Guest viewing is limited

THR L hip done thread

I'm running all of this past the OT tomorrow and I'm calling my surgeon's office. I don't like it, boy, am I glad I found you guys!
Spent the day in an overstuffed chair piled high with cushions and pillows. Lots of movies! Watched my fav, Hitchcock's North by Northwest.
For right now I'm moving around with the walker frequently-that feels the best. Slower is faster.
 
Today the OT stopped in and said I'm doing everything right and making faster progress than most. Plus a different PT who goes along with gentle and the same exercises as my primary PT, so I'm pleased. But I twisted by accident and finally had to take the oxy. I was afraid I might have torn something. Sore as hell and more trouble putting weight on it. Happens I guess!
 
There's no harm in sticking with your walker if it feels right. I used mine for I believe it was 3 months, mostly in public, per PT recommendation. She wanted to make sure I was nice and steady before switching to a cane.

Slower is faster is a good way to look at it, you're in this for the long haul. Little missteps and such can happen as you well know now. Just sit back, relax, elevate and ice, ice, ice! :ice:
 
New lock screen wallpaper for icing reminder :ice:

gulfof finland russia.jpg
 
Bumping this... maybe it got too far down the line... anyway...
Last few days I've been getting out, finally can make the stairs, with trouble, and ambled around with the walker in the driveway and (using my precision engineered system of hazard mitigation!) sat in the back yard and tossed the ball to Gunny for an hour. (black Lab) Been moving as much as possible.
Later on today suddenly the muscle from groin down the front of the thigh spasmed, contracted, tied itself in knots, something. Absolutely, positively excruciating 10+++.
Oxy, massage and heat pad and it unwound some but still tight. Gonna see how it is tomorrow.
Anyone else have this happen, and what did you do?

Due to go back Fri. to get tape taken off and start outpt. PT.
 
Try doing gentle stretches several times during the day. Muscles are recovering from all the trauma. Icing may be a better solution to ease this.

Don't forget, hips really don't need PT. Just walking is the best exercise for a new hip.
 
Try doing gentle stretches several times during the day. Muscles are recovering from all the trauma. Icing may be a better solution to ease this.

Don't forget, hips really don't need PT. Just walking is the best exercise for a new hip.
That's what I've been doing, along with the precautions. Getting along-couple times I forgot to grab the walker and I did fine. But I'm not pushing the envelope on this. Had the followup post-op visit and all is 100%. Saw my nice new "spike" in the femur for the first time on the X-ray. I had also read up on the process, materials used, pictures, etc. Pretty cool! Science fiction becomes science fact.
 
For a real treat, try some youtube videos of the surgery :holysheep:

:flabber: A few weeks after my surgery, I did check out an animated version featuring the Hana table used... Been trying to forget it since.:thud:
 
tossed the ball to Gunny for an hour. (black Lab)
We had a black lab we called Gunny for short also. Full name Gunner.

Great news on the post op visit and confirmation that all is 100%. That's always reassuring. :yes:
A great weekend to you!
 
  • Like
Reactions: F9h
1 month post-op... all systems nominal and performing well. Looks like I'll reach a good orbit insertion. (rocket geek talk) The hip's new name is Spike. Bonesmart, meet Spike!
Last blood thinner yesterday. No more freaking compression stockings . Off walker and using cane in public, some at home.
PT is so pleased that they're gonna turn me loose next week. I followed your advice(s) and kept it to a minimum. I walk on it as much as possible but the right knee is so far gone it's excruciating. That's next. Surgeon said 3 months between surgeries so I'm trying to talk him into the end of December. (and before deductibles)
I learned. Have a recliner getting delivered in anticipation of that. My wife bought it for me.
Her care and love has known no bounds! The surgery was worth that alone.
If anyone reads this that's on the fence with surgery, get it done! Best thing I ever did.
Now it's on to the knee replacement forum.
 
@F9h Great update. Glad that hip is healing well!

I agree - get that knee fixed as soon as possible. Limping around is just not fun. Do join us in the knee pre-op forum when you are ready. We will be here for you again.
 
@F9h I enjoy hearing of the names folks give their new parts ... congrats to you and Spike! I named my 2 Hunky and Dory ... as in "everything is hunky dory". My younger son was also a rocket geek ... his favorite tee shirt said "Why yes I am a rocket scientist!" And another one that said "What part of vā‚‘ = √(2GM/R) don't you undertstand?"
 
F9h, I'm a bit late to your thread but wanted to mention that the 10++++ thigh spasms you encountered sound suspicously like ones I had pre-op. My OS ordered me some Anodyne therapy from a home health agency. They came 3 times a week for the month prior to surgery. First session made no difference but by my second session I realized that the spasms were becoming less frequent and intense. Glad to hear you're recovering so well!
 
Happy Two Month Anniversary!
I hope you're enjoying your new recliner in-between getting back to life and all that you love.
Have a nice holiday season and many blessings to you in the New Year!
@F9h
 
Best Wishes for your Right TKR tomorrow!
Hope your recovery is an easy one.
@F9h
 

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom