TKR Left knee replacement 1/22/26

It is very normal to feel like your recovery has stalled. This recovery is like a roller coaster, up one day, down the next. We progress forward, then maybe overdo our activities, which can cause increased swelling and pain, which then makes us feel like we’re going backwards. It’s just the nature of this recovery.
 
You are just a little over 1/12 of the way through this yearlong recovery. At 6 months, the halfway point, you'll be able to do some of the things you want to, but will have to be very careful to not have setbacks. At 6 months I went camping in the mountains and tried one trail. I made it about 100 feet and realize it was too much too soon. I stayed on the blacktop campground roads, the next 3 days. Was I disappointed, yes, but also thankful that I could do that much. Please read many of the recovery threads to see how those in your timeframe are doing. Here you find those who had your surgery in January: https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/welcome-to-the-january-jackpots-2026-knee-recovery-club.81312/

Please don't be discouraged and just realize this is a rollercoaster ride for the next 6-12 months. We expect it to be be a straight line, but it's not!

[Bonesmart.org] Left knee replacement 1/22/26
 
I feel
that my recovery has kind of stalled. Im somewhat concerned about this as I hope nothing is wrong with the implant.
That is very normal. This recovery is full of ups and downs and worrying about something being wrong is very common.
What often happens is that as you start doing more, you can aggravate the recovering tissues and any inflammation can cause pain. It is a delicate balance between gradually returning to normal activity and not overdoing things.
It's a good idea to journal your recovery- so you can keep tabs on how your activity is changing and how it correlates with symptoms. It also makes it easier to see real progress over a longer time frame.
Are you still icing and elevating plenty?
At your stage I was doing gradually increasing walking in the morning, with a cup of coffee out in a cafe as a morale booster. Then I would spend the afternoon mainly reading in bed resting and icing -interspersed with some gentle pilates based exercises/ stretches. I let the housework go to pot and my husband did the cooking. I have overall had a great recovery and at three years I can hike rocky trails and look after a boisterous 4 year old- but I did very little apart from gentle walking and pilates for the first six to nine months.
 
One of the most important parts of recovery is patience. Joint replacement is very major surgery that impacts your entire body. It takes months to get back to normal. Most people don’t really begin to feel like themselves again until about the 6 month out from surgery. You will gradually be able to add activity and exercise, but it’s important to give your body some grace and allow it the time needed to heal properly. It may seem like you are “stalled,” but in reality there is still a lot going on inside as part of the healing and strengthening process. If you try and push that by doing more than your body is ready for, the result will be pain and/or swelling. Please don’t do this….it slows recovery down.

The chances of something being wrong with your implant are very small, and nothing you’ve written would indicate that’s the case. Try focusing on the things that you CAN do now that you couldn’t in the early weeks after surgery. Also, think about things you are able to do now that are easier or less painful than before surgery. It will be easier mentally for you to stay on the positive and not dwell on what you cannot do yet. It will come. You just need to have the patience to let healing take place.
 
It’s really early days, it’s a marathon and you will be able to look back and notice the positive changes. I’m sure you don’t want to read this but it’s true.
If you look in the resources there’s some very helpful articles about timings here
Keep on, keeping on, there’s lots of support on here
 
:wave:Happy Two Month Anniversary!
It's been almost a month since we've heard from you. How are you doing?
Any encouraging progress you care to share with us? I hope the days are getting easier and you're looking forward to Spring / Summer 2026. Hope to read an update from you soon. :fingersx:
@regchuck1
 
Happy Three Month Anniversary!
I hope you're having a pleasant Spring so far. No pressure, but we'd love to hear how it's going for you next time you're on the forum. We'll be here to cheer you on when you're ready to share progress.
A great rest of the week to you! :) :-) (:
@regchuck1
 
Hi,
Well im now 90 days P.O. and things are doing much better. Little to no pain anymore.
Very stiff upon getting out of bed in the morning but it gets better as I move around. Had some blood work done for my primary dr and apparently im anemic. News to me. Anyone experience this with there blood work?
Surgery tkr 1/22/26
 
Had some blood work done for my primary dr and apparently im anemic.
Iron definicieny is surprisingly common after surgery. In fact, many of us go into surgery undernourished. You can read more about that here.

Has your doctor given you instructions or ordered supplements for you?

Make sure you are getting good nutrition. Protein is especially important for our bodies to recover. Here are some links that you may find helpful:
Nutrition Basics
Dietary Tips for Recovery
 
I’m having lots of muscle pain in my calves and thighs in both legs. I had tkr on 1/22/26. Doing PT as scheduled. Incredibly stiff getting up from a sitting or sleeping position. Spoke to Dr and he says this is all normal. I beginning to wonder if this is my new normal which doesn’t feel real good.
Any thoughts ?
Btw, I am not over doing with PT.
 
It is normal to still have painful areas at 10 weeks post op, especially IF you are overdoing the PT.

Btw, I am not over doing with PT.
How do you know you are not overdoing the PT? Maybe you are. What do you do when you’re there, and at home?

I beginning to wonder if this is my new normal which doesn’t feel real good.
Pain in recovery is temporary. Where you are now is not where you’ll end up.


By the way, I merged your newest thread with your original recovery thread, as we prefer that members in recovery have only one thread.

This benefits you because all your information is in one place, easy to find, and maintains a nice journal for you.

This also benefits our staff, as your information is all in one place, and we often go back through your thread for previous details, so we know what you‘ve been through which helps us advise you better.

So, please keep all your posts in this thread. If you’d like a new title, let us know what you want, and we’ll change it for you.

Many members bookmark their thread in their computer browser, so they can find it when they log on.
How can I find my threads and posts?

Best wishes on your continuing recovery! :flwrysmile:
 
Hi regchuck,
Thanks for the updates!
You're still healing, rebuilding strength and improving mobility at only three months post op. This recovery can take a full year for most, and even longer for some. Your gait changed as your knee deteriorated and it changes once again as your body adjusts to the prosthetic. The altered walking patterns can cause muscle soreness and put extra strain on your calves. Since the pain is in both legs and you are engaging in PT, consider scaling back and see if you notice a difference. I'm not sure how often you're going, but try fewer sessions, allowing yourself more time in between sessions to recover, and monitor how you're feeling. If you haven't already, you may want to mention this issue to your PT and talk over lightening the intensity of the movements you're engaging in while there. Hydration is also important so make sure you keep that in mind.

Keep us posted on your progress. We love updates! :thumb:
@regchuck1
 
My PT is done at home only. Surgeon gives his pts exercises to do as well as him seeing his patients.
I do my pt daily but I took sat and sunday off.
I agree with you to give my body a rest.
My range of motion is now at 126 so im feeling im doing well with this. I did not expect to have a gait difference with a new knee but it makes immense sense. Thanks so much for your input.
 
I’m having lots of muscle pain in my calves and thighs in both legs. I had tkr on 1/22/26.
regchuck1 -- My TKR was done a month after yours.

The muscles in both my legs, from ankles to halfway up and including the calves, started screaming at me when I began wearing my running shoes once the weather turned warm. Before that, I had been wearing hiking shoes which are warmer, give more support, and are not as cushy-squishy under the feet.

When I went back to wearing the hiking shoes, the noticeable pain subsided. I figured my lower legs were working harder to walk around in the runners and weren't yet ready for them. A very long time ago I bought TOL runners that had too much cushion and ended up with the same pain. Lucky I remembered that and did the shoe switch experiment back to the hikers, and it worked. Perhaps a sturdier shoe might help with your lower legs; just an amateur's guess based on my own experience.

This week, I finally made it to my deep tissue massage therapist (she really knows what she is doing), first visit post-op, for a very painful session, which I knew to expect having had THRs in the past and her having to work out the similar problems. My IT bands on both legs were very tight, along with my quads in both legs, nine weeks post-op. Also my calves and lower front muscles above the ankles.

The massage release work was brutally painful, and my past experience with THR is that it pays off in a few days. I can't say if this is what is going on in your case, but just tossing it out there as a possibility. Finding a good massage therapist can be impossible, too, and then there is the expense.

Yesterday at PT, I had the therapist do high intensity laser therapy on the recently released IT bands and quads, as well. They are very sore to the touch because that tightness has been released at massage, and now they have a new recovery. My insurance won't pay for the HILT, but if it helps the ITs and quads, it is well worth my out-of-pocket cost. The HILT accelerated my knee's recovery when we started doing it on the operated knee some 6 weeks post-op.

HTH
 
Thanks so much. It just so happens I started my massages a few weeks ago.Ive had 3 so far as I just was not up.to anyone working.on me until recently. I so.appreciate you advise.
Your shoe advise is something I will look into.
R
 
It is important to replace "frequently worn shoes" not your entire shoe wardrobe, with a new comfortable, supportive pair of shoes once you are post op. Possibly you have.

Regarding gait once again, pre-op we can adopt different ways of walking to avoid pain, often limping, or shifting our weight unevenly and our shoes will adopt that pattern, which will not serve you well post op. You don't want that old pattern to throw off your alignment placing stress on your knees, hips and lower back. If we continue to wear pre-surgery shoes afterward, you may be tilting your foot inward or outward changing how your calf muscles fire with each step you take, which in turn can cause tightness and burning in both of your legs.

Hope you enjoy those relaxing massages!
@regchuck1
 
I think what @Layla said above is so important.

For the last 2/3 years I was having pretty severe lower right sided only back pain, it did not even occur to me that my arthritic left knee might be causing this. I had been trying to ignore the increasing pain, life limiting issues of my knee so didn’t connect the 2 issues and had been seeing a chiropractor who said my spine was out of balance etc and it did help having monthly sessions either him after each adjustment but did not completely stop the pain, just lessened it.
Fast forward to my TKR and it was only a couple of weeks after that I suddenly realized that I was not suffering with the right sided lower back pain as before, ding! I realized that it could have been the way I was walking favoring that knee without realizing. I still have some discomfort if I or lay awkwardly but it is so so much better! Obviously I am not doing everything I was before surgery yet so time will tell but .

I also bought 2 new pairs of slip on sneakers before my surgery as I wanted to make my life easier and had read about not going back to older possibly worn shoes and have to say the both feel amazing and have been so easy to get on and off especially in the early days when I was more incapacitated.

Good luck with your ongoing recovery!
 
Happy Four Month Anniversary!
We haven't heard from you in awhile. Wondering how you're doing as you hit this milestone? I hope you're pleased with your progress and having a nice Spring so far. :thumb:
Leave an update next time you're around, we'd love to hear from you.
Have a great holiday weekend!
@regchuck1
 
Had TKR left knee Jan 22nd, 2026= 18 weeks ago if I’m counting correctly. My concern is my body is very stiff and achy when I stand and start moving. Hips are very sore! On top of pt. daily. See Dr June 5 th. Knee is still pretty sore and not taking any meds. Not feeling that meds are necessary at this stage.Should I be concerned????? Doing shopping , driving etc. I guess I’m feeling I should be much
further along. Any thoughts are welcome.
Regchuck1
 

Members online

Back
Top Bottom