Guest viewing is limited

TKR Ladyfleur's Roller Coaster Recover

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: 4 weeks post op-help

I dont think i was prepared well enough pre op, if only i had known this web site existed then.

I was under the impression that i should be pushing myself day after day and reducing my pain meds, only to find my knee so stiff painful and swollen and with that comes the disappointment and worry that something was sadly wrong.

Many of us were in the same boat, so to speak on both issues. I didn't realize the trauma that my body would experience, and I couldn't understand why it took so long for me to recovery.

I also had to quickly learn that it is "NO PAIN, MORE GAIN" rather than, "no pain, no gain." I was luck in that regard, as my out-patient PT knew when I could work hard and when I should back off and ice/elevate/rest. Many times she had me reign myself in, and then I discovered the crucial secret---it is not about working harder, but working smarter---listening to you knee and your body and making the proper adjustments.

We all want to reclaim our normal lifestyle and thik that the harder we work, the sooner we will get it back. This is not the case; the gentler and the smarter we are, the happier our knee will be and the easier recovery may be, too.

Stay o those pain meds and take them because you need them. Stay on top of the pain and do not look at taking the pain meds as a sign of weakness.
 
Re: Feeling Calmer

Bonnie, how long after your surgery were you able to begin using the TENS unit? I bought a TENS unit a year ago for my painful knee, but now that I have had the TKR (2 and a half weeks ago) and I am wondering if my TENS unit would be helpful now, and if it would be ok to use it. I have not asked my doctor. I did ask him about acupuncture (he said ok) and about using the sauna (ok also). How soon after your surgery did you start using it? thanks.
 
Re: 4 weeks post op-help

Welcome to Bonesmart Ladyfleur, My new knee is almost 5 months old and it improves every day, but even now some days after work or walking a fair bit I still ice it for swelling and heat but I have very minimal pain in it now. I can swim and walk and do most things that I couldn't before, so hang in there and look forward to the future, i did very little PT at all other than gentle stretches for the first 8 weeks. It is definitely a rollercoaster with ups and downs and to begin with I was worrying all the time about flexion and extension but I decided to give my knee a couple of months rest after what it had been through, apart from the gentle excercises (which you will find in the forum library) it pays off in the long run as my extension and flexion has improved just with rest, ice and gentle stretching, the main thing that causes pain is the swelling and doing too much, we all try to do too much at first but please please just kick back, elevate (toes above nose) and ice ice ice, read a book, watch a movie and give your knee its well deserved rest at this early stage and as Roy, who is one of the moderators on here and hilarious too, says get someone to peel you some grapes. Good Luck and you will get there.


Linda
 
Re: 4 weeks post op-help

Its me again 5 weeks today post op . I have been taking all the advice offered and have truly felt the benefit of it.
New question today. I have been experiencing less pain and swelling after doing the 'bone smart mantra' of icing elevation rest, and have been able to comply with my PT. but today during walking my knee'gave way on me' several times, and I felt if it wasnt for the support of my crutches I may well have stumbled. has anyone else experienced this. I am trying not to become too stressed again but i felt as if i were doing well, slow but sure before this. I dont see my OS for another 10 days.
 
Re: 4 weeks post op-help

I had that 'give way ' feeling. It didn't actually give way so that i fell , just a 'wobble' so that I worried I might fall. As my quads got stronger it has almost all disappeared just an occasional blip going down an incline. I don't think you need to worry . This too will pass.
 
Re: 4 weeks post op-help

Yes, Nancy is absolutely right---just weak muscles---not your new knee which, by the way, is one tough cookie.

As you walk more, and do gentle exercises, the quads and hamstrings will strengthen---and you might need some balance exercises too.
 
Re: 4 weeks post op-help

While it is very, very frightening---the knee giving out---is normal for many people; as said previously, your muscles are still rather weak and lack stamina---long-term strength---and will give out occasionally.

Eventually, though, as you slowly get around more and develop muscle strength and stamina---which can take some time---this issue will go away.
 
Re: 4 weeks post op-help

ladyfleur, would you be a dear and put your surgery date in your signature like the rest of us do?
You can find the instructions here How to create a signature.
That also applies to anyone else who is reading this.
Thank you.
 
Re: 4 weeks post op-help

Ladyfluer,
What you describe seems normal, slight balance break, and is most likely caused by weak muscles as has been mentioned. My PT added some balancing exercise on a "wobble board" after several months to increase muscle control. It started out with me trying to stand on a board that had like a half basketball shape under it and trying to balance between the walking bars. It got to be a bit of a game later as he would toss a ball at me to try and get me off balance. it really helped in rebuilding the muscle strength and tone..
 
10 weeks on and so depressed

This is a new thread for me because I havent been on for a few weeks, because of my roller coaster recovery so far. I had such great help from this website within the 1st few weeks(dont know how I would had coped without it) and now I hope you can help me again.
I am now 10 weeks post surgery and I am mostly pain free, but am experiencing lots of tightness and stiffness around the knee, but I still cant walk well and not without my crutches, because my new knee gives way on me causing me to stumble and have once, almost fallen right over. This is becoming scary because I am doing all the quads strenghthening exercises as well as hydrotherapy. The bend in my knee is good and so is the straightening but I never know when it is going to let me down. After an episode of giving way, I then get pain and swelling so I ice and elevate.
Has anyone else experienced this "giving way" syndrome and if so please how do i get it better. I thought I would have been walking well by now because that was the reason i so wanted it done.
It has been suggested that because i lost 5 stone in readiness for my TKR, i not only lost the dreaded fat but also muscle mass and I will have to work hard to streghthen the now weakened muscles !Help Please I am so depressed with it all !:cry4:
 
Re: 10 weeks on and so depressed

I had a wobble that would feel like it gave way. I never actually fell and it happened out the blue when I least expected it. It gradually got less and less and has mostly gone. Hang in there it should pass. I still have pain especially in the night and that concerns me. The tightness is there but doesn't bother me too much as I expect it to go eventually.
 
Re: 10 weeks on and so depressed

Lady-

I am 12 weeks for the right and 11 weeks for the left. Like Nancy, I have found that my balance is still lacking and my left knee will occasionally wobble to the point that it has scared me a few times but not enough to concern me. I still have stiffness and tightness in both knees. I had PT yesterday so today is really tight and stiff but I ice and try to move as much as possible without over doing. As soon as I sit down for more than a few minutes my knees will stiffen up in whatever position I have them in. I think it's par for the course and will get better as the swelling decreases. You're 10 weeks, it's going to take time, probably more time than either of us likes.

If you feel the wobble is unreasonable talk to your OS. I still use a cane outside of the house because I do not trust my balance.
 
Re: 10 weeks on and so depressed

This is time for one of those "give it time" speeches from a TKRer with some longer time under the belt. Keep in mind you have lost one if not both of the ligaments that are mostly responsible for the knee's stability. And the remaining ones along with the muscles and tendons have to adjust to that loss, all the trama and the new implant.

Give it time. Keep up the exercises. Soon you will be walking and not even notice the instability has diminished or dissappeared completly. Perk up, you'll get there.:friends:
 
Re: 10 weeks on and so depressed

LF-
You are still in the delicate first 3 weeks in my opinion, and need to be easy on yourself.
As for the wobbling- have you been to your OS for a follow up? I went for my post-op check up yesterday and he did a wobble test and we discussed ligaments and why I had no wobble (good collateral ligaments).
Maybe the OS needs to have a look?
Good luck!
 
Re: 10 weeks on and so depressed

All I can say is be kind to yourself.
I'm almost 16 months out from my LTKR and almost 8 months from my RTKR
the changes between 8 weeks and 16 weeks were huge! the change then to 6 months was amazing~! and I have to say now 8 months out on my RTKR I'm really close to 100% I'm walking between 2 and 4 miles every day and feel just awesome. I keep reminding myself that it is a solid year for recovery! and nothing can be rushed.
hang in there, it WILL GET BETTER!!! :thumb:
 
@ladyfleur: I have merged this thread with your previous recovery thread and retitled it. We like to keep each member's stoy a single thread to make it easier for us to folow your story. If you decide you don't like the title, just post what you'd like it to be and we'll get it changed.

As far as your knee goes, I agree that working on your muscle strengthening wll help you Just be careful for now and try and be patient as your healing continues.
 
Well here i am again and have been doing much better these last couple of weeks or so i thought. I have been walking with just 1 crutch and none around the house, pain was minimal i am still doing my PT as my knee allows, but it still lets me down occasionally and this is worrying me I dont read anywhere of others experiencing this. I am beginning to wonder if I have any ligament damage. I am 4 months post op now and although i am trying to be patient i am worried about this 'letting me down syndrome' any ideas please?
 
I am sorry to post a new thread but I am being denied replies on my original thread.
I am now 6 months post op RTKR and have had a roller coaster recovery, but i month ago i really felt as if i had reached my goal. i had bearable pain , little stiffness and 'rubber band 'syndrome, was walking well up to 3 miles per day(not all in one go) with no arthritic pain and feeling so pleased with myself when suddenly my knee gave way again(it had been doing this since surgery but had been much less).
I was devastated i cannot find anywhere where patients have experienced this continually so please any of you experiencing or have experienced it during your recovery.
I was discharged by my OS after 6 weeks with no further aftercare apart from my PT who has
been my rock throughout this and she still thinks it is the quads that need streghthening but I am doing my exercises and cannot understand why this is happening still.
I am worrying that this really cant be part of normal recovery, and that something is wrong .
Please help .
 
ladyfleur,
I am sorry I cannot be of any help since I did not have this problem but let me tag Josephine; for you so she will see your question and get back to you when she can.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom