THR Laura's THR - Tight Knee on Op Side

Yes, I mean, I had no idea, but after the pain moved down my leg, it was pretty clear what it was. The nerves take very specific routes!

My surgery was this past Tuesday. It's out patient, which totally shocked me. They had me up on my feet in a few hours, and then sent home! The incision is apparently only like two inches at most (it's still bandaged). So for two weeks I can't bend, lift or twist. My fear of reherniation is enough for me to comply. But I have to walk. (Like after the THR)
Speaking of which, the hip is a year old. I had to postpone my 1 yr checkup till March when I'm more mobile. But I may need to postpone again depending on what my neuro says, since I know the hip checkup will require him to move my leg around.

I'm still somewhat uncomfortable, but luckily sleeping hasn't been an issue. Pillow between my legs if I'm on my side and under my knees if I'm on my back. I just have to use very specific moves to lie down and get back up.
 
Happy One Year Anniversary, Law!
I am sorry you're going through another recovery. I wish you comfort and all the best.
Please keep us posted. :friends:
@Law
 
  • Like
Reactions: Law
It's such a drag. I was still dealing with the knee enthesopathy but the hip is great! And then this...which also hinders my ongoing job search...good times here, lol.
 
Knee Enthesopathy is worse than ever. I go to back surgery follow up on Monday, it's been 6 weeks, so it should be time for pt. I'm going to emphasize how bad the knee is and I would think we will work on that since it is the right leg which is the leg affected by the nerve compression in the first place.
And I did find out I have bursitis on the new hip side but everything in that area is a bit numb still from the hip replacement which I've been told is sometimes the case and I think the back has probably muddied those waters as well. So I need to get through this PT Hopefully get the leg back sort of to where it was before all of this and I guess we'll see how everything shakes out!
 
Hi Laura,
I hope your follow up appointment went well today. I wish you comfort and good luck with PT. I am sorry you're struggling as you are. :console2: Take care!
@Law
 
Year and a half later: hip is great. I often forget it's fake.

Knee enthesopathy persists. Was improving till back problems started in Jan in when I had to stop everything and now it's awful. SO stiff.

Developed sacroiliitis (didn't even know what that was) a few weeks ago, going for MRI to confirm that diagnosis today. Also going to find out about a shot for my knee, but not sure that will help.
 
Hi Law, its good to hear from you and read your hip is great and you even forget about it!
Sorry you're dealing with other issues though. Good luck with the MRI today and the decision on whether an injection will bring relief from knee pain. :fingersx:
Have a great Thursday and weekend!
@Law
 
  • Like
Reactions: Law
What I didn't realize was that it should have been an MRI for the pelvis not lumbar, but the lumbar did show I still have a herniation though they think it was there before and somewhat chronic and as long as I don't have similar symptoms to leave it alone. He didn't see any fluid around sacral joints though.
Still, I want this all behind me literally and figuratively. The knee stiffness remains and now I need to decide if I should get a shot at the knee and see if that helps or one in the right sacral joint to help there. Still weighing my options.
 
Best Wishes! I hope whatever you decide, you find relief.
@Law
 
  • Like
Reactions: Law
Welp, I got new X-rays and mri on right knee. Seems I have some patellar bone spurs but the continuing tightness seems to be caused by what they now say is tendinosis of the quad at the knee. So a shot won't necessarily help that because it's not inflammation, apparently that ship sailed. And I'm already doing the eccentric exercises that are supposed to help this.
I go back to the doctor this week talk about the x-rays and the MRI and see what options I have. I'm honestly ready to just jump off a bridge at this point.
 
I'm so sorry this is getting you down. I think a lot of us can relate to a period of time when it all feels a little too much when dealing with pain and mobility issues. I felt pretty down when I was told that a lot of my issues wouldn't be resolved following surgery. What helped me was to shrink my perspective and expectations. It was hard to let go of a desire to be where I wasn't but it did help. I just tried to focus on the day at hand. Bizarrely, I actually started to see improvement I wasn't expecting. Maybe it was simply that I began to appreciate tiny improvements rather than looking into a future full of potential difficulties. I really hope you will hear some positive news at your next appointment. Hopefully a few more options on the table.
 
  • Friendly
Reactions: Law
Oh no, no...no jumping, we'd miss you! :wink:
Kidding aside, I'm so sorry your dealing with this, law. I wish comfort and best of luck with your appointment this week, let us know how it goes.
@Law
 
  • Friendly
Reactions: Law
Thanks so much.
Well I'm going to try some more PT now that we have a more specific diagnosis on the knee itself. Unfortunately because I had the back surgery earlier this year I only have about 7 sessions left, so I'm somewhat loathe to use them all up. So I'm going to do a few and hopefully get a program I can just take home with me. I'm gonna see if that helps any with the stiffness (I don't really have that much pain) and if not, a shot may help me but it's not really a guarantee since at this point it's tendinosis not tendinitis.
 
I glad to hear the pain is minimal. I do hope the sessions bring some relief with time.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Law
Hello and Happy Friday!
Thankfully the pain is manageable. I'm sure the PT will give you some exercises to do at home and hopefully it brings relief from the tendinosis. :fingersx: Best wishes for a nice weekend, Law.
@Law
 
  • Like
Reactions: Law
So, no, pt didn't help much. I'm still doing my spinal exercises twice a day and have added in other exercises to try to work on the quad. But I'm going to see a knee specialist as soon as I can get in, there may perhaps be an arthroscopic procedure they can do to clean out The scar tissue that is in there though I have no idea how it got there in the first place.
My hip itself is great, but this whole knee thing started during recovery and I just wish I knew at the time if there was something I should have done differently but I guess I never will.
This is also frustrating for me because I've always been athletic and active and never really had that many issues beyond something directly related to a sport or activity, and I haven't felt physically 100% in probably 2 1/2 years now and it's really hard. I guess I'm grateful because the hip replacement was fine and the hip itself seems fine but Everything after that has really been a drag.
 
I'm so sorry, Law. It is unfortunate that you're dealing with all of this especially now that your hip is good. I do hope you find answers and relief so you are able to really enjoy the benefits of your THR.
Wishing you a nice holiday weekend. A bbq is sounding kind of good to me today...last hurrah of Summer.
Take care and thanks for stopping by!
@Law
 
Doing steroid pac now in the hopes it reduces inflammation in my knee. Still doing some exercises and went back to barre, Pilates and tap. Nothing too crazy. But no real improvement either.
 
It doesn't seem to have helped my knee any. But it seems to helped the sacroiliitis!
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom