THR Let's make it a matched set!

Oh, this energy drain! Compounded today by not enough sleep last night--woke early, not sure why, was about to drop off again when I heard a noise that sounded like something falling on the cat or the cat knocking something over, got up to investigate (still have no idea what I heard), my moving around activated the cat, and there went any more sleep! Was supposed to have lunch with a friend but just rescheduled to next week--not up for driving, sitting in a hard chair, and driving some more. I think a quiet, restful day is the right choice but I am sick of this--and just generally in an "I'm sick of recovery" mood. Things are slowly improving but oh, so slowly. In spite of having gone through this before I naively thought I'd be back to "normal" in August, ready to do all those summer things I'm missing out on but I don't see that happening. Grump, grump.

"I'm sick of recovery"
Oh I remember this part well. At around the 4 week mark you get this frustration. I called it the one month slump. You feel like there is no progress and that maybe you might be in the same position forever.

But I saw major improvement by week 6. You'll get there! But I know it's frustrating when your hip is in charge.

@Jaycey I'm in week 6, heading to 7 on Monday. I am doing more and getting out a bit but still feeling like recovery and the hip dictates all. This is feeling like a slower recovery than the last one--but I might be looking back through rose-colored glasses.

Dearest Gert,,, @gertie I am wearing a lovely white skort with a khaki green top, so I guess I'm ready to haul trash! now where are my pearls..?

My first good laugh of the day! I wonder what CricketHip is wearing and has planned for today?

Don't lose hope, gertie
I'll bet you remember the difference even a week or two can make in early recovery. It sounds like canceling today was wise. Maybe you need a day to catch up on some rest and things will look brighter tomorrow.
And you may very well feel more "normal" in August. Possibly more toward the end, rather than the beginning.
Big hugs...you're headed in the right direction! :friends:
@gertie

Oh I'm right there with you, grumble, grumble :censored: this recovery is taking too long :censored:!!!! I've got things to do :censored:. Deep breath, did that help? How about this. :headbang: oh this is my favorite :tantrum2: come on!!! Everyone join in, we'll have a ranting party for just a moment. Let our frustrations out, I'll go first. I want my house cleaned from my child and family staying here three years ago. There's still so much :censored: to clear out and they haven't helped to get their :censored: out of mama's house!! Oh that felt good, who's next? :SUNsmile:

@julesglass My hips hurt just looking at that dancing devil! House cleaned, yes! Garden weeded! Breathe, breathe, breathe. A ranting party is just what's needed.

I think all of us sometimes forget how wearying recovery can be on us emotionally, @gertie Sure, the aches and pains and poor sleep loom large, but it is so mentally wearing as well. I agree that a "ranting party" is just what's needed sometimes, so rant away! It's still pretty early days and you are headed in the right direction. Plus, having been down this recovery trail before you know you'll reach the end, probably not as fast as you'd like (it's never fast enough for ANY of us!) but you'll get there. Hope today is a better day.

Thanks all.
I just revisited my thread from previous THR--a little reality check. I was indeed bopping around at week 6, more than I am now--Christmas shopping, cooking, socializing, lots of time in the car, etc. Minimal to zero pain apparently, rarely using the cane, etc. And then I hit the ODIC and was back on the cane and limiting what I did through the Christmas holiday week. A good reminder to go slowly, slowly.

@gertie I feel your frustrations and discomfort. I am sadly right there with you and have taken a step back
(literally) from everything! I haven't seemed to bounce back after my shopping/wallet theft ordeal from last Friday and on top of that I think, just because of how my house is set up, I'm walking more than I should.
Grump,grump,grump! No pearls today, and am still in those ridiculously baggy and comfy jammies that my husband most likely wants to burn. @Layla
I also canceled lunch plans with a client., just not up to it. Does this count for a turn on the grump wagon @julesglass ? Plus I am ashamed to confess that I am hooked on Love Island.. hahaha it is horrible but I am in in for the duration and last night our t.v. stations were all messing up and I missed the one episode that promised some high drama.. :gaah:
ok, gert, your turn, I believe.. and Jules-- maybe you can be like the unpaid storage units and pull their stuff to the curb with a FREE sign on it?? :snork: Or maybe FOR SALE? :mute:

@CricketHip Sorry to hear you've taken a step back. As I remember, that wallet theft adventure was quite taxing. I've had a slight uptick in muscle fatigue/soreness and I think it's mostly because I've been walking around inside the house w no cane. Feels great when I start but then those glutes and quads start to fatigue and get tight. I told myself I'd use the cane all the time today--but I just strolled down the driveway without it to get the mail. Oh, well. Time for lunch and an ice pack.

I so agree! I blame that 'no cane walking,' too... for now it's my number one friend again. Except for when I forget it, or it falls, or clashes with my pearls..
We will overcome.. we just have a different timetable this time.

Aww, c'mon! @CricketHip
Don some pearls to go with that grump, grump, grump. You may as well be a cute grumper. :heehee:
Now I'll have a visual of you looking like June Cleaver first thing in the morning, hahaha! Remember her?
Cooking breakfast in her pearl necklace and earrings, lol.

Sending another hug, gertie. Consider sitting in your comfiest chair with a big ol ice pack and blanket and watch a good comedy on tv. Laughter was often my go to when I was feeling off during recovery.
Hope you're feeling better by the end of the day!
@gertie

Thanks CricketHip, it counts! I try a few steps without the cane and that's when it starts up also. I'm going to try not leaning on the cane so much now and then and see if that will help strengthen some of it. Everything of theirs is going to the dump to the dump to the dump dump dump! :snork:

Oh ladies, thank you I needed a good laugh! Seems I've kind of been having one of those days as well.
:heehee:

I can't say too many times what a joy it is to be able to drive myself places. Today, I made a mid-afternoon run to the local Starbucks drive-through for an iced mocha (so tasty) and later met friends for supper, sitting outside on a beautiful summer evening. Certainly elevates the mood. Happy weekend all.

We all seem to be on the same grump train. Man oh man, I just don't remember my last hip giving me such a sore thigh and sore everything! @gertie I had those exact same dreams for August. But things can perk up just as quickly so we will keep our chins up.. that makes us sounds like we have double ones.. but I meant plural like in one chin for each!

@Layla I am laughing at the vision of me dressing like June Cleaver... hahaha if I had any photo shop skills I'd add pearls to my avatar picture..:curtsey: Just looking at my picture and imagining it is giving me the giggles, big time! They sure had tiny little waists in their dresses, didn't they?
Well, here's to us three mopers waking up to a good day tomorrow.
If not, we can whinge along together.
P.S. My accounts finally got credited back the money that was stolen and my new cards arrived in the mail. Maybe that will help my mindset.

:sleep:

Good to hear of your outing @gertie. I got out also and had a nice 45 minute drive. Stopped and got a diet pepsi for the trip, nice. Good to hear things got straightened out for you CricketHip. Put your mind to rest. Now onward girls! Here we go, no grumpies tomorrow!!!:fasthorse:

Awesome Gertie! It's the little things, isn't it?
I'll bet before the pain set in a trip to Starbucks was never that exciting. It's almost like you're a teen again and you just received your drivers license...you want to drive everywhere :heehee: Yep...I can drive :driver:
Nothing like dining al fresco in the beautiful Summertime. I really love it because we can only do it for half the year here. And that's when it's not too hot, humid, buggy, rainy or windy. :rotfl:
Happy you enjoyed. Have a great weekend!
@gertie

I chuckled reading the above posts, as they EXACTLY describe what we all feel early on, those glorious trips out of the house to--well, anywhere! I think being able to resume driving again must be wonderful, @gertie, and I am so looking forward to that as well. My husband has been wonderful (even took me to the local mall yesterday as I was getting bored with circuits around the park, and he HATES mall shopping) but being able to regain my independence behind the wheel will be a big move for me. I know with my right hip I waited six weeks, but I'm almost thinking of giving it a shot today, driving to my daughter's house this morning which is about a 10 minute drive on back roads. Have a great weekend!

Last edited:
@Barbaraj If you're off daytime pain meds I would think it would be fine to drive. With my left hip I waited until 4 weeks because that's what the OS office told me to do--and I'd had a general anesthetic which amplified the energy drain/spacy feeling--but interestingly, this time around, in spite of it being my right hip, they said I could drive whenever I felt ready to do so--no time limit. So at around 3 1/2 to 4 weeks I was in the driver's seat!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Kneelythere
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom