Guest viewing is limited

TKR Left TKR with intra operative fracture

and I’m not as young as I was
That's true for all of us!

hopefully I can get it built back up
You can. Just set realistic goals for yourself and try not to be disappointed if it doesn't happen as quickly as you like. This is a slow-and-steady-wins-the-race kind of recovery.

Since it sounds like you have a good physical therapist, take advantage of his expertise. My PT was wonderful at helping me target specific muscle groups that needed help. I found him so helpful, that I go back to him from time to time for a "tune-up" even thought it's not covered by insurance.
 
is going to take a while as unfortunately my leg has atrophied a lot due to the 0 degree brace and I’m not as young as I was but hopefully I can get it built back up
It will come back when you start to use it more normally.
I remember when my son broke his leg playing football; I was horrified by how thin and wasted his leg was after 6 weeks in plaster- but the muscles came back quickly with normal use. I know it takes longer as we age but it will redevelop.
 
Stopping by to say Hi, safi :wave:
Wondering how recovery and therapy has been going since we last heard from you?
Let us know when you have time. A great week to you!
@safi
 
Hi @Layla

Thank you for checking in, I have to confess that I meant to update this past weekend but I just didn’t get around to it, I hope you all had a good weekend!
I think I spoke too soon the last time I posted that my knee felt pretty good after the first therapy session without the brace as later that morning it really started to complain and stiffened up and it swelled so much it felt rock hard and had what looked like new bruising appear below the knee area, it did not improve the next day and was very sore and felt like it wouldn’t bend as much as it had, so I reached out the my PT on the Monday morning and he squeezed me in for an appointment that day to check things over.

He said he couldn’t see any red flags and when he measured my knee the swelling was no worse than it was on the Friday but said to keep an eye on the bruised area, he just had me doing some small stretches then checked my flexion which was the same and hadn’t worsened so felt better about that news.

Tuesday and Thursday I had my normal PT appointment and they both went much better afterwards. I also gained flexion and it was measured at 90 last Thursday. He had me walking around at home without the brace as much as as I could tolerate and last Wednesday I had my first trip out to the store and walked very slowly around with my brace on and cane and it felt so good to be out and about after 7 weeks!

Things are definitely getting easier, I can walk up stairs one step after another holding on the rail and a cane, which I couldn’t do before, I find I am trying to keep moving as much as I can in between resting and icing, I have found sitting in my desk chair I can let my leg hang down by gravity and the gently move back and forward using my other leg to push back. I am even walking around indoors without my cane unless my leg is tired then I use it for safety.

I’m just back from PT today and did not wear my brace at all! Sitting with my legs up and ice on at the moment, my flexion today was 96 so I have gained over 20 degrees in 2 weeks which both myself and PT are pleased with, I have 2 more sessions this week until I see the surgeon on Monday ( still very anxious lol! ) and my PT thinks if I keep improving like this that I will have a good reason to push for continued therapy without MUA.
I have also just finished my course of prednisone so am hoping that the inflammation continues to improve.

Anyway sorry for such a long post but thank you so much for reaching out, it means such a lot and makes me feel less alone in this recovery.
 
Thanks for the update! It is nice to hear from you, safi.
Aside from the episode you experienced, at the beginning of your update, it sounds like you're making great progress and doing really well. I'm happy for you!
I hope your sessions this week are comfortably easy and you don't overdo it.
Wishing you the best for your visit with your surgeon next Monday. If you have time, please let us know how it goes.
Take care safi! :friends:
@safi
 
This is really promising news, @safi. Slow and steady….and you’re going to get there. You have the right approach.
 
Thank you both @Layla and @Jamie
I will definitely update after Monday’s appointment with the surgeon and I am definitely in the slow and steady camp at the moment and hope to stay there!
 
Most OSs won't even consider doing a MUA if the bend has reached 90*. You have surpassed that already, so you shouldn't have to worry about having one. You are improving, so it is obvious you don't have adhesions, the reason for having a MUA.
 
:hi:Happy Two Month Anniversary, safi!
I hope your weekend is all your want it to be! :SUNsmile:
Good Luck on Monday. :thumb:
@safi
 
Thank you @sistersinhim and @Layla

It is really good to hear that @sistersinhim , I really hope OS is reading the same page us !
I am definitely improving each week, yes I have stiffness and swelling which is to be expected as it’s still early days and it has only been 2 weeks since the brace came off properly for the first time but today my flexion was 102 and both myself and PT are really happy with that.
Also my functionality has improved so much I really see and feel a difference.
Hubby is also going to be right there with me at my appointment with OS on Monday and I know he will say exactly how I feel if I start to feel intimidated at all
I am really hoping that actually seeing and speaking to OS in person for the first time since my surgery, he will see what I have achieved and back off on recommending MUA.

Again thank you everyone for all your input, it is so much appreciated and I hope you all have a good weekend too!
 
You are doing so well, and there is absolutely no reason he should suggest a MUA. Don't let him talk you into doing something that you don't feel at peace about. You are seeing improvements each pt visit. You have no signs of adhiesons. Tell your hubby to back you up. An MUA would just cause you to have a setback. You don't want that!
 
Just to update Monday’s appointment with surgeon .

Well I guess I worried for nothing after the PA scared me 3 weeks ago lol!
He was so very nice and the first thing he said was how sorry he was that that had happened to me and that he was shocked when he saw the fracture during the trial implant being re fitted after having to cut away more bone.
He was very happy with my progress and said to keep up the good work with therapy. I had standing X-rays taken this time and he said they also look really good.
I have had a bit more swelling since finishing the prednisone but he said it will just take a while for it all to settle down and on the days it gets bad to just rest, ice and elevate as is recommended here and I will see him again on May 8th.
There was not a single mention of MUA, I can not tell you how happy I was after the appointment!
I hope you all have a good weekend!
 
Wonderful news, safi! Thanks for sharing that update with us. Your OS was pleased with your progress, the X-rays looked good, and no mention of MUA! It's understandable that you were happy and I'm sure relieved afterward. Nice way to go into the weekend. I hope you're enjoying it! :thumb: :SUNsmile:
@safi
 
wonderful news, @safi ! love that your surgeon seems as sensible as BoneSmart! enjoy the rest as much as you can. you're working hard while you're resting icing and elevating!
 
It does feel great to get out and be part of the world. Glad you enjoyed it and you're feeling comfortable enough afterward. I hope you have a good week, safi.
Happy Sunday! :)
@safi
 

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom