was due to an infection. I'd be interested in hearing how you manage with a fused knee. Do you have a lift in your shoe? How much shorter is your fused leg than the other? Have you had back/spine and ankle issue because of the fusion? What do you like about having your knee fused...and what don't you like?
 
If I could do surgery on myself, I swear I'd cut these tendons/ligaments in the back of my knee! With Hurricane "Irene" coming, I'm sure this weather is affecting my pain. However...this is ridiculous! Seeing doc again on September 1st, and I'm hoping he has plans on doing SOMETHING so that those tendons/ligaments aren't rubbing/catching on the prosthetic. Yup...I'm banging the coffee table again! :arghh:
 
Audrey, what a wonderful photo of you in your avatar. I do hope this ordeal is over for you soon and you can become that painfree smiling person once again!
 
Thanks guys! I really, REALLY try to be that happy, smiley person most of the time. I didn't really like myself much when all I did was complain and made this knee thing my entire focus. Since getting my new camera and being able to take pictures, I've found something to keep my mind off my knee...and concentrate on the good things in life. I can't control when things are going to happen for this knee of mine, but I CAN control how I handle it. Of course...I wish it was taken care of NOW and my life was back to normal, but that isn't reality.
I don't know what I would have done without the support of hubby. He takes the brunt of the "bad times" and I'm sure he's tired of me asking "I don't get it"...but he keeps listening! :doggieshmooze:...and sometimes that's all one can do!
 
2 more days, then I see Dr. K about the bone scan and talk about the tendons/ligaments behind my knee. I'll keep you posted!
 
I had a bone scan a few weeks ago to try to hone in on my leg pain.

When we went oner the scan my L5S1 lit up like a Christmas tree.

This confirmed findings on an MRI suggesting severe degenerative disc disease at that level.

There was very minimal light up in all my other joints, including the new knee. My doc told me the less lighting up, the better it is.
I was reassured that the knee was OK but the back is most definately not.
At least I know the knee is not loose.
Sandy
 
Isn't it amazing when that happens? Recently I was convinced I'd developed some radial nerve neuropathy as the symptoms were all there. But my chiro said it wasn't, it was pressure from muscles in spasm and he was right! After 20 minutes intensive acu-pressure massage, I left his office with no pain. Of course, it's all come back again since - well not all, maybe 60% - and I'm off to get another pummelling tomorrow!
 
Hi! Well...I had a "blah" day yesterday. Just felt like...ick! Plus....thought about turning the "BIG 50" next week. So...I called my gal pal and hairdresser and told her to "give me a whole new look and do what you want...I need a "pick me up". Spent almost 4 hours at the salon and walked out feeling like a new woman! Best medicine EVER...and kept my mind off my appt. tomorrow, too! :flowerysmile:
 
Only 50? In 3 weeks I shall be 70!
[Bonesmart.org] Long ride to a successful Fusion
Count your blessings, girl!
 
LOL! I will, Jo! :happy dance::happy dance:

After all...it IS something to celebrate, right?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom