THR LLD - how did you deal with it?

conflictd

Country
United States United States
I am 6 weeks out and I still have a sense of leaning and pulling on my spine. I know I have a LLD. My doctor claims it is only 7mm but I believe it is more like 1.5 cm based on using interconnecting heel lifts. I feel like this leaning and pulling should be gone by now. It's an extremely uncomfortable feeling when I walk. I'm seeking a second opinion to get a precise measurement and get fitted for lifts now or request a revision surgery because of the terrible anxiety that the LLD causes. Is it too soon? If so, how have others dealt with the anxiety that they experience.

@conflictd You will notice I moved your post to a thread of it's own. Plenty of our members experienced this and will be along soon to comment.

In my case I had a definite LLD post LTHR. However I was advised to wait at least 3-4 months post op and then to get a professional to measure the actual difference. In some cases this feeling eases with time. If you get a lift too early you may interrupt the process of your pelvis balancing out post op.

I guess the question is why is this causing you so much anxiety? If indeed you do have LLD, a good podiatrist can fit you with a lift and correct this for you. You may also want to work with a PT who has experience with this and correcting problems with your gait.

@conflictd did the OS explain why you have LLD? By chance, will you be getting the other hip done where it could be evened out?

It's still early days for you. I had it with my first thr and it was evened up with the second thr (happy side effect is I got my height back!). It resolved around the 3-4 mos mark after second thr.

There is real LLD and apparent LLD -the initial post op stage where your pelvis is realigning, leg is swollen, esp if you limped beforehand or had severe femoral head degeneration. BS recommends to wait around the six mos mark before getting shoe lifts as it may correct itself.

ck out this BS link:

https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/leg-length-differential-lld.6173/

I am generally a very anxious person. I'm concerned that the LLD is causing undue stress on my spine because of my scoliosis. Recently, I have begun losing my balance and falling to the left or backwards. Can an LLD cause this to happen? This is my second hip replacement and I did not experience these issues during the first recovery. I'm seeing my OS next week.

I'm concerned that the LLD is causing undue stress on my spine because of my scoliosis.
Only your OS can determine if this is the case. Please let us know how your appointment goes next week.

Even an apparent LLD can do that because although it's not anatomical, it's still an off balance displacement.
I would have a chat with your surgeon about it.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • Pumpkin
    Staff member since March 26, 2015
  • Roy Gardiner
    Staff member since February, 23, 2013
  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022