TKR Linda1, I'm home

I agree 100% with the above posts about totally stopping the exercises and focusing on walking and a regimen of 45-60 minutes of icing and elevating several times daily.

If you're really wanting to "do something", a few quad sets - but only holding a few seconds each time - while icing and elevating shouldn't aggravate your knee. It's good for circulation, waking up your quads (which probably aren't yet firing effectively as an entire muscle group), and promoting extension.

In terms of formal PT, if you decide you really want to resume it once you've recovered from this setback, my suggestion is based on tons of PT over the decades, multiple joints:

If it's post-op rehab I won't go more than once a week, won't do more than 6 - 8 reps of any new exercise (so I can evaluate my reaction next day), won't do more than two new exercises at a session, and never ever do multiple sets of an exercise.
 
The nurse said I've probably been doing too much around the house.
What all have you been doing around the house?
I've been doing all the regular stuff. Cooking meals, washing dishes, running sweeper, keeping bathroom clean, making sure dog has fresh water and food, laundry. My husband will gladly do these things, but I'm the type that can't sit. I need to be up and moving.
 
@Linda1 - oh my yes that's too much.
Look at today's post to you from @sistersinhim for the activity progression.
We do think that a carefully phased approach to increasing home activities is the best PT one can do.
You cannot heal if you don't learn to rest.
To quote staffer Roy Gardiner
"When you are icing and elevating and watching telly you are not 'dossing around' you are 'engaging a carefully considered proactively designed heuristically programmed dynamically structured recovery programme'."
 
Wow Linda, I don't even know how you're engaging in some of the activity that you mentioned only eight days post op. Amazing, but....it is crucial to ease into activity gradually. Too much too soon will strain healing soft tissue which may lead to increased pain, swelling or even damage. You don't want to increase the risk of joint instability or improper alignment.

Consider yourself blessed that you have a husband willing to help and allow him to do so...for awhile. Walking around your home several times per day for 5-10 minutes is adequate for now. If you find yourself getting restless, take advantage of activity to occupy your mind as you rest, ice and elevate.

Some of the activity that helped me get through the slow, lazy days of early healing were things like - crossword puzzles, word jumbles, soduku, playing online games, watching a Netflix movie or series. Phone calls, emails or texts are also a pick me up and a way to help fill the day. Nothing like the support of a friend or loved one when we’re feeling lonely, isolated or bored.

Take care and enjoy the rest of the weekend, Linda :)
@Linda1
 
I've been doing all the regular stuff. Cooking meals, washing dishes, running sweeper, keeping bathroom clean, making sure dog has fresh water and food, laundry.
At one week post op??

The pain from PT the other day hasn't gotten any better.

In the meantime I'm just elevating and icing. It's too painful to move.
No wonder you’re in pain.

but I'm the type that can't sit. I need to be up and moving.
No one is asking you to just sit. Up and moving is good, but you have to be reasonable about it. You are healing from a very recent major surgery. Not overdoing is very important. Try to remember, this recovery is temporary and then you’ll be back to doing all those things. After you’ve healed.
 
I've been doing all the regular stuff. Cooking meals, washing dishes, running sweeper, keeping bathroom clean, making sure dog has fresh water and food, laundry. My husband will gladly do these things, but I'm the type that can't sit. I need to be up and moving.
Wow - that would have actually murdered me at 8 days post op.

I understand the need to be doing something - but I think all that activity is why the pain meds aren't enough and you mentioned perhaps even needing to go to the ER for the pain. I think you're in so much pain for all the activity and then adding PT on top of it.

Perhaps better now to focus on resting and light activity so you can feel better and reduce the pain meds - as in you slowly over the days are able to be up and doing more and taking less meds and feeling ok - and adding PT to that mix. Like....activity can go up in tandem with the pain meds going down so it's a balance.
 
@Linda1 I know you already heard this, but I feel compelled to echo what the others have said and share the advice from my own surgeon (who is with HSS, the nation's leading orthopedic hospital):

"Your ONLY job the first two weeks is to rest and recover." He adds that the people who do too much too soon are the ones who end up having the worst outcomes.

Please, please cut back on all this activity before your set back your recovery.
 
Thanks everyone for the advice. I'm taking it to heart. I did go to church today, but other than that and short walks around the house I've been in my recliner. I still have moderate pain even after taking my meds and just feel so tired and uncomfortable. PT is to come tomorrow and I won't let him push me. It just isn't worth the pain.
 
I hope you aren't feeling we were too hard on you, Linda. We don't want to see you overdo it and stall your recovery. You may be in a bit more pain than usual due to the activity you were engaging in so early on, but I believe with meds on schedule, rest and icing you'll begin feeling better, as long as you stick to your guns with PT and don't allow them to push you through pain. If it hurts, don't do it.

You're tired because you recently experienced major surgery and your body is using energy to heal first, not leaving a great reserve for much else. It's normal to feel tired for quite some time. Make your best effort to get sleep when you're able. Our body does the best healing while we're sleeping.
Have a good night and stay in touch!
@Linda1
 
I hope you aren't feeling we were too hard on you, Linda
I agree! I am just amazed you were able to do those things at all! I think ALL of us overdid it at some point in recovery - and more than once - so it's just a part of testing those limits and figuring out how it works. I know I did it a few times and sometimes it took me days to recover and get to feeling as good as I had felt. It's hard to find a balance between doing too much and feel like you're doing too little!
 
I really didn't do any housework for at least a couple of months after my surgery.
Even then I eased back into it over several more weeks. I found things like standing to cook much harder than doing a two mile walk on level ground.
 
PT is to come tomorrow and I won't let him push me. It just isn't worth the pain.
Not only can they cause more pain, the extra activity can actually cause setbacks in your recovery. You will have to recover from your PT, then get back to your normal surgery recovery. It's definitely not worth it!

feel so tired and uncomfortable.
Your body is concentrating on healing that knee. Its main energy is going to that, contributing to your tiredness. Take all the naps you need. When you are sleeping, your knee can actually heal better!
Energy drain for TKRs
 
Took everyone's advice and told PT I was still having considerable pain. He was very understanding and did some measurements and we walked some outside. I was surprised he wanted me to walk in the grass instead of on the asphalt driveway. When he measured my leg while straight he said -8. When he had me slide heel towards butt it's 100. He said that was good. I only have one more session.
 
Thankfully you have an understanding PT, Linda, and you weren't afraid to express your feelings with him.
My guess is he had you walking on the grass because you mentioned pain to him. It is easier on your joints due to lower impact, more cushion, less shock to absorb. For me the down side is worrying about a hidden sizable divot or rabbit hole, throwing me off balance, twisting my ankle, or worse yet...falling. I prefer asphalt.
Enjoy your last session and then the freedom of recovering slowly and safety on your own.
You're doing it!! :yes!: Happy Wednesday!
@Linda1
 
So glad you have a therapist who gets it, @Linda1! You are doing really well so give yourself some grace. Slow and steady is the best approach to this recovery.
:flwrysmile:
 
I had my 2 week check-up today and stitches were removed. The PA was very happy with the way things looked and how well I can walk and move. She said the pain is normal and I should be reaching the point were I notice an improvement. I was given a slip for out patient PT. I'll start next Tuesday.
[Bonesmart.org] Linda1, I'm home
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Good news, Linda! Thanks for the update. Good luck with outpatient PT next week.
Take it slow and easy so you continue to do well.
Have a nice holiday weekend! :)
@Linda1
 
Hello Linda,
Happy One Month Anniversary!
I hope you've been doing well since we last heard from you and you're making progress with your PT.
Have a wonderful week and stay in touch. :wave:
@Linda1
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom