THR Lablawrence (Lisa) Joins The Hippies

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yup that first shower. Great feeling. Maybe take it a little slow till that muscle stops being cranky. A week or two now won't matter in the long scheme of things. Remember we're in this for the long haul. Wishing you an uneventful recovery. :)
 
I got given a few extra, different exercises every week after the first one, Lisa @lablawrence . Some days I felt frustrated that the exercises were so easy; other times they felt trickier; once or twice I couldn't even do a couple of them at first... :)
 
Patience, and take it slow ... it may seem like you are doing "nothing" with some of the PT exercises, but all those teeny tiny movements will really make a difference in the long run. Since you've already had an encounter with unexpected stabbing pain after one "wrong" move, you certainly don't want a repeat of that! It's a journey, not an event.
 
@PA Gal, you are right. slow and steady.

This question may need to go to Josephine, but I would appreciate anyone who has had a similar experience. I am on Percocet for pain. I now take one tablet (5-325) every 4 hours. I used to take 2, but it just made me too dizzy and "out of it." The issue is my vision. I am near sited, but my vision has now reversed. I see better now long distance without my glasses, but I cannot see anything up close. I have not had to wear any reading glasses until now. I hope this is temporary. Should I consult my doctor? Thank you.
 
Curious. MY vision has been odd since my op too, Lisa @lablawrence . I thought I just needed new glasses! It's probably just a coincidence, but I'll keep an eye (excuse the pun!) on any responses you get. Oh and I have been off all meds except paracetamol/tylenol for a week now, so it can't be that.
 
I looked up percocet side effects but didn't see anything about vision being affected. If you have reached age 53 without needing reading glasses, you are very lucky so I wonder if the timing is just a coincidence? The scopalamine patch that I was given for nausea pre-surgery made my (already bad) vision very blurry but none of the pain meds have affected my eyesight.
 
You could call the pharamacist if you are a little reluctant to "bother" your physician ... If you are on more than one med, your pharamacist should have all that info at their fingertips re: drug interactions.
 
Thank you. I really do feel it's related to the medications. @PA Gal that's a great idea. I will check with the pharmacist.
 
@lablawrence, hello and congratulations on your successful surgery!

I did a quick search online regarding your vision issues and noticed that The Mayo Clinic site has a bit of information on oxycodone, and does list “changes in vision” as a rare side effect of this drug: https://www.mayoclinic.org/drugs-supplements/oxycodone-oral-route/side-effects/drg-20074193 (toward the bottom of the page under side effects that do not need medical attention).

As per the advice from the Mayo Clinic folks, I would give your doctor a call and mention that you are having these issues. It might be best to have a different pain medication prescribed.

Good luck!
 
@lablawrence, I've been reading of your trials since coming home. Yikes! That would have scared me to death, too! You think you're doing the lifting leg band correctly, then, this! I'm trying to memorize the fact that everyone keeps emphasizing here -- using muscles and tendons that have either been injured or not used in quite a while is going to produce some traveling pains! Just never thought about it but it makes sense. Even now, waiting for my surgery date, I notice more and more little pains in my "good" leg and even in my "not so good" leg around the knee and down the thigh. Mostly mine has been in the inner thigh/groin area but it's showing out now that I've got "the date"! Hope you level off soon, with pain, eyes, and all!
 
It has been 2 weeks since my THR. The home health nurse removed my 19 staples this afternoon. I would say about I/3 of the staples hurt coming out. She took my blood for the Coumadin level for the last time. I can stop taking it on Wednesday, and then I'll be on a 325 mg aspirin once a day for a month.

I'm still taking iron, but I am not taking any prescription pain meds because of the adverse effects on my vision. So far, I have managed the pain with extra strength Tylenol. I plan to visit my eye doctor within the month. I just want to see (pun intended) if my vision goes back to pre-surgery sight.

All in all, I feel very blessed and fortunate to be alternating using my walker and a cain after only two weeks. However, I did have a reality check after having done too much cain walking over the weekend. I have to keep reminding myself how invasive this surgery was and that so much internal healing needs to take place. I had a minor meltdown after a co-worker saw me with my cain and told everyone how quickly I had "healed". I was exhausted and overwhelmed when I got home. I was so worried everyone would expect me to be back to normal once I go back to work. My husband has been so wonderful as a nurse. He even stayed home today for my staple removing.

Thank you all for yor information and support. What an incredible find this site has been. I've told every nurse and physical therapist about it. I'm very surprised they had not heard about it. Sometimes, when I read posts from those who are not experiencing positive results, I feel guilty saying how well I'm doing. I'm just so glad they have people on this site who can help them.

I plan to keep updating so I can keep in touch.
 
@lablawrence, you ARE doing well, but most of the healing is inside, girl!! No one can see that, and to think that you would be ready to return to work after two weeks is nutty. I own a business (rather, IT owns ME most of the time) but I can tell you now, I'm planning to be away for 6-8 weeks. Even if I feel well enough to return sooner, I want to be SURE that I'm physically in good enough shape to return, and then, only on a limited basis for a while.

You have a great hubby and every reason to allow yourself to be the best you can be! Take your time and let your body do its thing!
 
@beachgal, thank you for your support. I'm not going back until August 1, and I may just use my cain to signify the healing process is still in progress ; )
 
Lablawernce- so glad to hear your progress. I remember you posting in the pre-op forum and you e come so far! Keep it up and know that even at five weeks I get tired. Folks will need to be patient with us :)


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®
 
So good to hear from you, @lablawrence! I was thinking about you today and hoping that your silence on the forum did not mean you were experiencing any serious problems. I too am alternating between the walker (when I first get out of bed or recliner, to work stiffness out and get my balance), the cane, and my own two feet (around the house during those really good times of day). People will mistake "continuing recovery" for "completely well," not realizing what all goes into healing, and that some days are really good and some are very tiring and sore. I just smile and say, "Well, I've still got a long way to go," and leave it at that. You can't worry about other people's expectations. You will likely find that once you go back to work, you will actually need the cane, as you will tire out from the additional demands on your body! I'm glad you have off 'til August so you can take your time and recover at your own pace. Take care!
 
Hip #2 is now done. My first was on June 16, 2014, and I had my second THR on Monday, Oct. 6. I do still have a few twinges of pain in my right hip (first replacement) every once in a while. Since it has been less than 4 months of healing, I need to remain patient. My left hip feels good, but my left leg feels really long. Crossing my fingers that will settle out after all the healing. Having gone through this so recently, I am so much more relaxed and aware of my limitations. Good luck to all who are new hippies.
 
I'll be doing my second THR on October 15, first on April 2. I am so hoping for as good physical recovery -- how is do your recoveries compare so far?
 
Hi,
It's been a while since I've been on this site. I had my second THR on October 6 on the left side. Sadly, I am having a great deal of pain in my quad muscle and my inner thigh muscle. No one seems to know what's going on. I need some advice, please. My surgeon did x-ray's to make sure there were no fractures. None. He just said to continue with physical therapy. Unfortunately, I can't do a whole lot because even walking is really painful. My pt has tried massage, e-stem therapy, cold therapy, and just having me not do any exercise at all. Nothing has helped. On my first hip, I had a great recovery. This time, I might have pushed too hard on the pt at first because my quad hurt so much I had to be on crutches. I can now walk small distances, but the pain returns quite quickly. What type of x-ray would show soft tissue issues? Could I have torn a muscle(s), and now it needs to be surgically repaired? I appreciate any advice and help.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022

Members online

Back
Top Bottom