Bilateral TKR Lene' two new knees

Great 6 month report, and congrats on losing 4 lbs! I'm a couple of weeks behind you but what you described sounds about like the same place I'm at, so I would say the stiffness is normal for where we are at.
 
Hello fellow Bonesmarties, I am back for my 8.5 month update....
Everything has been going very well with the knees. I am walking up to 10-11,000 steps on the weekends, less during the week because I have an office job, but not bad about 7,000 steps average on a work day. I have also started riding my bike outside again in the morning, riding a couple miles before starting work each day. The weight loss has not been going as well, but I haven't given up yet on that either.
Most days, I don't even think about my knees anymore. I get very little swelling even on days I do a lot. My right knee still is slower than my left. Sometimes I have pain running from the back of that knee down the inside to below my knee cap, not sure what that is, it is most annoying late in the day so probably an over use thing.
I have, since my surgery, developed a pain in my lower back on the left side....not sure if now i have a hip going bad or if it is a result of my gait? Or something else entirely.... ? Also right after surgery I had a short stint of plantar fasciitis kick up which was really annoying, I have struggled with getting the right shoes on my feet to resolve that problem too. I finally spent the big bucks on a pair of Altra Running shoes, they seem to be helping a great deal, they have an extra wide toe box which helps when my feet swell and what they call a "zero drop" platform which has really helped stop me walking on my toes. They almost force me to walk heel-toe which is great! Walking on my toes was what I did before surgery and I have had a hard time learning not too.
I am soooo happy that I had my knees replaced at this point. I really feel like I am getting my life back to normal again. I am really glad I did them both at once too...One and done and now on to our regularly scheduled program!!!
For all of those in the "dark days" it is hard to think it will get better but it WILL! Keep the faith and DON"T OVERDO IT! I really think I was very successful with this because I did very little PT and just did what I could, when I could. Walking my dogs daily, farther each week, lengthening my stride to help stretch things and just living my life again.
Wishing everyone strength and hope for the journey,
Blessings,
Lene'
 
Your update really encouraged me today. I am at 8 weeks and start my first day back on the job tomorrow; my 63rd B-day. I'm not excited to start back, but glad it is half days for this next week. I need to hear how others are doing months into their recovery. My legs feel heavy most of the time, and walking down the street feels like a labor. I have to think about each step. Thanks!
 
It's so good to read about your successful recovery.
Am so happy for you. I admire your courage to get both knees replaced at the same time.
Happy Summer!:loveshwr:
 
Glad to hear everything is going well and some of the other issues are being resolved. What is it with those darned right knees? Mine is being far less cooperative than my left too.
 
Hello Bonesmarties!!! my 10.5 month update is even better than my 8.5 month update. My knee's are feeling GREAT! I don't even think of them most of the time...I only have discomfort when I do too much and mostly that is from the muscles not the replacements. Once in a while a little tweek here or there, like maybe the tendons are stretching. Sometimes when I get up from a low chair or bench I hear sort of a grinding/ripping sound. I think someone else on here mentioned it...I am not sure what it is, scar tissue? something else? it does not hurt, but it sounds kind of bad! Other than that I am doing GREAT. I am walking 3-4 miles a day, and riding my bike most morning before work 2-3 miles. Yesterday, I noticed that I can now walk down a ramp without any discomfort, that was somthing I wasn't so good at even a month ago, but did it yesterday with no pain or discomfort at all.
The weird one thing that has taken me the longest that still bothers me some is a simple step down from a curb, or over a threshold, or out of the shower stall? I can go down stairs one over the other great as long as I have a handrail. Going down without a handrail is still a problem....! Going up without one is doable, but not preferred.
Also even kneeling is better than it was although I avoid it if I can and if I can not, I only kneel on pillows. The skin over my knee caps is sensitive but even that has improved some.


I just wanted to drop in and give those who are "waiting" to get better, some encouragement. It is tough to have patience, but you MUST...only do what you can and as time goes by you will be rewarded for it! If you push yourself too hard you could have problems that will take even LONGER to correct. The Bonesmart way is the RIGHT way....no tough PT, even very little PT until the swelling goes away...once the tissues are healed your new knees will work just as well...no wait...even better than the old ones because you will not have anymore bone on bone pain. And it take time for those tissues to heal...remember you were cut "to the bone" your bones were cut! Yikes, that is a lot for your body to reconcile!!! And truly don't compare yourself with anyone else, we all heal at different rates.

I couldn't be happier that I have two new knees, I have my life back again, I can stand up to cook, walk my dogs everyday! Help my hubby in his business again. I am no longer constantly looking for a place to sit down!!! I can shop again!!!! :loveshwr:

It is all good for now..... I will let you know how it goes on my one year mark!!
Wishing all of you...All the best!

Blessings,
Lene
 
thanks for the encouraging post. happy for you that you're doing so well.
 
Wonderful report! And such an inspiration for those behind you. This surgery is so worth it!
 
Thanks for the wonderful, encouraging post. Several of us are 3-4 months from surgery and still struggling with various aches and pains, swelling, poor sleeping, etc. So good to know that better days are ahead. Congrats on having such great success with your new knees. :loveshwr::dancy::egypdance:
 
What a great report!! Thanks for the encouraging post for those of us behind you!! I'm sure those stepping issues will get better with time.
 
Hello bonesmarties....OMG I have been remiss in my updates so much I missed my 1 year anniversary!! All I can say is that I have been so busy healing and getting on with my life, I don't even think about my knees much AT ALL! I am now (or was till the weather turned bad) riding 6 -7 miles daily on my bike! As well has walking 3-4 miles a day also. I have lost 15lbs and am feeling great!
I just want to encourage everyone who is still struggling to stick to the bonesmart way, wait till you are healed before doing to much then slow and steady wins the race!!
Blessings,
Lene'
 
Very encouraging report. Most of had surgery to be able to walk better, and wham, recovery is so hard and long. Nice to see the light at the end of the tunnel.
 

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022

Members online

Back
Top Bottom