THR L hip done thread

F9h

Country
United States United States
paulie.jpg

Finished... had surgery on the 28th with a successful spinal by a really good anasthesiologist. Still in hospital-leaving today-not successful on stairs because the knee on the 'good' leg is shot. And their little stairs are textbook, nothing like the lethal tread size and risers on the stairs at home. So I'm skeptical and not comfortable with this.
Last night was just OK but tonight I'm having a bad time with pins and needles shooting down my leg, compounded by restless legs. You can see by my post time.
Getting around pretty well with walker and in & out of bed/ambulating is good but right now I'm climbing the walls.
And wouldn't you know it... now the L knee is starting in...

Last edited:
Welcome to the other side @F9h ! Easy does it! Ask for better pain management if you need it. It's important to get things under control before you leave the hospital.

Let PT know you are concerned about the stairs at home. They should work with you to confirm you can manage higher stairs.

I'll leave your recovery guidelines here for you.

Hip Recovery: The Guidelines
We are all different, as are the approaches to this recovery and rehab. The key is, “Find what works for YOU.“ Your doctor(s), physiotherapist(s) and BoneSmart are here to help. But you have the final decision as to what approach you use.

1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​
3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you​
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​
4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of this BoneSmart philosophy for sensible post op therapy
5. Here is a week-by-week guide for Activity progression for THRs
6. Access these pages on the website

Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery

Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

Thanks for putting the reference here!
Any recommendations for a recliner? The one in the hospital has been a godsend.

There is an article in our library HERE

I loved my recliner ... actually still do.

Heck, I wish I’d known! Had my TRHR yesterday and was wide awake at 3:52! We could have commiserated! My nurse mentioned that among everything else they’re giving you during surgery, you get steroids! If it weren’t for the hip, you I’d have cleaned the bathroom or something. Steroids have that effect on me. In addition to the recliner, have LOTS of pillows around. They are really useful. And finally, congratulations on your new hip!

Thanks.. the other thing is some kind of emotional fallout is happening and I'm choked up and teary-eyed. This is weird.
Gotchya beat-been up since 0100.
I difn't know to prepare with a recliner so that's an emergent situation.

Congrats @F9h on the new hip!

All of what you describe is normal. The insomnia is real. Just try to get in a couple of naps. And stay on schedule w the pain meds.

There’s an article on the post-surgery blues, too. They are real and I remember them well. BTW, You might be able to rent a recliner from a surgical supply store or pick one up cheap at a local Restore. Hang in there!

I went recliner shopping on a walker with my first THR when the one I had didn't work as it was too low. I bought an inexpensive electric from Ashely Furniture that worked well for me.

I ordered risers for under my recliner to raise it 3 inches. Then because it is a rocker my nephew put small wood blocks u Der the front so it wouldn't rock to far forward when I tried to get up... a life saver!

I got a lift assist recliner from Raymor & Flannigan befor my knee replacement. They have a large variety at pretty good prices. It's going to be a huge help for my hip replacement as well.

@F9h welcome to the healing side. :welome: Hopefully you are now home and resting comfortably and feeling a little more confident with your home stairs. I didn't have or use a recliner during my recovery so had to make do. I pretty much camped out on our couch during waking hours with tons of pillows and just about constant ice. Same with bed, tons of pillows and ice.

I had to get transport home and the first aid squad got me into the house with a stair chair and physical therapy is coming here, so I'm under house arrest, as it were. So I can't shop for a recliner-it would have to be sight unseen online with delivery and setup.
Just woke up-day 3.
I'm not comfy here yet. It's like being on a German U-boat while the hospital was spacious and there was loads of room to move around, and the nursing care was exemplary. My wife-a retired RN-has been leagues beyond exemplary in taking care of me and making meals. Pain isn't too bad but without the recliner I'm beyond frustrated. I normally tough it out with pain...
... but with my major psych history physical pain is a cinch compared to emotional. Emotional pain netted me 18 hospital stays since 1971. So even the worst pain with this, now, doesn't bother me that much.

I'm a techie and I had my phone and tablet and the hospital had Samsung TV's so I was able to pair the phone with the TV and stream movies through it-an absolute Godsend. Saved hours of boredom! I was at Evangelical Community Hospital in Lewisburg, Pa. and the care was top notch.

PT and home health is coming today and that'll be a help.

Thank you all for being so kind and supportive!

Last edited:
The world is small at times!

Glad to hear you got good care at Evan/Lewisburg

I was born and raised in Selingrove

I was born and raised in Selingrove
And judging by your handle you must be in NY. Born and raised in NJ.
The PT just left-buncha exercises that aren't on the "good" list here. I'm gonna keep doing what my original PT did who I trust implicitly. I'm sore now.

The PT exercises may be good LATER...I feel like it really isn't the exercises sometimes...but the Timing...
No-one gets a medal for being 1st to do XYZ and healing is happening that doesn't need to be shanghaied.
Trust your gut...
Listen to your body....
It will all wash out in the end.

Now, chill.:ice:
Healing Mojo Coming your way!

A few days in keep up with the movie streaming and icing and ditch the idea of any PT for a while. No need for additional soreness, nothing to be gained by it.
That's my gut feeling. I'm not a test pilot-I'm not out to push the envelope 'till it breaks! Just wanna put it in cruise and keep the wings level.
I might wind up yessing the home PT to death and stick with the exercises from my primary whom I trust. Gently!!

And both the PT and nurse said the stairs are atrocious. If I had the money I'd have them ripped out and rebuilt.

You don't have to be a test pilot, most of us did that for you. I know I pushed the envelope with my first THR. I learned and my second was with a lot less misery yet excellent results. I looked at realistic goals and end results. I have no urge to play sports any more, just want mobility and flexibility to do the things I want to do.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Unique Mike
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom