TKR Lesions caused by metal sensitivity

Hi @ucsbgal1971

I have been reading back over your threads and I see that you have some allergy problems, but that the knee prosthesis you have is one that does not contain nickel.
Are you contemplating more knee surgery? Your TKR in September 2013 is the most recent item in your signature.
Please can you give us an update?

Best wishes. :flwrysmile:
 
Hi Celle,
I had a RTKR in 2013 but there was a malfunction of the implant from the very beginning, and I need to have it redone. It hurts all of the time and I can hardly bend it. When I sit in a chair, I have to stick out my leg because it won't bend down like it should. Last week I took a bad fall and hit my knee on the pavement so it is really hurting now. I had it x-rayed in the ER and apparently there is no fracture but it hurts even to touch it. I had a difficult time recovering from the first surgery so I am terrified to go through it again. The surgery was difficult on my whole system and I had to have my gallbladder removed shortly after the knee replacement and then I developed an infection in the salivary glands that was very painful. I think my whole system just went into shock or something from the knee replacement, at least that is my uneducated guess about ithe situation. I keep reading things here to try to bolster up my courage but so far have done nothing yet. I want to go to a new doctor but I don't trust anyone after what I went through. I have had numerous surgeries in my life and I know that even the best surgeon can have a bad outcome. I think it is just the luck of the draw and I haven't been very lucky.

Another concern is that I don't have anyone to help me after the surgery. I went to a wonderful convalescent hospital the first time but that option is not open to me now so that is a real problem. When I had the first knee surgery, which was a meniscus repair, I thought that I could go it alone at home but ended up falling and breaking my toes and hitting my head on the refrigerator when I was trying to get a glass of water so going it alone probably isn't the best idea. Convalescent hospitals are not, however, the best places to be as my dear friend died from MRSA that she contracted in one following a back surgery so I am indeed leery of them.

This site has been such a blessing to me. I am concerned that it won't be here when I finally get up the courage to have the second surgery. It provided far better support than my own doctor and his staff did. Thanks for the interest. I have been terribly depressed about the whole situation. Pam
 
Last week I took a bad fall and hit my knee on the pavement so it is really hurting now. I had it x-rayed in the ER and apparently there is no fracture but it hurts even to touch it.
That's rather obvious as you probably hit your knee where the metal implant is which means the skin and other soft tissue were seriously bruised when squished between the cement and the implant! In other words, it's just a really, really bad bruise!
Another concern is that I don't have anyone to help me after the surgery.
When I had my knees done, I had a care assistant come to be with me for things like taking a shower, doing some washing up, getting a meal and such. I only had them come an hour a day and after a couple of weeks, I had a bill for about £160 which I thought was quite reasonable.

Don't you have neighbours you could enlist the aid of? Do you have a church in your area you could contact to see if they would get volunteers to help? The churches I went to (three of them in this area) all stepped up when they had such a call, even if the person concerned wasn't actually a member of the church.

This site has been such a blessing to me. I am concerned that it won't be here when I finally get up the courage to have the second surgery.
And don't worry about that - this forum will only go dark over my dead body! I have plans to take over the basic funding if all else fails. But I seriously doubt it will come to that.
 
Hi Jo, Nice to hear from you! I live in California and people in my neighborhood are unfortunately into their own lives and not much interested in others.: ( I do belong to a church but I can't count on them because most everybody works and is too busy with their own families. I don't want to be a burden on anyone anyway. I have looked into hiring someone to come in but it is very expensive in my neck of the woods. I will figure something out.
I am so glad to hear that the site will probably continue. I have been trying to find funding but it is slow going.
 
@ucsbgal1971 - I am so sorry to hear of your difficulty. Have you considered a CNA? Here in the South US - they are wonderful. They cook, clean and take care of short errands and the cost is roughly minimum wage (it should be more). Maybe an option?
 
I don't want to be a burden on anyone anyway.
If I had a £1 for every time I've heard people say that, I'd be a very rich woman! Fact is that you don't know if you don't try. I've always found people very willing to offer help if asked. And - pardon me for saying this - but often people say that as a means to avoid having to ask! As for not being a burden on anybody - if the situation was reversed, wouldn't you be more than keen to help someone in need? Read this Nurturing mother: how to let go and accept help
 
I live in California and people in my neighborhood are unfortunately into their own lives and not much interested in others.: ( I do belong to a church but I can't count on them because most everybody works and is too busy with their own families. I don't want to be a burden on anyone anyway. I have looked into hiring someone to come in but it is very expensive in my neck of the woods. I will figure something out.
Pam, human nature is such that we love to feel needed and help out others. Even if it's for only a couple of hours, people like to be asked to help, and will help if asked. They will want to know what you need and let you know what they can do and come up with a plan to help. Have you ever heard that if you want something done, ask a busy person? Busy people will either just say no up front or if they agree, they won't just not show up-they'll follow through. Some people may truly have too much on their plates already, others are more than willing and able if just asked! True friends will always help in some way. I live in an area where every person I know is working full time, is elderly or has young kids to care for. But I know they'd help out wherever they could if I really needed help. Even I helped others when I had six kids and was extremely busy-I made meals for new moms, watched a kiddo for friends when needed, etc. So, don't be afraid to ask for help-be straightforward and ask all your friends if they would help you after surgery in some way. You won't be a burden-but I think that may be an excuse to not ask for help as you're afraid everyone will say no. I'm sure some will not be able or willing to help, but others would be glad to help, especially if you've been a helpful, giving person yourself when needed. It is expensive to hire help-but if you know you might need to do it, maybe now would be a good time to start putting aside a little fund to pay someone when the time comes, to fill in some hours when friends or church members can't be there.
 
@ucsbgal1971, Hi Pam~ My heart goes out to you and am glad you have reached out here to the caring members of your BoneSmart family! I can only imagine how overwhelmed you must feel.

I will put your name on my prayer list and hope that you soon feel encouragement that things can and will improve.

Hope to see more of your posts as you feel like sharing. We're here for you!

[Bonesmart.org] Lesions caused by metal sensitivity
 
Josephine, You are correct. It is difficult for me to ask for help. I will give it a try. If they say no, nothing lost, nothing gained. Thanks for pointing that out.
 
Hi Kim, Yes, people will probably help. I just need to get up the courage to ask. I have been putting aside a little savings to cover expenses so I should be OK. Thanks for taking the time to respond. I appreciate your input. Pam
 
Suz, Thanks so much for puitting me on your prayer list!!! Prayers work for sure! I so appreciate your kind understanding! It means a lot. Thanks again. Pam
 
I've found if you have very specific requests, that helps. For example, I was able to figure out ahead of time what some of my needs would be. I was lucky to have about 3 friends who were willing to take me to some of my PT appointments. So what we agreed is that I'd try to get dates that worked for them and then basically email to all three "who can take me on x, y or z day?" That way I didn't have to ask the same person for everything.
 
I finally got up the courage to go for a revision and Dr Yun in Santa Monica turned me down because he says I have fibromyalgia. I had fibromyalgia before the TKR. Will someone tell me why fibromyalgia elimates me from having a revision?! The pain in the knee has nothing to do with my fibromyalgia and if fibromyalgia is a deterant I wonder why my other doctor replaced my knee in the first place. I am so discouraged! Now what!!!!!
 
I guess I am destined to live in a wheelchair for the rest of my life. Feeling despondent. Two other doctors are willing to do the surgery but their hospitals are rated terribly. Are they willing to take me on just to make money or is fibromyalgia really not a problem and is Dr Yun not being truthful with me. I don't know what to think.
 
Hi! I have no information about the revision with fibromyalgia but I do know that the are some people on this site that have that condition. If you do a search on it (top of the page) some conversations should come up with names.
 
We have had people on BoneSmart with fibromyalgia and they have had knee replacements.

Don't despair. Of course you're not doomed to living in a wheelchair.

You need to find another surgeon.
 
I have read here that others have had TKR's with fibromyalgia but I thought maybe things have changed. I didn't have a pain problem or any fibro symptoms when I had the replacement. I don't know what to think or who to trust. Dr Yun is supposed to be tops and his hospital is rated #1. I wonder if he just doesn't want to take a complicated case to risk his rating. I wish I knew what doctor I can trust. Yun just shook his head yes when I asked if it would be better to be in a wheelchair for the rest of my life.
 
btw I just saw there is only 18 hours left of the fundraiser and we didn't reach the goal. Will this site go down for a while? I hope not!!!!!
 
We are still here.
Notice I gave you a revision banner, keep searching for surgeons specializing in revisions. If the hospital is important, find a good hospital then search for a surgeon there. I know UC Irvine has good surgeons in the hospital near Disneyland.
The OS who said no is uncomfortable working with fibromyalgia, and would not be a good match for you in any case.
Don't give up, keep searching, you may have to travel.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom