TKR Left TKR Recovery---Now I Have a Matching Set

The idea is if one ever falls on their knee, it's VERY easy to break a kneecap that has the button behind it. This is because it's only half as thick as before---they have to shave it down during TKR surgery to place the button, which makes the kneecap 1/2 as thick, thus MUCH more likely to crack/break if you fall on it. No button means a full-thickness kneecap remains,
That is very interesting and makes a lot of sense
 
I'm so glad you won the PT fight!!! You've been here and done this, you have a full set of info on how your body is going to react to things.

I am so eager to be able to get back to the chiropractor. With my current hip situation, I can't get on the table, but soon...
 
Today was a complete rest day after 2 ODIC days.:running: I definitely overdid it on Mon/Tues together. Monday was long due to the Post-op appointment and lunch, so I spent the night taking it easy. Tuesday was then a complete ((but good)) surprise--my neighbor/closest friend offered to bring lunch and to help me bag Halloween candy for the neighborhood. It's something we do every year, then sit in the driveway Halloween night with a fire, handing it out. It felt really good to do something normal.

The problem is even though we had a blast, we needed more candy. Plus I had three prescriptions ready ay the pharmacy. We decided to make one single trip to the pharmacy and get whatever candy they had on sale while picking up my prescriptions too. She drove-I picked out the handy-I got the prescriptions-she scoured the store for more candy on sale--then headed home. I walked at the pharmacy without the crutch though, using a cart to lean on, and the pharmacy line was long. It was A LOT of "leg-down" time, and I paid the price in pain/swelling today. Nothing HORRIBLE, but definitely not fun either. I took 3 naps of 2hrs each, elevating and icing each time too. Tonight is much better already.

The GOOD news is how much I was actually able to do both days without screaming in agony. I couldn't have done any of this at 4.5 weeks out from my last TKR in 2019. I'm pretty sure that one was more like 6 weeks to even leave the house, with a quick walk in and walk out of wherever I was. It just makes me happy to know things are improving, and the last 4-5 days have just been one thing after another than I can actually DO!!!

Oh yeah--the pharmacy had to order my high-powdered anti-inflammatory on Monday, and it's finally back in stock. I get to start taking that tomorrow, hoping I'm not sick as a dog the first 3 days again. It will be worth it though, as last time, I was moving 10X better within a week of starting it.
 
So it's been almost a week since I updated here, though I've been keeping up with everyone else's recovery as best as possible. I'm just shy of 6 weeks post-op, and I feel like the last 3-4 days have been a big setback with swelling and pain. I know I did more starting late last week, but I went slow and was very cautious. The swelling just isn't improving even though I started the stronger anti-inflammatory that worked wonders back in 2019.

I couldn't bend my knee much at all today, no matter what I did. The surgeon had suggested I started using a heating pad to heat the knee before trying to do stretches/exercises, but that seems to have backfired. I did it once yesterday and have regretted it since. Today's swelling was MUCH worse for no reason other than that heating pad. I won't be doing that again.

I think I'm just down and frustrated at the usual non-linear recovery. People keep asking me about events they think I should be fine to go to, and I get angry. My husband doesn't want me going to his sister's Saturday, even though we're all seeing 2 of his Aunts that no one has seen since 2019. He's worried about his sister's 150 lb Bernese and the "smaller" dog that's easily 100 lbs. I want to go and told my mother-in-law I was coming, but someone has to keep the dogs away from me at all times. I've had the Bernese take me down by surprise before when he ran by me. It was plain as day she thought we were blowing this out of proportion, but I know they will all be cautious.

Anyway, I've just been in a funk and didn't want to spread it. :boohoo:I keep wondering if something is wrong with the knee, then I remind myself this is just part of the roller coaster ride. I AM able to do more, and I do take less pain medication....so things are improving-----just not the things I want.
 
It's totally understandable having the blues, some improvements notwithstanding.

You've gone into this facing a much longer, tougher history than most of us bring to our TKRs. You've learned the hard way what is most likely to work and to not work.

And you mostly seem, at least here, to bear it with - depending on the day, or hour - various measures of grace, of frustration, of resilience, of humor, of righteous anger.

But I imagine there are times when all that there's energy for is a quiet "enough, already!" I got no great words of wisdom this evening, @Rockgirl4 , just a big ((hug)) You are heard, you are meaningful to us. And yes, you'll get through this night.
 
think I'm just down and frustrated at the usual non-linear recovery. People keep asking me about events they think I should be fine to go to, and I get angry. M
This is totally understandable. I hated it when people compared my recovery to my daughter in law's father's. He was one of those really irritating people who seemed to be back to normal very early.
An old friend used to drive me nuts saying ' Are you not better yet?'
The large dogs would scare me too.
You have had a lot of extra issues with inflammation and it's natural to worry but it sounds like overall you are seeing improvements. It is easy in the early weeks to get downhearted if there is an apparent setback after doing more. Good luck for the family trip.
 
@mendogal Thank you so much for the heartfelt reply :friends: , and you said it well---some days I'm just over it. I'm truly sick of thinking about knees. I was very excited for this to be the final ride, the final procedure, the final "will it heal right," the final rearranging of my life --and the list goes on. I think the best word I can find to describe the last decade is simply weary. It means a lot that you all let me pour my heart out, sharing the good/bad (and sometimes downright UGLY!!) of the last 25 years---which unfortunately has defined and steered half of my life. I think I broke down in tears 9-10X yesterday just from frustration. Some other friends/family have made it clear they're done with my saga, and that gets to me sometimes, as I've been quite the hermit with social media and texting this time around. It's all I can do sometimes to not say "YOU asked me---I didn't even bring it up!!" Those people who are most important DO care, and DO show their support thankfully, and that's all I need. I also know I needed a good cry over some things going on with my son's medical issues. When you add that to my knee, I just kept asking the universe why things are never just simple??!! We would love it, just one time, for something to be SIMPLE.

@EalingGran --I think that's part of the problem with going over there this weekend---everyone will ask me about the knee, a lot will insist on giving me their "expert" advice ((insert eyeroll emoji :sigh:)), and my sister-in-law (who LOVES to talk about other people's lives) will bring on the comparisons. Thankfully, she only lives 7 minutes away, so I can use the knee to bow out gracefully and ask Shawn to drive me home. He'll be MORE than happy to leave because of worrying about the big dogs. It's funny how I can look forward to going, just to get out and see people, yet dread knowing where some of the conversation will lead. Our saving grace is my son and husband were gone for a day-long trip Monday to tour a college 3 hrs away. Hopefully everyone will be more interested in THAT, as he's the youngest grandkid.

Last but not least---You guys are always here for me, and I probably should have relied on that more the last week instead of closing myself off further. I don't think I realized just how frustrated I've been with the outside world the last 2 years, and this part of my life recently brought that to the surface again. It's hard to ignore the "don't complain" expectations of my upbringing, when talking about it some always helps. You guys are the best. :friends:
 
I'm thinking I should write this down for anyone who stumbles on it later and worries about their own progress. I probably need to go back and read this in a couple of weeks. I regret not doing this a week ago, as I can already tell I'm making progress in the ADL's---even if the knee swelling is still ATROCIOUS!!! Keep in mind I'm a super slow healer, I always swell horribly and longer than most people, and my bending takes forever to come back.

At 5 wks & 6 days post-op, I can do the following:
1) Stand in the shower for 5-10 mins to wash my body/hair, even use conditioner. No way I can shave my legs yet though without a shower seat/sitting.
2) In the same day, I did a load of laundry and put it away, loaded/emptied the dishwasher, walked 100-120 feet to my neighbor's house to enjoy a few hours of Mario Kart, walked home, cooked my own waffles in the toaster, prepped and put a pork tenderloin in the slow cooker for dinner, and washed a few dishes by hand.
3) I tried some wall slides, and my knee was definitely bending to 90 degrees, maybe more....and this was on a knee that is MUCH more swollen the last 3-4 days.
4) I can sit in the front seat of a car comfortably for 10-15 minutes.
5) I can sit in a restaurant as long as I want, as long as I can prop the leg occasionally.
6) I can finally go a day with no oxycodone.

More Importantly---I still CANNOT:
1) I can't stand in one place longer than 5 minutes without needing something to lean on
2) I can't walk further/longer than 3-5 minutes without my hips/back/feet hurting a lot. (I'm pretty sure everything is out of alignment in my back/hips)
3) I can't sleep on my side for more than 2 hrs, and that's even with a huge pillow between my legs
4) I can't do hardly any chores except the VERY basics---no cleaning yet except for a small bathroom/sink and kitchen sink/counters.
5) I can't pedal backwards around on a bike, nor forwards. It's all about the rocking still.
6) No stairs yet. It's ugly and slow. I can go one at a time, but my balance isn't good and the OTHER hip wears out fast from compensating and doing all of the work.
7) Straight leg raises are still HARD and few.
8) Some days I can get my socks/shoes on and tied. I couldn't today due to so much swelling.

THINGS I SHOULD BE DOING MORE OF
1) I should be icing more (I keep forgetting)
2) I should still be elevating a lot (Epic Fail: I keep forgetting)
3) I should be working on a few more simple leg exercises. I can't lie---I've barely done any, and my hips are telling me to GET BUSY!!!! I have more hip and leg strength after this surgery than I expected though, so I didn't feel like I needed to until the last couple of days.
 
If it will help....
Create an ice and elevate schedule, 3x day, 45 minutes - including just before bedtime - and if your phone permits set reminders/alarms; otherwise post it notes on the bathroom mirror or somewhere similar.
And feel free to disregard this advice - it works for me, but we're all wired differently!
 
In the same day, I did a load of laundry and put it away, loaded/emptied the dishwasher, walked 100-120 feet to my neighbor's house to enjoy a few hours of Mario Kart, walked home, cooked my own waffles in the toaster, prepped and put a pork tenderloin in the slow cooker for dinner, and washed a few dishes by hand.
That actually sounds like quite a lot to me at just a few weeks out. I was able to walk quite well but wouldn't have had the stamina at your stage to do all that housework.
 
@EalingGran As soon as I wrote out that list last night, I wondered the same thing----am I doing too much??? It looks like a lot on paper, but it is SO hard to know where the line is.

@mendogal You gave expert advice and that's exactly my plan: scheduled icing and elevation. :yes!:I'm a scientist who like data, and my expert "knee" observations make it plainly clear that the swelling started getting crazy again when I stopped focusing so much on these 2 things. My phone alarm is about to get a workout of its own.
 
6 WEEK REPORT
It's hard to believe it's been 6 weeks since the 2nd TKR. As much as I have the usual list of complaints,(stiffness, swelling, tight band around knee, sleep troubles, limited range still at 90), I can say the days are passing without a constant need for meds. :yahoo:I told my husband that something must be improving if I'm not always ready for the next pain medication. He asked how close I was to not be needing them so I could drive on my own. I said at least a week for the daytime probably. I'll need it for sleeping for a while still.

The best part of the day was my hair appointment. I was desperate for a cut/color, and it felt wonderful. I had to ask my stylist for a chair to prop my leg as gravity wasn't very kind today. I think it had to do with showering this morning and having my leg down for so long, especially the 16-minute car ride in the front seat. I bet my leg was down maybe 1 hr and 35 minutes before I ever walked into the salon, then another 15 at the salon before going under the hair drier. That's when I got desperate and needed elevation. I was frustrated until I did the math and realized it was A LOT of time with gravity pulling on my sore leg/knee, and I'm sitting for MUCH longer periods thane ven a week ago.

I also think it says something that I keep forgetting to take more pain meds. I know I should keep things in my system, but this is a round-about way of my body showing me it DOES feel better a lot of the time.

The only weird thing (besides the crazy swelling that's hanging on), is a sharp pain both above and below the knee that started last night. I was experiencing the fire-like burning inside the knee, to the point it woke me up twice. Deeper pain was there when I got up today. The discomfort is mostly in my quad directly above the knee, and also directly below (most likely the patellar tendon area). I suspect all of these twinges are because of increased walking/activity, and the knee telling me some of it is too much, too soon. It is quite the juggling act. I keep having extreme soreness all down the front of my lower leg, and I can only assume it's an artifact from surgery, as it's been there since Day 1. I think the lack of pain in other areas is letting this area be more well-known.

I'm off to bed and hope everyone has a good Halloween and rest of the week.
 
OUCH! At six weeks I couldn't have tolerated that long with my leg down, and I didn't have a lot of visible swelling. But I bet that all things considered the benefits of that salon visit made it well worthwhile - such are our tradeoffs!

I think you're at the stage where a lot of us start forgetting pain meds. What I did was keep my acetaminophen on a strict schedule but start tapering the prescription stuff to lower doses until there was only one scheduled - before bedtime - plus smaller "as needed" doses.
 
@mendogal I think I am REALLY paying for having my leg down so much yesterday. It's been bothering me much more today/tonight.:chinstroke:I didn't do much of anything else to explain why today's swelling and pain both have been a lot worse. I tried to be careful/diligent today with the tylenol, but I couldn't tell I'd taken it most of the day and had to take an oxycodone after supper.
 
Note to Self: Don't sit for so long with your leg down! I am really paying for that 1:45-2:00 hours yesterday. Plus, I moved a lot from the salon chair to the sink, to the drier, back to the salon chair, to the curb for my ride, in/out of my mother-in-law's car 4X, then sitting at the neighbor's for 2 hours in the chilly weather for trick-or-treaters (though my foot WAS propped up for that). It was a lot of little movements, but I think those added up to PAIN and more swelling today. This has been the most painful day in almost a week, and I can only attribute it to yesterday's outing and sitting so long without the knee being propped up.

Tomorrow evening is another family gathering with good food/dessert and seeing family that we haven't seen in 6-7 years.....but it's also the night of the DOGS!!! The HUGE 150 lb dog in particular. My niece won't be there unfortunately, and she's best at dealing with the dogs, but my husband will be on guard like a sentry. Luckily, my son can get off work early enough to come too, and he'll be a big help. I think it will be okay.

Another odd thing today---I felt absolutely awful again, completely separate from the knee pain. I keep wondering if my decreased (and inconsistent) narcotic intake is the reason why.....like could these aches/soreness maybe be withdrawal symptoms? There's simply no way to explain it otherwise. We've cooled down here in eastern Missouri finally (the central USA for those outside the US), and I also wonder if maybe I got cold last night and woke up stiff. It's tough to keep the house at a comfortable temperature and not have everyone playing musical blankets!! :zzz:Sitting outside in the cool air might have made my body ache too. We'll see what tomorrow brings.
 
Last edited:
Aches and pains will put you out of sorts yet I think that absent other symptoms it's less likely to be withdrawal per se; it's more likely to be increased perception of pain due to reduced, fluctuating blood levels of pain med.

Some of us definitely suffer physically as well as emotionally during seasonal transitions and especially into autumn with it's shorter daylight and the chill.
 
Feel free to skip this if you only want to read about knees....
I forgot to mention the best part of my week---my son's college tour last Monday. He's "all in" on this college now, moving it to the top of his list. It's only 3 hours from home, unlike the OTHER top choice that is 6 hours away. It's also in-state, which would make life much easier regarding medical providers. He still has to tour the other one on Nov. 11, but we think the drive will show him it's not nearly as appealing. He has a lot of medical issues, plus his last set of grandparents are older, and he's super close to his Nana because he's the baby of the grandkids. We think all of this is swaying him to go someplace he could easily come home on a weekend if he decides to, plus we can easily go see him too. My brother lives in the same city, and it's where we were born, plus lived a very small part of our childhood. I have loads of extended family there, which would help tremendously if he had a health crisis. We're afraid to get our hopes up!! We'll know a lot more after we get his opinion on the 6 hour drive out to the other college (Nov 10), and the return drive home Nov 11. This momma is trying to stay patient!!! :whistle:
 
@mendogal That makes complete sense. There is definitely less of all 3 (tylenol, tramadol, and oxy) in my system, so that's a lot of change in just a week. I wonder too if my body is just complaining about being out of alignment in so many ways. I slept longer last night, and laying on my back that long always makes my lower back hurt. I'm usually a side-sleeper, but that's been making my shoulders hurt, when I can actually manage to get comfortable that way. That massage and chiropractic adjustment is looking more appealing by the day. I tend to be a very achy person anyway since the psoriatic arthritis diagnosis 6 yrs ago, and there's no way I've been up for my usual joint management (stretching/exercise) these last 6 weeks.
 
Oh my yes, hands on bodywork at your earliest convenience!!!
And hopefully you'll be able to add in some stretching soon.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom