Guest viewing is limited

TKR Lin's Recovery Journey

Status
Not open for further replies.
Staples out! Onward!
 
Does anyone else find the stockings cause pressure
on the knees so its uncomfortable to wear them? I am constantly pulling them down below my knees for a few minutes just to get a break from the extra pain.
 
I haven't experienced this, because my stockings were the sort that stop below the knee. I found that they were too tight, caused some constriction and made my knee swell, so I stopped wearing them.

If they're uncomfortable, I can't think that they are doing much good.
If you're walking around the house a bit and doing a few exercises, you probably don't really need them.
 
The stockings were the most maddening and unexpected part of the recovery. I wore thigh highs that I spent 80% of the day fighting to keep from constricting my upper thigh or dropping to my knees I had to go to the office week 4 and negotiated with the healthcare team to ditch them completely, whew!
 
My right knee replacememt is in two days and i can only hope i dont have those socks. I hope you find relief. Take care;p
 
So I am 6 1/2 weeks out on first knee and 2 1/2 weeks on the second knee. I have good days and bad, but cant seem to figure out what causes the bad days. I felt pretty good Friday, and Saturday ..I went out to lunch , shopping , and even went to a favorite ocean beach spot for fries on the pier.. I paced myself , slept fine Friday night and Saturday night..BUt last night I couldn't get comfortable no matter what. Its mostly a dull but constant ache , but almost bad enough to make you a little crazy.. lol at what point does it start becoming more good days then bad?
 
@Lin Your activities Friday and Saturday are quite a lot for a 2 1/2 week old knee. Your first knee may do fine with those activities, however not the second knee. At 2 1/2 weeks I was spending all my time elevating and icing with some PT every few days. Hadn't gone out to eat or shop even by week 4 because the more I stood or let my leg hang down the more it hurt.
I think you're going to have to baby that new knee to get relief. Resting, elevating, icing is the only way to get relief and the best way to move things along.
 
Sometimes you can trace the bad days to a clear case of overdoing (sometimes cumulative past the actual day of the overdoing) but sometimes you just have a lousy day even if you have done everything right. :console2:
 
So I am now out 4 weeks on my second knee and 8 weeks on the first.. I had 3 great nights in a row and thought it was finally going to start getting better but last night I was back to no sleep and an ache that I just couldn't relieve. I cant figure out what I did differently yesterday that would make it hurt more last night. I am trying to do a little more everyday being careful to take breaks often.. I am seeing my Dr. tomorrow and am hoping to return to work sept.3 at least 5 hours a day. I manage a school cafeteria so I have some control of how long I stand or sit. But I am a little concerned about my success .. Any opinions are appreciated..
 
The most painful thing for me is getting up from a chair.. I have my couch and recliner raised up a little with blocks under them which is a really big help, but getting out of a regular chair is something else.. Anyone have any sugestions that may make it easier?
 
Here are some tips, scoot to the front of the chair, sit up straight. Lean forward through your hip joints, until you feel weight or pressure in your feet, (you need to start the weight shift to your feet before you start to stand up or you will just bounce), use your hands on the chair to help you stand. Be sure you are looking ahead, your body follows your eyes, if you are looking at the floor, you go towards the floor. You can also stagger your feet, with the strongest one nearer your chair. Hope that helps. If doing this makes you nervous, first try it with your chair in front of your kitchen counter (about 2 ft away) so you have something to grab.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Given that one knee is a baby and the other a toddler :wink: you are still in the period where sometimes for no apparent reason you have a bad day. Don't worry about "doing little more each day." Just keep listening to the knees and adjust your activity to what they will tolerate--particularly use the baby knee as your guide. :)
 
Well I had therapy yesterday and I realized before I got there that they put me on a stationary bike for 10 minutes and the knee that was done 4 weeks ago hurts awful to do that. So I asked to skip it to see how I would be last night.. I slept the night for the first time without a pillow or ice.. It was awesome.. Today for the first time I feel like I am making progress.The knee done 8 weeks ago has no pain , just pressure still and the other one is a very dull ache.. Hope it lasts!!!!
 
So glad you refused the stationary bike. I don't know what your ROM and extension is, but I couldn't make the pedals go around a full circle at 6 weeks because I refused to move my knee beyond the point of comfort.
 
One other thing you might try is to place more of your weight on the heel instead of your toes when you start to push up. I found that to be much easier on the knee.
 
I've found it very helpful to be sure to sit on a firm chair rather than one that is really cushy and one that is not really low. Also, if you have a choice sit in a chair with arms so you have something to push off from. If I don't have a choice and have to sit in a low chair with no arms, I ask my husband to help me up from the chair.
 
I have had 2 good nights sleep since not doing the bike.. Also saw my DR.yesterday. I am back to work next week for 5 hours a day for 2 weeks then full time after that.. I sure hope its not to soon...:( I wanted to get back to work but am still concerned.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom