THR Leg length after surgery

When can we start trying to step on operated leg on the stairs? phsyo will start next week.

Hi my hippy friend. :wave:
Since I had a two-fer, with bilateral...there wasn't much choice but I did have a weaker leg so I babied it more.
No advantage really to making it perform earlier than later, in my opinion.
Early days still.

Hope you are doing well.

For me it transitioned naturally, as I healed I stopped thinking about it and "accidently" walked up several steps without thinking about it.
I've noticed that several members on this forum were advised to avoid this until they were to 6 weeks of healing, I'm guessing that if your surgeon didn't put any limits on you that you can when you feel up to it?
Maybe put a call in to their office to double check? I see you are only about 2 weeks post op, that seems to be rushing it a bit.

No advantage really to making it perform earlier than later, in my opinion.
Early days still.

I love how Mojo said this... patience and time are your friends right now.. your best buddies!

I will chime in too....just try tenderly....your hip and entire leg will let you know...you will not be able to hurt yourself if you are careful....try it!

When can we start trying to step on operated leg on the stairs? phsyo will start next week.

I didn't start until sometime between week 5 and 6. Started with down and once that felt comfortable I tried up. I can't remember being given any guidance on when to start.

Hindsight tells me I could of started earlier but my fear of screwing everything up held me back :) :-) (:

For me it wasn't so much stepping or placing weight on the operated leg. It was more not having the strength in the operated leg to make the next step up. As Bruce said down is easier as you're not lifting your weight to go down. Everyone is different and every hip is different as I can attest. With my left stairs came quickly with my right it took a little longer and I still feel a little weakness going up. I know it will pass with time.

When my visiting physical therapist thought I was strong enough, we did the stairs in and out of the house, always with a cane to support the new hip. Then as I got stronger ( less swelling, too) I did a whole set of stairs, with a cane, but was warned to only do this with someone spotting me.

Then I got to the point this past week she said I could do it on my own, with the cane. Thursday she said I could start to alternate my legs a bit on the stairs. I still use the cane to support the new hip. This sounds a bit terrible, but I used, bad leg goes to hell, to remember that one always goes first, going down, and good leg to heaven, to use that leg for going up. It really helped me remember which leg to use.

So confirmation from my surgeon today that he found my operated leg to be approximately 15mm shorter than my other leg so chose the appropriate implant and made the leg approximately 10mm longer. Says it will take a few months longer for the muscles to adjust and grow. Looks like I’ll also need new orthotics soon :(

And heard the following almost word for word from my physio today.

This sounds a bit terrible, but I used, bad leg goes to hell, to remember that one always goes first, going down, and good leg to heaven, to use that leg for going up. It really helped me remember which leg to use.

So confirmation from my surgeon today that he found my operated leg to be approximately 15mm shorter than my other leg so chose the appropriate implant and made the leg approximately 10mm longer. Says it will take a few months longer for the muscles to adjust and grow. Looks like I’ll also need new orthotics soon :(

So the difference is only 5mm in your case? I am sure you wouldn’t really feel it in couple if weeks. Mine is more like a cm different now. I will find out on my phsyo appointment next Tuesday.

I tried to use my operated leg when I went down the stairs and it felt ok, however it was hard going up to stairs. I wont try it for another week. I have started working from home which is keeping me sane otherwise I wouldnt know what to do at home all day long... I work on my laptop through the network so I don't struggle. I need to keep my calorie intake in control now as I ate whatever I wanted in the last 2 weeks. I wont fit my work clothes if I carry on like this
Oh I still walk a bit wonky! I suppose this is normal at this stage.

Last edited by a moderator:
Happy Two Month Anniversary!
How are you doing since we last heard from you? We’d love to read about any new progress.
Stay safe and well! Hope to hear from you soon. :)
@nazo12

Happy Three Month Anniversary!
I hope all is well. :)
@nazo12

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023

Forum statistics

Threads