Bilateral TKR Lene' two new knees

Take an ice pack or two in the car with you. I'd stick an ice pack up my pant leg while driving to and from work. Truly, the weights are not a good idea until 3-4 months post op. If you're not in pain during the day, but you are at night it's usually a sign of doing too much with your knee. To improve your extension all you need to do is extend you're leg from an ottomanor other chair while you sit and push the ottoman away, leaving your leg to form a bridge. My extension is in the negative range and that's all I did. Check out the photo in this link.

https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/extension-how-to-estimate-it-and-ways-to-improve-it.9529/
 
Hi @lene'

I bought a weight to use for my extension. I was told, for my first tkr, to put my foot on an ottoman and drape my knee with a weight...using gravity and the weight to straighten my leg. I stopped using the weight just prior to my second tkr (and because I can't easily get out of the chair I was using...) It didn't really hurt, but it was uncomfortable. I also have come to realize that I should not use many weights until I'm much further out. I will probably go back to doing this again soon, but maybe sitting in my bed with my leg to the ottoman instead.

Sounds like you are doing really well. I am definitely not taking any walks outside like you are!!!

Got a little snow today, but I'm hoping for much more!!

Jen
 
You're right, Jen. It is too soon to be using weights. Since ROM (both flexion and extension) can continue to improve for a year or more after a TKR, there's no need to rush.
 
UPDATE: This week Wednesday, I will be 10 weeks from my Bilateral TKR. So today I told PT this was my last day! The reason is I see my OS on Thursday and I more than expect he will say I can go back to work next Monday. Thursday is also my birthday and I certainly don't plan on celebrating it at PT!!!! Once I am back to work, I will have no time for PT. So today they took their "numbers" again. Right knee is 111/6 and Left is 115/3, I am just fine with that...My right knee has been the most swollen all along and the left has been better. Both still have swelling and stiffness so they will continue to improve I am sure. My job is a desk job and I work from home, so I intend to just run my ice machines at my desk and elevate on a stool if need be. I can get up and walk around to avoid getting too stiff from sitting. My biggest worry is getting enough sleep at night to function during the day. So far I have only managed 3 hours straight at one time. Because I am a side sleeper, I need to put a pillow between my knees to be comfortable. But after awhile, it makes the hip on that side hurt, so that wakes me and I have to roll over and sleep on the other side, finally it is too much and I have to go sleep in the recliner!! It is getting alittle better, since only a week ago I could only sleep an hour at a time..
Anyway, I am glad to not have to do PT anymore, and will just keep working on my extention and ROM on my own. Not looking forward to going back to work, would like a couple more weeks, but with the holidays, next week will only be 4 days and the week after only 3, so not too bad. Gotta pay the bills and hopefully it will make the winter go by faster too!!!
Blessings,
Lene'
 
Those are good numbers that I'm sure will get even better. Daily living will be all you have time and energy for once you're working.
 
It sounds like you are doing well (other than sleeping). Hope your return to work goes well.
 
Saw the OS yesterday, he was VERY happy with my progress. He had no problems with my bend and extention...said they were good and they will continue to improve!! Yay!!! Said my scars look good and to come back in 6 weeks. I told him that I am still having difficulty sleeping and he said to try some Tylenol PM for a week, if that doesn't work talk to my GP about a sleep aid... I will go back to work on the 27th. So I have one more week to get the sleeping under control which I am happy about! Yesterday was also my Birthday so it was a good present too!
Tonight I went to the mall and walked the whole mall!! I am not fast, as the right leg hurt somewhat in the back of the knee, but I did it all with no cane!! Swelling afterward was minimal!
 
That's fabulous to hear @lene' . I look forward to be able to walk the mall again.
 
Great progress lene'! I found I could do one day that active with minimal swelling, maybe 2, but then if I pushed it to three, I swelled up (mostly calf and ankle, not knee) for a couple of days.

I'm about two weeks behind you, so I'm hoping at 10 weeks I have as much bend as you do. Right now my left is approx. 100 and right is just shy of 90.
 
@lene'

I am so jealous of your numbers!!! You are doing so well and with a bilateral to boot! I couldn't even imagine going back to work this soon, so good for you! One of the benefits of working from home is being able to ice and elevate when you need to, so I'm positive you will do fine!

I too need help with my sleep. I sleep in my bed, but no matter what I do or try, I cannot fall asleep until at least 3am, and usually later like 6am. I sleep for 2-3 hours and then get up for the bathroom, and then back to bed to get a few more hours. Sometimes I nap in the afternoon, sometimes I don't, and sometimes I sleep all day!! I take hydroxyzine, Tylenol PM, trazadone, my pain pill for sleep, but not all at the same time, usually. I hope you are able to get it back to a good schedule this week because lack of sleep is awful! It's so much better for healing to get good sleep. :)

Keep up the great work on your own! Who needs PT anyway?!? Not you!

Jen
 
Hello everyone, just wanted to drop in to give a quick update. At 11 weeks, I think I am doing pretty well, I have good days and some days are just "meh"! Still have the tight band feeling at some point most days, worse with more activity of course. Still can't get either leg perfectly straight but still have some swelling in both legs so I am not surprised. I stretch each as much as I can a few times a day. All in All, I am so THANKFUL that I do not have the bone on bone pain anymore. I can now walk my dogs outside even in the snow most days...and that is good for all of us! Yesterday I spent most of the day in hubby's machine shop helping build my one dog a metal crate. I mean it looks more like a Tiger cage, but he has destroyed 2 airline crates and a wire metal crate so now it is hubby against the dog to build something he can not get out of!!! But what I really want to say about that is before my surgery, I couldn't help in the shop for more than 10 min. at a time...and although I did sit down when I was tired yesterday, I did much better than I did pre-surgery..! I hope to get stronger and stronger now. I sometimes get frustrated because before all the knee problems, I was a strong, resourceful farm girl, and then when the knees went bad I seemed to lose a lot of strength and stamina. I keep telling myself now that I will get it back but have to remember how long it has been since I could do much. After the first of the year I am hoping to start back with weight training for upper body and treadmill/ stationary bike.

This recovery is not for the faint of heart, but I do believe that in the long term it will be wonderful!!

Wishing everyone a Merry Christmas and a Happy, Healthy, Blessed New Year!!

Lene'
 
Merry Christmas, @lene' :candle:! Good to hear things are going well. Your stamina will return, remember you're just over two months post-op. I thought I could work to regain my stamina, but even after going back to teaching I had difficulty swimming at 8 months. Eventually I was able to swim my laps, but it took a few weeks of building up from 3 laps to 15.

I hope your return to work goes smoothly.
 
I hope everyone had a great Christmas! Back to work today, once I got all my computer access back, it was like I never left!! I made sure I got up and walked around every hour or so. And wouldn't it figure that after 8 straight days of cloudy dreary western NY skies, today would be the day we got sunshine and 45 degrees!!! I did however walk the dogs on my lunch hour and got a 45 min dose of natural vitamin D!!! Hurray! knees are doing pretty good, but I have been taking some ibuprofen which really seems to help with my swelling! Which in turn helps with my pain. I know everyone here seems to prefer the Tylenol but it just doesn't seem to do much for me even at the higher doses! Still not sleeping well and it is .t just the knees, but now my hips and my back?? Can't figure it except it is either my mattress or the weird position I need to sleep on my side??? Anyway, hoping for a better night tonight. stay well everyone!
 
Happy New Year everyone!!! I wish for health and healing for all my fellow Bonesmarties!!!

For those of you still in the dark, early days, I know how hard it is to believe that it is all going to get better...But believe it....It Will!!! I am 3 mos out and today, I walked my dogs twice outside in the fields by my home, and played toys with them in the sunshine and I realized that for the first time in 5 years I am PAIN FREE!!!
I no longer waddle side to side, I walk straight and am getting my stamina back slowly but surely! I still have some stiffness and probably I am not quite to zero extention, but I don't care because I know I will get there. I quit PT two and a half weeks ago, hopefully never to return.. I only did about 6 or seven PT sessions anyway so don't over do it on the PT, your function will return with just your daily living as the Bonesmarter folks all say!! I still struggle with the sleep thing, have a hard time getting comfortable but it also is improving slowly...
Just don't despair....it is tough, but you all can do this!!! And it will be great in the end!!!

Blessings,
Lene'
 
I am the same date as you and today went snowshoeing for a little distance... I was wondering if I fell over if I could kneel to get up. So I just wussed out after a short distance.. three feet of snow.
We decided to go to the gym. Working out on the legs , presses and extensions and hamstring curls felt great with minimal resistance. Upping the weights will come later. Did 20 min on treadmill and 20 on bike.. and there is an abdominal exerciser where you kneel on a rotating bench.. I approached that with some apprehension. Knelt on it with good leg then with newly good. Wahoo! No discomfort that was more than just an annoyance. I don't have to worry if I have to kneel.

No PT here either since before Thanksgiving. The idea is not to compare recoveries as everyone is different but to encourage all who are in the dark days to keep their focus on better days ahead. This truly will be a New Year for you! And you will have rewards you truly have earned.
 
I so enjoyed reading and following this post, lene you were so good at posting your step by step journey, and its given me encouragment.
I'm at 4 weeks and 3 days, have 130+ and 1 on straight but still weak and shaky off the walkerso I use it 99%
Thanks all for your help, maybe soon I can help others like youve done for me
 
Happy birthday, Merry Christmas, and Happy New Year, Lene'! I am back o the grid, driving from Western Kentucky to Naples, Florida today and tomorrow. Mostly hubby driving, so I can stretch and ice. So happy to hear of your progress! Sounds like you are on the mend. I am 5 1/2 months out with btkr's. It has been hard but I had foot surgery in October so I blame my slower recovery on that. It was just as painful! Anyway, good to hear from you.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
 
Wow, I haven't updated my post in awhile, as I am back to work and pretty busy. I will be 14 weeks tomorrow, yaaay!! I am doing very well, I am only taking advil once a day if I am slightly swollen, it does help me..although now there are days when I forget to take anything...like today in fact. Knees feel good, no pain, just some numbness on the outside and a little on the front. I am sleeping much better and rolling over in bed better. I am walking my dogs a 1/4 mile three times a day, outside in the field (uneven ground but a mowed path). Over the weekend I was helping hubby in the shop and had to assist with pushing on a metal plate with a 2x4 and without even thinking, I pushed on it with my knee...!!!! :tada: But it didn't hurt at all!
I guess my biggest issues are still getting up from a low seat or sitting down on a low seat...still doesn't feel like I have all my strength back to do that...Hoping that soon I can get back to the gym and start getting stronger slowly. Maybe start riding the bike some. I wish it wasn't winter because, I hate excercising inside!! I much prefer riding a real bike or walking outside in nature vs stationary bikes and treadmills. But, for now walking the dogs in the fields will have to do. I am also looking for somewhere to start swimming some...but most of the gyms with pools are quite pricey!!
I am having some clicking in my knees, particularly my right one, but nothing that is really painful. I also can go up and down the stairs normally now, but find myself reverting to old habits going up and down with both feet on same stair...I have to consciously tell myself, I don't have too...It is part habit and part laziness.:no-fin:
Everyday I am happier I did this, even days when I am still slightly stiff and swollen, at least I don't have that awful bone on bone pain...
Keep the faith everyone!!
Lene'
 
I'm glad to hear you're doing so well. Well done! :flwrysmile:
 
Good for you ! I am one day behind. I found a campground that has a year round pool. The rates are five bucks for two and a half hours.. I also have a gym membership and probably will only use the pool once a week. I have a stationary bike that is in front of the TV.. guilt if I sit in a chair.
I too have to remind myself that my knee is stable enough to go downstairs and upstairs normally. Up sometimes aches.
We have snow from Nov to April and being cooped up is no fun. We have microspikes so we can always get out.
I hear you on inside exercising... I would rather be out and noticing things like animal tracks in the snow and the sounds of ice.
Low seats are still a bit of a challenge. I sat on a rock about 8 inches high covered in ice but did not slide off.. But sat there thinking.. uhoh what now? Hubby gave me a hand and I got up expecting a twinge.. was a surprise when there wasnt any

So I am in the light too! My husband admired my.... gait.. today!
 

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom