Guest viewing is limited

Left TKR on 17 July

Status
Not open for further replies.
:flwrysmile:Good morning all from dull & misty Dublin - hoping the sun will peep out in the afternoon.
It's Saturday morning about 10 am and countdown to hospital admission on Wed 16th for surgery on the 17th, so the plan is to start to pack my hospital bag, organise a few things around the house and for when I return from rehab. The plan at the moment is hospital 16-22 July go directly to rehab 22 July to 3/4 August. So, will be out of the house for almost 3 weeks.
DH is very capable and no problem cooking for himself,hoovering/vacuuming and general housekeeping stuff and actually loves ironing - finds it very relaxing he puts on classical music & plugs in the iron and away he goes, says it is bliss !
Sometimes when I read the posts here I get mixed emotions, as some recoveries are going very well and then unfortunately for some,their recovery has had many twist and turns and it gets me to wonder how my recovery will be. I do know from reading on BoneSmart, that each of us is different and no two TKRs have the same outcome and more importantly that there is support, warmth and 'guidance from experience' from those on the BoneSmart forum.
I guess you could call what I have this morning a bit of a flutter as the day of surgery approaches and feeling a little scared.
Thanks for listening and it is very good to have a space to express what I am feeling, with group of people who share the experience of TKR/ THR and other orthopaedic procedures.
Really, only those who have the experience can truly understand.
 
We will all be here for you! It is very reassuring to have this support. I really feel finding Bonesmart was a very important part of my good recovery. Just remember each day after surgery brings you closer to a pain free future. I cannot wait for my left tkr in September to be over. I am terrified of surgery and usually have a major panic attack in the way to the hospital. With my first tkr a great sense of calm come over me as I took the advice i read here to trust those involved with my surgery. With over 700,000 people in the U.S. having tkr's yearly the majority never post to let you know their outcome. You are almost there and it is a very exciting journey. Remember the BS mantra and you will do well!
 
:flwrysmile:@tiredwife @bball78 @harleysbud last 'free' Saturday night for awhile, so I am off to the pictures to see Begin Again (Keira Knightley & Mark Ruffalo) with my husband. This time next week will be 2 days post-op and will be spending Saturday icing & elevating ! Will check in tomorrow.
 
Glad you and hubby went out and had fun! You are almost there now!
 
@marmora....3 days left and by this time Thursday, we both should be resting comfortably with our surgeries over! :) :spin:


@harleysbud Best of luck with your surgery on Friday! I did not have a MRI with this knee, but I did before my other RTKR in May of 2013.

Keep positive thoughts, follow doctor's orders, rest, ice, elevate, and take your pain meds! We'll be on the "other-side" very soon! :yay:

Thanks to everyone for all the great advice! Awesome site!!
 
:shrug: @bball78 @harleysbud Have just packed & re packed case for hospital. Usually, at this time of year the packing is for our summer holiday. Yes, my knee has been almost pain free since Saturday, actually the best it's been in along while. But, the odd twinge and sharp pain let me know that it is still there.
bball78 are you feeling like you are in suspended animation and not really connecting with the day, and that time seems to be dragging until Thursday and harleysbud are you feeling the same ? I have re-organised my kitchen cupboards, sorted out old clothes for a charity shop, finished a book on my kindle, had 3 walks today, a one hour Skype chat with an old friend who lives in the States and it is still only 9:30 p.m.
 
:bored:I am trying to keep busy so time goes faster! I have cleaned my house, finished my classroom, filled the freezer, the only thing left is to finish some lawn work then pack. I have things I can still do for school, but my mind is just not there anymore:sorry:....LOL........hopefully everyone has a great night rest tonight and tomorrow. I have my hospital pre-op on Wednesday morning, surgery around 9:30 Thursday (will need to be at the hospital at 7:30, sure that won't be a problem), hoping to be home Saturday (was for my first knee) but if I have to stay until Sunday that's okay too.
Should get out of the recliner and go for a walk......:walking: Have a great night everyone!
 
Wont be able to wish you luck on thursday, leaving the phone,ipad at home.
So wishing you the best today.

Almost wish I had more time.
Flat out finishing things. At work, at home, etc etc.
In hosp tomorrow morning, surgery tomorrow afternoon.
Will relax with wife tonight, only need to take minimal stuff tomorrow, anything else can be brought in over the next few days. I will be asleep, or not wanting to concentrate on too much. Have a book, and an ipod for some music, will just close my eyes and chill out. I hope. Will let reality do the rest. I will be on the hospitals timetable from tomorrow. Have always found you get better help by being calm and nice to everyone, and I want the nurses help.
Everything else can wait. ( for now)
 
are you feeling like you are in suspended animation and not really connecting with the day, and that time seems to be dragging until Thursday and harleysbud are you feeling the same ? I have re-organised my kitchen cupboards, sorted out old clothes for a charity shop, finished a book on my kindle, had 3 walks today, a one hour Skype chat with an old friend who lives in the States and it is still only 9:30 p.m.
Sorry have not been on the forum for a few days. Spending way too much time on my computer getting business organized while I will be gone.

BUT I have cleaned out my closets, made two kinds of soup and filled the freezer etc etc. Gathered in some of the equipment I'll need when I get home. You would think that would bring home the truth of what is happening on Friday. I am a procrastinator so I'm looking forward to the whirlwind stage coming up! It keeps my mind off what is coming.

So yes, I do feel somewhat disconnected with it all. Maybe it's just my way of coping with this..or not coping as the case may be. I tend to either over simplify or over analyze and I'm just trying to get through each day learning a bit more and asking questions. I'm doing some "centering" and visualization techniques and they help calm me.

Tomorrow is my pre-op at 8am followed by the hospital tour. Why I am on this site at 1:30am when I have to be at pre-up at 8am is beyond me!!! But I am a night owl...always have been.

Anything special you all are packing for your hospital stay? I hate those gowns, for me they are very uncomfortable (have only spent one night in childbirth, but obviously those gowns made a nasty impression..scratchy, cold). Have I missed a thread that has all that information or suggestions in it?? I was thinking of a long tshirt that covers all the parts so I can walk to the bathroom hopefully..or do you think that would be impractical? personal items brush, toothbrush/paste, deodorant, iPad/phone and cords (in case employees have to call and of course, to post here when I'm somewhat lucid!), slippers, glasses, lip balm, lotion with no fragrance,
 
@Reebok ...my thoughts will be with you tomorrow and sending positive energy for the days ahead.
 
:flwrysmile:@harleysbud @bball78 we are in countdown and looking forward to the post-op recovery phase. I took early retirement in September 2013 (several of surgeries in 2012/2013 a some orthopaedic and some general). So, had been looking forward to my first work free summer, but the knee had other plansOur happy summer focus occasion was that my middle son got married on 14 June 2014 and although I was on two crutches and with a knee brace on the day, as I had torn my meniscus 5 days before the wedding, that was the highlight of my summer !

The last time I spent so much time getting my 'nest' ready was prior to going into hospital when I had my three sons, it must be the same instinct to do what you can now, as you don't know what you will be able to do afterwards.

For the hospital I have packed: Ipad,Kindle,mobile phone( and cords),slippers, runners/gym shoes, soft supported shoes, several pairs of cotton socks and one pair of fluffy sleep socks, 2 night dresses, 2 pair of PJs, light dressing gown/robe. 2-3 pairs of knee length cotton Capri pants, 2 thin cotton track suit bottoms and 4 cotton short sleeve and one long sleeve tee shirt and a light summer sweater.

The hospital and rehab centre will only allow you wear PJs when going to bed at night, otherwise expected to be dressed in normal clothes during the day.

I will be in the hospital for 6 days and then transferred to rehab centre for 10-14 days, so that's why the amount of clothes. Will also leave selection of clean clothes for my husband to bring in to replace what he will be bringing home for me to have washed.

Personal items: toothpaste & brush, deodorant, hand cream and body lotion, several packs of facial make-up wipes, tissues/Kleenex, satin sleep mask- get them in Macy's when I am in the States, ear plugs, comb/brush, lip balm and small make-up mirror.

We live about a 10 minute drive from home to hospital & rehab centre, so if I need anything else it can be easily brought in by my husband or friends and if I brought things that I don't need, they can also bring those home for me.

Josephine had a check list list that could be downloaded and printed, I have search around the forums to see if I can find that again.

The next few days will fly by and before you know it, we will all be on the other side.
 
Good luck, I will be taking soo much less, but I am a guy!

Dont forget the charger cords for the devices.

See you on the other side. God speed
 
@bball78 @tiredwife @Reebok @harleysbud @Jozilla and anyone else I may have missed.
WiFI very patchy here in hospital, can't seem to get it on my floor on the IPad, but can on my IPhone.
It's the night before and feel that being admitted the day before surgery is actually good to calm the nerves.

Wishing everyone best wishes, to those who are on the recovery side and to those of us yet to have our surgery.

I want to set up in The Recovery Forum and will use the same name - left TKRS on 17 July
I also have another in the pre surgery under Suggestions for pre-op exercises to strengthen hamstring muscle
So, I hope that the two can be merged under my new Recovery Forum.

Visitors just arrived, see you all when I am on the other side.
Cathie in Dublin
 
@marmora and every one else facing surgery today I wish you all the best. I hope you keep us posted about your recoveries. Do not forget - stay ahead of the pain. No one is to pull or push on your leg. Ice and elevate when you can. Cathie you will do fine - you are well prepared.
 
I love the idea of being admitted the night before. It seems like a much calmer approach. Good luck - my thoughts and prayers are with you!
 
:chillpill: @Jozilla it is very calming coming in the afternoon before & that my insurance covers that. My husband & son just left, the Anasetheiologist called a little while ago for pre check and to explain the pain medication regime. Will get first pain meds one hour before surgery,also will have spinal anaesthetic and femoral block and she said other meds by mouth when back in room, philosophy in this hospital & surgeon to keep pain away -I like how they think.

I am on the surgery list for 3 pm, so will be a long morning, but 'Hey, I had nothing else planned for the day "!

Going to watch a bit of CSI/LasVegas and hope to get a good sleep.
 
Dear Cathie in Dublin :) Wishing you a calm night and wonderful dreams of a new knee. I'd sing you Tura Lura Lura but you'll just have to imagine that...my grandma used to sing that to me when I was little and I sing it to my grand dot now. I'll try to check in before your surgery tomorrow.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022

Members online

Back
Top Bottom