TKR Let the bells rings, let the birds sing!

You can do them either way. I did them in bed to start but later also did them in a chair.
 
Hello Diane @dnslbrg - I've only done a couple heel slides so far. My knee has been so swollen it's felt pointless to attempt them. I do try to bend it while sitting up for meals.

The surgical PA told me that my number one job is to keep it elevated and iced so the swelling will go down enough to let me bend my knee to 90* and to not worry about exercises. We read that here and it was wonderful to hear one of my medical team tell me.

I also have a hard time getting into bed. I can't lift my leg at all—even now. I've found it more comfortable to lift my leg by supporting it under my calf and use a scarf to lift it. It's around 10" wide so it gives good support and is comfortable enough for me to leave under my calf while sleeping (or on the couch). That way I don't have to find it when I get up in the middle of the night.

I hope you're doing better today!
 
Hi LoveGiants - I'm doing fairly well. I went to PT again yesterday and did well with most of the exercises. My PT is so impressed with my flexion. Prior to my decision to have the TKR surgery, we worked really hard at getting my leg straight and it just wouldn't. My ROM isn't as good but I know it will get there.

He also commented on how well I lift my leg using my other leg to get around.

Here's to 10 days in. :)


Diane
RTKR 7/12/16
 
That's great, @dnslbrg! My knee is still too swollen to do anything. I have my first PT/staple removal on Monday. My ROM was great pre-surgery, but extension was bad, so I hope that gets better.

I'm glad that you're doing well.
 
Oh boy, getting those staples out will be such a relief! You will feel so much better when they are out! Yippee! One step in the right direction! I've read that it takes a while to get the extension. Don't worry about it, it'll come.
 
@sistersinhim That's great news. I get mine out next Thursday. That gives me something to look forward to now.


Diane
RTKR 7/12/16
 
Day 12 - I can finally lift my leg! I only did it three times as it was quite uncomfortable but I did it. Now if I can make some ground on my ROM I'll really be happy.


Diane
RTKR 7/12/16
 
Yippee! You have made another baby step! Don't worry about that ROM. It will come. Just follow the BoneSmart mantra and not worry about it. Less means more!
 
@sistersinhim thank you. I have been feeling much better about it since all the feed back I received a couple days ago. :)


Diane
RTKR 7/12/16
 
Two weeks yesterday. I'm feeling a little better every day. I had PT yesterday and he was very happy with my progress. I could feel the swelling and stiffness after my session and immediately iced and elevated until 10 last night.

Today I walked the dog for a very short but sweet walk.

Tomorrow I am getting my staples out. My husband has an all day meeting so I have to uber to my appointment alone. I feel bad he won't be there to hold my hand. :(
Hopefully it won't be too bad.

Goodnight friends.


Diane
RTKR 7/12/16
 
I'm sure you and your dog really enjoyed your walk together. At worst when they took out my staples a few stung a little but otherwise not too bad at all.
 
You'll do just fine. You will feel so much better when they are out! It's such a relief to not have all that pulling.
 
Your incision will feel so much better once staples are out, you'll forget of any discomforts you may feel...good luck tomorrow...keep us posted!

Where in Florida are you from??? There are several of us from Florida!!
 
Thank you guys, I was hoping I was worried about it too much. I've had the shots and euflexxa injections with no pain so hopefully this will be the same. I'm so happy to hear it will feel better without them.

@uva55 We live in Dania Beach, Florida. I know there are 3 other Diane's on here also from Florida. We've only lived in Florida for two years so getting back to walking and riding my bike to the beach is a big motivator for me. I can't wait!

[Bonesmart.org] Let the bells rings, let the birds sing!



Diane
RTKR 7/12/16
 
Lovely photograph. Makes me want to go walk there. I've been in Florida for 40 years and I haven't been to the beach in ages and ages. That is one of my goals - go walk on the beach.
 
@FlaGranny I hope you get there soon. There's just something about watching the palm trees blowing gently in the breeze and the waves coming into the shore that is so soothing to the soul.


Diane
RTKR 7/12/16
 
  • Agree
Reactions: Suz
Whew- that is a REALLY BEAUTIFUL motivator @dnslbrg! You are very fortunate to live within bike and walking distance of that place!
 
Still having trouble lifting your leg? This time, I hooked my non-operative foot under my operative ankle, straightened both legs and carried my operative leg to where it needed to go with my other leg.


Jean

RTKR (Stryker Triathlon): 21 June 2016 LTKR (Stryker Triathlon): 21 April 2015
Right Knee Arthroscopy: 25 July 2006 Left Knee Arthroscopy: 10 February 2005
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom