Guest viewing is limited

THR Life and freedom on the recovery side

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mamarey Impressive accomplishments. Getting to the graduation party was huge! Walking, sitting, smiling at possibly annoying relatives (my family, maybe not yours?) All very difficult when you are overcoming pain. It sounds like you are doing much better after your weeks of discomfort. And walking your dog without your cane-fantastic. Your PT sounds excellent. So glad to read your news.
 
Josephine. I have read the article and my company makes a product Vimovo, which is endocoted Naproxen with immediate release isomeprozole. I cannot take naproxen, because I am allergic, and only plan on Celebrex for another month, and I take it with 20 mg of Nexium, which my company also makes. Tylenol has never helped me much with pain. It certainly did not prior to surgery, and have tried post surgery, without good effects. Ibuprofen has always worked best for me for an over the counter pain medication. Do appreciate all the wonderful info you pass along.
Today, I used my yoga strap and did the exercise my PT said was safe and a good hip opener. I also used my foam roller and rolled it up and down my leg.
I had a wonderful 60 minute workout on the elliptical. Felt so good to be stinky sweaty. Afterward, I iced and elevated then had my weight workout at the gym.
Feeling tired now, as Sunday is also chore day and family dinner night. Plan to be relaxing in bed early for good sleep which I still have not found. Look forward to my PT tomorrow.
Hope everyone is having a pain free weekend.
 
Tylenol has never helped me much with pain. It certainly did not prior to surgery, and have tried post surgery, without good effects.
But how much do you take at each dose? One tablet - 500mg?
 
Mamarey LeeApril26 I'm also pleased for you that you've noticed an improvement! My PT always said if it hurts, just don't do it, because it means you're aggravating the inflammation. It's really a good idea to see the OS if the groin pain persists, as if it is tendonitis, it's better to know sooner than later. I hear it's a darn to get rid of. I hope it's not that! But I found that using the cane relieved some of the stress on my groin, and lessened the groin pain. Does it help you?

I'm thinking about your poor doggie, too - I realized after my hips went, that my 16 year old dog was walking just like I was - well, for a dog anyway. Her hips looked so sore! And her legs were sort of splayed out a little, as if she couldn't support her weight. When she laid down, she'd do it like a horse, front first, then back. And she didn't want to walk anymore, or couldn't. So I brought her to the vet and told him I knew that she had hip arthritis (not hard to figure out, given her age). He prescriped Vetprofen (generic is Rimadyl), which is a dog NSAID. It has helped her alot. She'll walk some now, especially if we're at a park and she can amble about more than actually walk on the sidewalk. I wonder if your dog needs that now, too?
Gosh, here I am doing dog diagnosis! :puppysmooze: Just thought I'd share my experience. I'm a softie for animals, anyhow...
 
ByGosh, it always suprises me how much human medical info can be applied to animals. I have used a lot of my nursing experience on my daughter's horse! She used to pooh pooh it, until the vet confirmed my diagnosis/treatment a couple of times. Now she comes to me first, my rates are cheaper!
 
I have been in Pharmaceutical Sales for 15 years, and animals routinely take the same medicines that we do.
My oldest dog, Jesse is now bow-legged, cataracts, minimal hearing, autoimmune disorder, bad knee. Cannot afford the $1,300 to do his other knee. At least I have insurance for myself, and I still pay a lot per month for family insurance, co-pay, etc. Well, after my new hip, Charlotte, I do not have to worry about meeting a deductible for 2013. Two of my doggies have to take a low-dose prednisone daily for maintenance. If not for that, Jesse would not be around today. They both have something called Pemphigus. Very rare. Causes sores, crusting, eye infections, hair loss, redness around eyes, both and groin. The prednisone works quite well at 2.5 mg per day. Every few months, they need an antiobiotic for an infection. My dogs are the best unconditional love in the world.
 
My dogs are the best unconditional love in the world.
I agree, thought you might like this.....

[Bonesmart.org] Life and freedom on the recovery side
 
As I was lying in bed last night, I thought that it may be a good idea to get a folding cane. I am finding that I am using my cane less and less, yet there are times when I definitely need it by my side. Outdoor outings, going someplace like Target or Costco, large public gathering...haven't tried that yet. I do not like crowds anyway. I also thought that it may be a nice transition when I return to work next month. Canes are so cumbersome. They get in the way of everything. My poor dogs are always getting scared when one falls unexpectedly.
Have others had good usage of a fold-able cane?
 
Mamarey. I just purchased one from Amazon, and it arrived. It is fairly light, adjustable and folds easily. I am still using a cane 100% outside, but a time is coming when I won't. Seems wise to have one for crowded streets, public transportation. At Home Depot and Costco have been zooming around with a shopping cart. Seems very easy to walk holding on to the cart.
 
LeeApril26, I agree. Shopping cars really do help take the weight off the leg, as well as with balance. I plan to have my first trip to Costco since my surgery. It was horrifically painful prior to surgery. Looking back, I do not know how I had the strength to push the cart which was over-flowing and full of cases of water.
I picked up a fold able cane at my Pharmacy today. Had to go there anyway to pick up a prescription and it was a comparable price to Amazon, and I did not have to worry about any shipping charges..
 
Had my second day of PT today, and had a tiny bit of greater range of motion from Friday. I also continue to do a similar stretch at home. Really tired now. After PT, I went to the gym, had my weight workout, then got on the bike and got in 15 miles in 45 minutes. Felt really good. Not the endorphin high I got from running, but felt good to get a good sweaty workout in. I certainly should sleep better tonight, I can barely keep my eyes open now. Finding that I am hungrier too, as my exercise increases. Think I need more protein.
Also, what am I to do with all my jars of PRUNE JUICE?????? Everything is good in that department now that I am moving around and exercising again....and I do not have a fondness for Prune juice~ zauberflöte, may I send it your way?
 
Mamarey heh heh I don't really need alot any more either..... your local food bank? Sorry I sold it so hard LOL
Your graduation outing, and dog walk, sound lovely, as well as all the exercise and stretching and feeling better. Yes, it's a roller coaster, isn't it. :)

ound that for me it was more comfortable to sleep without a leg pillow by four or five months post-op. That is not something that I have ever or would ever recommend to someone in the early weeks of recovery.
alexthecat I'm sorry, I didn't mean to put you in a bad limelight... forgive me? Open mouth, engage pain meds, insert foot, that's me.
 
Mamarey Would you please let me know how you like your folding cane and what brand you got? It's an item that I'm thinking would be really handy, too. We have a good medical supply pharmacy here, and they have great items. I'm sure they'd have them, but they're also very pricey for whatever they sell. So if your brand is good and from the drugstore, maybe I'd try it. LeeApril26 How do you like yours? Does it seem sturdy and good quality? Would you mind telling me what brand it is? (sorry, I don't mean to be nosey). I have no experience of shopping on Amazon, but it really is handy, especially when getting out and about to the stores is not so easy. Thanks for sharing the info, ladies. I appreciate it.

Mamarey I wonder how you feel after your workouts? Does it bother your groin pain, or has that cleared up for you? I still seem to have pain if I do much. Very frustrating at this point, although I've felt a slight improvement in the past 2 weeks. (fingers crossed)
 
I bought a Carex soft grip folding cane on Amazon for $20. and change. I have not used it yet so can't say how would work day to day. It seems sturdy. I did try it in the house. No carrying case. I have been doing lots of Amazon shopping since the hip went. It is much easier than going to stores, though I am looking forward to returning to normal life. I've had no problems with Amazon so far.
 
ByGosh I had two weeks of terrible groin pain and depression. I finally turned a corner last Friday. I think my PT is helping and I am five weeks today! I am finally beginning to walk normally, and even in the morning when I could barely walk, I can get to the bathroom without my cane. Stiff, but functional. I agree with others, standing is more difficult than walking, and if I sit for more than an hour, I feel it in my lower back, legs and groin. It is all about balancing movement with ice, elevation. Hold on a sec, going to run out to my car and see the brand of my fold-able cane...be right back....okie dokie..INVACARE $19.00 -adjustable cane
 
Thanks for the info Mamarey Good to have the name and brand of the cane as a reference. And I'm so glad that you've turned a corner and your PT is helping you. I find that along with pain comes a lot of negative thinking, pessimism and depression. Once the pain is better, my outlook is better, too. That seems reasonable, though, as pain takes over everything.
 
ByGosh I got a pedicure today, and they had not seen me in two weeks and they could not believe the change. I actually walked somewhat normally. For months, they saw me with my cane, hunched over, turned in and in terrible pain. Two weeks ago @ three weeks, I was better, but still walking with a big limp and a lot of groin pain. Others see progress, especially when some time has passed more than we do. The last time my sister-in-law saw me was Easter, which was prior to surgery, and I was horrible. She could not believe how much better I was moving along when she saw me this past weekend at my niece's grad party.
Progress, not perfection...slow and steady...
"It does not matter how slowly you go, so long as you do not stop"~Confucius
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom