THR Left hip, going, going, gone...

shiv01

junior member
Joined
Sep 2, 2015
Messages
83
Age
57
Location
Taipei
Gender
Female
Country
Taiwan, Province Of China Taiwan, Province Of China
Life has been a bit hectic the past few months. Had my right hip done almost exactly 6 years ago and now it's (past) time for the left. Op is tomorrow in Taipei Medical University Hospital. About to head there shortly to be admitted. In major avoidance mode... don't want to think about it, or about all that could go wrong, or I will get anxious. thank goodness for the internet .
 
Wow!! Good luck, @shiv01! :) :-) (:

You will be fine. It's definitely nerve wracking right before the procedure.

Let us know whether you are on the other side!
 
thanks @Schaargi. Was a bit woozy yesterday not surprisingly. and they're giving me lots of meds so not in any pain. rehab therapist passed by twice today and I'm hobbling about on a walker. hoping for crutches tomorrow as walker is annoying! I

I guess an admin should move my post to the post op section..(thanks in advance!)
 
Welcome to recovery!

I will leave you our Recovery Guidelines. Each article is short but very informative. Following these guidelines will help you have a less painful recovery.

Just keep in mind all people are different, as are the approaches to this recovery and rehab. The key is, “Find what works for you.“ Your doctors, PTs and BoneSmart are available to help, but you are the final judge as to the recovery approach you choose.

Hip Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary

2. Control discomfort:
rest
elevate
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)

3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.

4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these
BoneSmart philosophy for sensible post op therapy

5. Here is a week-by-week guide
Activity progression for THRs

6. Access to these pages on the website
Oral And Intravenous Pain Medications
Wound Closure

Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery

Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask the at each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.
 
@shiv01

I moved your thread to the Recovery forum, Best wishes! :flwrysmile:
 
thanks @Jockette. It's going to be a struggle getting my boss to realise I can't come back to my office job before 8 weeks. he was saying before I left that 6 should be enough. that's going to be a challenge!

also, I accidentally pulled out the drain from the wound this evening so they had to remove it completely and dress the wound again so I get to share a photo... if I could figure out how...
 
Thanks, @Jacey. I'll go to the browser then. I don't have these options in the app
 
Zipline!
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] Left hip, going, going, gone...
    IMG_20211208_230216.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 152
@shiv01 you have a Zipline! I don't think I've seen one of those before.. or if I did, I've forgotten.. hahaha very cool...
 
@CricketHip closest I'm ever likely to get to a zipline. I'd never heard of it before. It looks very cool.

Yes, they had to take the drain out last night after I accidentally disconnected it so the on-call doc took a pic while he was redoing the dressing.

It looks so neat and tidy. I wish the muscles in my thigh were as cooperative!
 
I chickened out of going home today so tomorrow it will be. Not sure if it's just the calm in here but I keep dozing off...woke up earlier with drool all down my chin

I have been pottering around on crutches today and doing my leg strengthening exercises. The physio came by in the morning and made me do some stairs. Going up not too bad. Coming back down trickier...

Also, I chose to have the normal Chinese menu so every meal has had rice, green leafy veg and at least 2 proteins (chicken, pork, tofu). I haven't seen sugar or "bad" carbs in a week! I'm hoping I've lost a kg or 2 in the process...even if it doesn't stick
 
You sound to be doing well...
and that you are getting good care.
All the best today as you prepare to go home tomorrow.:) :-) (:
 
Before the op, I was given an injection. doc said it was a slow release painkiller. Before leaving hospital today I asked what it was. Apparently something opioid. Well I guess that explains why I am sleeping so much! However, I'm a bit nervous as to how I'll feel when it wears off... so far almost no pain, which I'm happy but suspicious about!
 
You sound to be doing well...
and that you are getting good care.
All the best today as you prepare to go home tomorrow.:) :-) (:
thanks @Mojo333 it all has gone well so far. put my Fitbit on as soon as I got back & it says I've done 300m or 700 steps. excluding the hospital this morning.
 
I am not sure if your surgeon told you it was “something opioid” but if he didn’t confirm what it was exactly, it may have been opioid free. They often use a Non Opioid Analgesic Pain Medication injected into the site before closing. This delivers pain control for the first 72 hours, slowing waning. My surgeon used Exparel and between frequent icing and other meds I was on initially, I really didn’t notice a difference in pain levels after the first 72 hours, so that may be the case for you also. Hold that thought and cross your fingers.:fingersx:
I hope you have a peaceful Saturday! :)
@shiv01
 
@Layla I'm currently annotating my 5-page hospital bill in Chinese with google translate's version of English so that my European insurance will pay out. (Yep, really!)

Anyway, I got to the injection & it's definitely opioid - this is is: https://g.co/kgs/f1Zob9

It's new so let's see how **** I feel after it wears off. But I can tell you it's definitely doing its job in the meantime!
 
My treadmill with a view requires me to take the lift to the top (20th) floor and then climb 30 stairs.

I had a go today while I'm still heavily medicated and feeling no pain.
[Bonesmart.org] Left hip, going, going, gone... [Bonesmart.org] Left hip, going, going, gone...
 
I had a go today while I'm still heavily medicated and feeling no pain.
Please don't try this again. Excess activity while medicating only builds up - you will pay for it later. All you should be doing at this stage is resting, icing and elevating. Plenty of time for climbing all those stairs when that hip is ready.
 
@Jaycey thanks for the advice. Actually I'm pleasantly surprised this time around by the lack of pain & lack of trauma around the wound.

I have been training with trainers and physios for 2 years because of chronic weakness in my left thigh caused by repeated ankle issues that meant non-weight-bearing for long periods. I think I'm in better (less bad?) physical condition now than when I had the other hip done six years ago.

Stairs seem to be no problem (slowly) & I prefer the treadmill to walking in the street because a) can do without crutches & b) can set a pace that is slower than I would use in the street.

I just went for a short walk in the street now - 300m, sit on a bench for 10m & return & it was much more tiring!

And now an icepack.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom