TKR L. TKR on 1/16/2025

DAY 8: Went for my first PT appointment. No exercises, just took some measurements and talked about recovery.
I was at 75 degrees flexion and 6 degrees extension at one week post-op.
My PT is great and said he believes that slow and steady wins the recovery. He said if something hurts don’t do it and take it easy until I’m feeling better.
Walking is going ok, my level of bruising makes it terribly painful. If my bruising wasn’t so bad I swear I’d be scooting around pretty well!
Did anyone else have such painful bruising? I knew the bruising would be bad, but not this bad! I’ve been icing and putting Arnica on several times a day to help. Any other tips for the bruising?
 
Arnica gel is great.

You don't want to use moist heat anywhere near the swollen, affected knee joint this soon after surgery.
 
Where is your bruising the worst? My LTKR was Jan 13 and exactly one week later I developed some painful bruising around my ankle, making it difficult to wear shoes. Also have a bit of bruising on the sides of my knee but not painful. I had pre existing lower extremity lymphedema. During that first week I gained 20lbs of fluid, making my left leg almost 3 times bigger than my right, from my toes to top of thigh, so that may be partially to blame for my painful bruising.
 
My bruising goes from my ankle all the way up to my thigh. I included a picture below.
[Bonesmart.org] L. TKR on 1/16/2025
 
Where is your bruising the worst? My LTKR was Jan 13 and exactly one week later I developed some painful bruising around my ankle, making it difficult to wear shoes. Also have a bit of bruising on the sides of my knee but not painful. I had pre existing lower extremity lymphedema. During that first week I gained 20lbs of fluid, making my left leg almost 3 times bigger than my right, from my toes to top of thigh, so that may be partially to blame for my painful bruising.
I’m so sorry about your lymphedema. That must be so painful! I had massive swelling as well, but luckily it has steadily gone down. My bruising, especially on my calf, is painful and makes it tough to walk.
 
We have had a number of members develop this degree of bruising post op - unfortunate to have the additional pain!
 
We have had a number of members develop this degree of bruising post op - unfortunate to have the additional pain!
I knew I would bruise - but I didn’t think it would be so severe and so dang painful.
 
Walking is going ok, my level of bruising makes it terribly painful. If my bruising wasn’t so bad I swear I’d be scooting around pretty well!
Did anyone else have such painful bruising?
Sorry the bruising is so painful.
I had very dramatic bruising- but thankfully mine was painless. The swelling may make the bruising more painful. Hopefully it will settle soon.
 
We have had a number of members develop this degree of bruising post op - unfortunate to have the additional pain!
I knew I would bruise - but I didn’t think it would be so severe and so dang painful.
It’s amazing. I usually bruise so easily, always have some awful bruise and have no idea how but the only bruise I have are four finger marks on my lower calf. It really amazes me how different everyone’s experience is. Hope it eases for you and your pain management improves.
 
Happy One Month Anniversary!
How are you doing? Hopefully the bruising is fading and you're doing well.
Please let us know, we'd like to read about your progress.
A great week to you!
@Prof_Mama
 
Hi @Layla I am doing okay.
My bruising has cleared almost completely. I have just a very little bit along my tibia remaining. Spots where the bruising was are still a bit tender.
I am still walking with a cane and my ROM is not great. I think I’m at 75 degrees flexion and maybe 5 extension on a good day. I am remaining patient, but it’s still a bit disappointing. I am hoping I haven’t developed fibrosis. This happened to me in the past when I had a major knee surgery in 2018 or so. My swelling overall went down very quickly.
On a positive note, I can tell that the arthritic pain is no longer present, so that’s pretty awesome. Yesterday, I went for a short drive, so there is some small progress being made daily, just not in the ROM department (I know the window of opportunity is a myth, I just thought I would be a be further along than I am currently).
 
Last edited:
Recovery is a journey and as you know, everyone progresses at their own pace. While your ROM may feel discouraging to you, it's important to remember that improvement will still come. Tissue healing can temporarily limit movement, but with more time and patience I'm sure you'll make the gains you're hoping for.:thumb:
Happy Monday!
@Prof_Mama
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom