Guest viewing is limited

TKR Left TKR with intra operative fracture

How are you doing, safi, as you near your three month anniversary?
Tell us something good! Or even not so good, if it applies.
Hope you're doing well and hope to read an update soon.
Happy Monday! :SUNsmile:
@safi
 
Hi @Layla
Thank you for thinking of me!

I have been spending a few days whilst icing and elevating,reading back on other Bonesmartie’s threads, it is so interesting and helps put things back in perspective for me.
I was getting ready to post my update so this is good timing though there is not a lot to report at the moment.

Things seem to have plateaued for the last 2/3 weeks, though my PT says not to worry as this can happen. My flexion is still around 105/106 so I still cannot do a full rotation on the bike just rocking back and forth still and eying they other people cycling away with envy
I’d be lying if I said it wasn’t frustrating but I keep trying to tell myself that even though I am at 12 weeks on paper in reality it is much less than that due to the 6 weeks in the brace, I think the warmer and slightly sunnier weather isn’t helping as I desperately want to be doing more than I can, but I know I can’t push it.

The main issues I have have at this time is a lot of stiffness/ heaviness that I know is normal and I am still having a sharp pain in the medial side of my knee at times especially when I try to flex it which I think impedes me flexing it further. I also find sitting in a chair very uncomfortable for the back of my leg, behind my knee and into the thigh, I do try to keep my knee moving some while sitting and find it helps a bit if I sit with my hand placed just behind my knee.
I think this must be muscles, ligaments and tendons still healing especially as I had 13 degree contracture before surgery so of course am trying to get extension back and they just don’t like being stretched.

I am walking mostly now without a cane though I do take it in the truck when we go out just incase I need it though I am not walking any great distances yet but find it does help to walk around the store pushing a cart but funnily enough I can walk upstairs pretty well one foot after another as long as I hold onto the railing and sometimes back down again fairly well as long as I take it slowly.

I am also having a DEXA bone density scan tomorrow that my GP ordered just to make sure that I don’t have osteoporosis to rule that out as a reason for the fracture and I see my OS on Friday for a follow up.

Phew! Sorry that was so long and again thank you for checking in with me, I will report again after Friday!
 
even though I am at 12 weeks on paper in reality it is much less than that due to the 6 weeks in the brace
YES! In a very real sense, you were not able to being recovering your flexion until you were out of that brace. I'm glad you recognize this because it puts that 105 number in perspective.

I think this must be muscles, ligaments and tendons still healing
This is normal at 12 weeks post-op. Soft tissues can take a long time to recover from the trauma of surgery.

The fact that you can climb stairs "normally" at this stage is quite a milestone. I could do that until about 3 months out. I think you are doing really well for your early challenges.

Remember that this is a year-long recovery and at 12 weeks, you are barely 1/4 of the way through. Things will continue to improve with time. Just keep moving.
 
I also find sitting in a chair very uncomfortable for the back of my leg, behind my knee and into the thigh,
It can take a while to be comfortable in a chair, with our feet on the floor. I found that the seat height made a difference as to how comfortable I was or wasn’t (even still, at 9 years post op) The higher the seat height, the less comfortable I was/am.
 
Thanks for the update, safi!
I loved reading through threads in early recovery also, but will admit there were some I avoided if I was frightened by the title. Protecting my peace, I guess. :wink: You do find a lot of similarities while reading and it is comforting to know you're not alone.

I understand your frustration in feeling as though you've plateaued, but your PT is right...and you are insightful by taking your time in the brace into consideration.
though I am not walking any great distances yet but find it does help to walk around the store pushing a cart
We have a member on the hip side, Eman85, and he mentions that "shopping cart therapy" often as a way to practice gait after joint replacement. It does help!

All of these little kinks will get ironed out over time. Soft tissue healing, nerves settling and strength and stamina increasing.

Good luck with the DEXA scan tomorrow. I hope it's quick, easy and all good news!
Will look forward to your next update. :)
 
Thank you all for your continued insight and reassurance, it all helps so much and I will definitely update later this week

Oh I did forget one milestone.
Yesterday I finally had a bath! It was daunting but I’ve been wanting to try as I used to love soaking in a warm bath but we have a clawfoot tub which luckily is fairly long so I can sit/ lay without bending my knee, but unfortunately is fairly high to get in!
Anyway I decided yesterday was the day, so I primed hubby that I would need assistance and I was able to get in on my own with the aid of the little step with handle that I used to get onto the bed. It was bliss to have a lovely soak and hubby helped me out as I wasn’t confident in the strength of my non operated leg to pull myself up completely on my own without bending my left leg too far.
I felt so good after !
 
Woohoo! Scrub-a-dub-dub! :bath: Bliss!
Great milestone, safi.
@safi
 
Happy Three Month Anniversary, safi!
Hope you had a relaxing weekend. Wishing you a peaceful week ahead! :SUNsmile:
@safi
 
Thank you @Layla for thinking of me.
I am a bit late updating, last weekend was a busy one as we had 2 family birthdays and I had to make a Minecraft birthday cake for one of them so spent a lot of time on my feet.

I saw my surgeon on the 8th and he seemed happy with my progress even though I’m still a bit stalled on flexion and extension, he just held my foot in his hand and said my extension looked about 7 degrees which he said was a big improvement than it was before surgery, then let me bend my leg myself under the chair and thought it looked to be getting close to 110. I still have ongoing weakness in the leg due to quad and muscle wasting so still working hard on that and I mentioned the sharp pain on the medial side when at full extension and flexion and he felt it could be the MCL.

He advised keeping up with stretching and low impact exercises, cleared for swimming and advised cycling ( though I can still barely do a full rotation ! ) and walking.
I go back to see him in 3 months.

My last therapy session was due to be on May 8th ( the therapy was part of a package deal with the Orthopedic group/ surgery center / insurance provider ) but due to my circumstances, my therapist was able to get me approved for some more sessions so I don’t have to use my insurance provided 20 sessions with co-pay to carry on, which was a relief as I was worried in case I need to use those at a later time in the year as we never know what may crop up unexpectedly!
My therapist is also now doing some massaging which I think is helping to make the back of the knee uncomfortableness ( can’t think of a better word atm! ) better and is definitely waking up some nerves in the knee and foot.
X-rays looked good again.

Day to day I am doing ok except for the medial pain and just this last week I am getting some kneecap pain which I hope will disappear again in time. I still have a lot of stiffness which I know is internal swelling even though externally it is looking not as bad as it was and I know that contributes to the flexion issues/ pain also.I also know it is still early days so am trying to keep myself and my emotions in check!

I did have a shock in the changing room at a store this week and had to laugh as I was trying on shorts in the changing room, as I looked in the mirror I suddenly realized how much straighter my new knee leg was but it showed me how much out of line my right leg was now! I have the same varus in that leg that I had in the left but the arthritis is not so advanced as the left so am trying to hang on as long as possible before attempting another TKR any time soon but it now looks like I have legs from 2 different people I never realized how bad my legs were before as I was so used to how they were!

Sorry for yet another long winded post but thank you again for your kind concern and I hope everyone had/has a good weekend!
 
Good update, @safi. Remember that at 3 months, you are just 1/4 of the way through this year-long recovery. In fact many of our members have found that their recovery continues into the second year.

Your flexion and extension will continue to improve with time. Keep moving, don't overdo. Slow and steady is the best way to run this race.
 
You're welcome, safi. Thank you for the update! It is great news that your surgeon is happy with your progress and your x-rays look good. :thumb: At only three months post surgery, you have time to make some decent headway over the next nine months or so. You're doing well and heading in the right direction. I hope the massages are comforting and the PT helps get you to where you want to be.
Stay in touch. It was a pleasure to hear from you! :)
@safi
 
you had me at Minecraft cake, @safi! wow, way to go! what a lucky kiddo (i assume). i get fatigued making a batch of muffins. so many steps!

that's a wonderful update, and you're meeting all the challenges with aplomb.

I'm sure you'll get the other TKR, if you want it, when it's the right time for you. i think all of us on here know it's not something you just jump into (LoL).

i have a similar thing with my legs which i might not have noticed if my physio hadn't very kindly pointed out how the new one looks less "developed" . at least she didn't say wasted!?

hope you enjoy your new clothes.
 
Thank you @FleuveStone
Yes it was a cake for 4 year old grandson and I did make it in stages as standing for a fair while is uncomfortable, so I made the cake one day then decorated the next, which was definitely more complicated than it looked online at least he liked it!

Definitely going to try and wait as long as possible for RTKR as I am a bit wary of going through it again, even though I know the likelihood of having a fracture during surgery probably would not happen a second time but it gives me pause for thought!

Oh I forgot to mention my DEXA scan came back normal so at lease we know that wasn’t a reason it happened.

I hope you and hubby have a good week.
 
so fun about the cake! you've definitely got a lucky grandson!

congrats on the Dexa scan. good news, though sorry it didn't solve the mystery. it's so hard to know why some things happen.

thanks for your kind words about my husband!
 
Hi there, @safi :wave: We haven't heard from you in a few weeks. How are you feeling? Please give us an update when you have a chance.
 
Hi and thank you for asking @benne68, I have been meaning up update though not a lot has changed.

I don’t really have much to update at 16 weeks now, I seem to be in a plateau phase at the moment.
I still have therapy twice a week but it is being hinted that Friday might be my last day but that is being decided session to session.
My flexion is still varies between 100/110 when I use a strap or push my leg with my other leg but am struggling to get that under my legs own power without any assistance .
My muscles still don’t seem to engage very well and get fatigued quickly and I am still having quite a lot of discomfort at the back of the leg/knee still and of course the tightness across the knee and medial side pain on flexion.

In therapy we have been working more on functionality, stretching and working on strengthening that leg. my PT has also been using ASTYM which I do feel has helped with some of the soft tissue issues and has definitely helped bring some nerves back into play.
He is very happy with my progress considering everything and says if I can consistently get to about 110 he feels I will be able to do most things on an every day level and I know all the exercises and to keep doing them at home.
I was hoping to eventually get to 120 but time will tell and as we know here and my PT also says that I should still keep healing improving for at least a year.

I did feel I turned a corner over the weekend as I was on my feet a lot both days and by the end of the day I really didn’t have much stiffness or swelling or discomfort which I had been having in the evenings right up until then and it still felt good on Monday but I think I spoke too soon when I told my PT at Mondays session, as yesterday and today it’s back to being very puffy and sore again! It must have been a delayed response!

I know I am very lucky to at least have the progress I have, I think I’ve just felt a bit down about it recently even though I have no reason to, I think it’s the nice weather and not being able to do all the things I would like without having discomfort and after effects!
This too will pass I am sure !

Thank you all for being here to listen
 
I was hoping to eventually get to 120 but time will tell and as we know here and my PT also says that I should still keep healing improving for at least a year.
I had a lot of improvement with my ROM all through my second year, so you may also. There’s no guarantee that at the one year mark, whatever you have then is all you’ll get.

I know I am very lucky to at least have the progress I have, I think I’ve just felt a bit down about it recently even though I have no reason to, I think it’s the nice weather and not being able to do all the things I would like without having discomfort and after effects!
This too will pass I am sure !
At 16 weeks you’ve been in this recovery for a long time, which is true, but in the “one year recovery” aspect, you’re technically 1/3 the way healed. Keep focused on the improvements you have, and more will come along the way. :flwrysmile:
 
I did feel I turned a corner over the weekend as I was on my feet a lot both days and by the end of the day I really didn’t have much stiffness or swelling or discomfort which I had been having in the evenings right up until then and it still felt good on Monday but I think I spoke too soon when I told my PT at Mondays session, as yesterday and today it’s back to being very puffy and sore again! It must have been a delayed response!
I think since you had no negative reactions after your weekend activities, that your knee is fine doing your normal things. Isn't that why we all had this surgery? It seems that your PT workouts have agravated it again. Since you're doing better with just your daily activities, why not postpone your PT for a few weeks and see how you do?
 

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom