TKR Knees 1 AND 2 up and running

Audrey, I hope I answered your question in your thread :). I was reluctant to take the gabapentin, but I now swear by it for the sleep purposes.

Day 13. It's been a lovely long weekend. I took a long break on Saturday afternoon, resting in bed reading for 3-4 hours. I've been avoiding the bed except for bedtime, but that rest was worth it. It felt like a "normal" Saturday afternoon after a hard week of work. It's just my "work" right now is mostly reclining.

Things are going well. I live my ΒΌ mile outside walk every day and while I'm walking feel like I could easily walk a lot farther. But when I get back from the walk, my knee is much more swollen and I have to ice and elevate immediately. So I am not adding distance, but focusing on going slowly and improving my gait.

I still have not driven or gone shopping. I've only done a couple of short car rides with my husband. I know I need to start getting out and about more, but I just feel more comfortable puttering around the condo, doing a little cooking, laundry and cleaning (spacing those out between icing like @uva recommended).

Tomorrow is my first outpatient PT appointment, as well as my preop appointment with my PCP (for the second knee on the 20th). Husband is taking me to those appointments, but I really feel I should be driving. I am off the narcotics and think I am safe to drive, but I'm very afraid to try it. I'm new to Columbus traffic anyway, and certainly don't want to put myself or others at risk by driving without full use of my right knee. We are going for a practice drive around the parking lot today-- I'll see how that goes. I'm thinking I could just use Uber to take me to appointments-- I feel guilty asking husband to run back and forth tfr on work. This surgery has really brought home to me how isolated we are here. I miss my support network and friends from Asheville .

Today's blessings-- so many. I'm not in pain. My husband is being so patient and actually reminding me not to overdo (I was so afraid of his "no pain, no gain" stance before surgery). @dianeshelen pillow stack, Josephine's heel slide instructions (PT was trying to get me to use a leg puller for them), all the support and information here. I'm also blessed that my appetite is returning, but not the horrible urge to overeat and snack that I had before surgery. But most of all, friends and family- even from a distance, I feel their love and care.

Blessings--


Shelia
RTKR - 8/23/16
LTKR - 9/20/2016
 
Please do not tag me in the course of general conversation. On average I get between 10 and 15 tags a day so you can imagine that getting to a post and finding I'm not actually needed but that my name has just been mentioned in passing and made into a tag is very irritating and time wasting.

Of course you are all very welcome to tag me if you have a specific question or concern. Those I have no concern about whatsoever. Thanks for understanding.
 
I still have not driven or gone shopping. I've only done a couple of short car rides with my husband. I know I need to start getting out and about more, but I just feel more comfortable puttering around the condo, doing a little cooking, laundry and cleaning
It's still very early days. Your most important jobs right now are to rest, elevate, ice and take your pain meds by the clock.

You really don't need to get out and about more just yet and you shouldn't be cooking or doing any housework. Most people don't start driving until about 4 weeks post-op.
Re-read this article, to see what you should be doing:
Activity progression for TKRs
 
With my RTKR I worried about pushing quickly and hard on a brake pedal and at first just drove short distances. In the end I didn't drive for 10 weeks with all my complications. I went back to work at 12 weeks and since it was a half hour drive my best friend insisted on going with me in case my leg was sore/tired after working the morning. This is what happens when your BFF has had a TKR a year before you!
 
Your walk outside is amazing for early days. I didn't drive for nearly 3 months. Didn't feel able to. Now it's fine. Since you're about to do your other knee anyway there is no rush. And, being in an unfamiliar area why put pressure on yourself...it will be stressful to navigate and stress will impede recovery. Enjoy your walks and, in time, you'll be more comfortable driving in your new environment.
 
Oh my goodness, JP, I am very sorry-- that was thoughtless of me. I surely won't do it again.

Thanks you all -- I am not going to rush the driving at all. No need to put others or myself at risk. I'm trying to navigate the Bonesmart way versus what my patient instruction book tells me. According to the instruction book, during week 3, I should "resume normal activities" (not work). I've had very good success following the Bonesmart instructions so far-- I think I'm just going to put that instruction manual away.

Saw my PCP today, had lab work drawn to clear me for the next surgery. I'm home icing and elevating now. That short trip and waiting in the waiting room really tired me out. I have outpatient PT at 5. I shouldn't have scheduled two "big" events in the same day.




Shelia
RTKR - 8/23/16
LTKR - 9/20/2016
 
Everyone recuperates on their own time frame. If you can lift that right leg and push hard and fast on the brake, go for it. I've driven around Columbus though! :yikes:
 
Thanks, KarriB!

My first outpatient PT was fine, although I did have to stop the new guy from pushing on my knee. My flexion is 117 and extension 0 at 14 days. He said I am doing "awesome" (this is the same guy who threatened me with pain during our preop session). Today my knee feels hotter and tight. The only new exercise he had me do was to stand on one leg (my new knee leg) and hold it for 30 seconds, 5 times. The purpose is to strengthen it in prep for next surgery. It did not hurt at the time but something is different today.

Husband and I went out to eat - A big booth at Outback was the perfect choice-- I was able to keep both my legs up, stretched out in the booth seat. It wasn't a busy night so I didn't feel guilty about reclining while eating.

Day 15 begins. I SO want to ice, but PT guy told me to limit icing to 20 minutes three times a day unless I am in pain or swelling has increased. His rationale was that I need to establish normal blood flow to the area and loosen my muscles as I increase activity around the house. I'm going to try that for 1/2 day. But I've already got the ice machine fired up- I have no intention of messing up what is obviously working.


Shelia
RTKR - 8/23/16
LTKR - 9/20/2016
 
Your knee is tight and hot. Tight means swelling. Hot means inflammation and reaction to the new foreign body hammered into your bone. Your PT is wrong about limiting the ice to 20 minutes 3xday. The bone smart belief is icing for 45-60 minutes at least 4 times a day to alleviate swelling, and reduce pain and to calm down the inflammation. My OS told me to ice and ice and ice. Even at 2+ months he told me that. The ice will reduce the swollen tissues which will then allow blood to flow more easilythru the vessels to your muscles. You might want to check with Josephine on that aspect.
 
117/0! Wow, it took me 11 weeks to get that! Great job. Be careful to not overdo. You already have your ROM and don't really need anymore pt.
 
@sheliac
I think you did too much at PT - because your knee feels hotter and tighter. That new exercise is too much for your new knee.
You can't make it heal faster, just because you want to prepare for the second TKR. It will manage OK. After all, some people have both knees done on the same day, and they manage too.

You do need to ice for longer than 20 minutes. The circulation to your knee is already normal and you won't do any harm if you ice all day long, as long as you have something between your knee and the ice (so you don't get "freezer burn").
 
The purpose is to strengthen it in prep for next surgery. It did not hurt at the time but something is different today.

Most times you don't feel the pain during pt, but you will feel it later and the next day. If the pt asks you to do something that hurts, decline politely. You're right, you don't want to mess up what is already working with a ROM of 117.
 
Thank you all. I went back to my regular icing and elevation by noon yesterday. I had my first pain above a 3 for over a week, and my lower leg became swollen. I took oxycodone and rested most of the afternoon.

I love that, Karri - we can't rush recovery. I am pretty disgusted with the PT guy and myself. I was doing so well, and it only took 30 minutes to do much more harm than good. I woke up during the night with pain at a 7-8-- worse than any pain I've had since surgery. It only lasted about 5 minutes but it scared me.

Today I feel feverish even though my temp is normal. I'm having pain in my hip/femoral area. I just don't feel good "all over". I'm canceling today's PT appointment and going to treat myself like I did the first day post op, including taking oxycodone. I also need to eat. I have been basically living on protein shakes except a few bites of food here and there . I'm taking multivitamins and an iron supplement but need to force myself to eat fresh fruits and veggies and some meat. Everything tastes "off, although it's getting better.

Sorry to complain so much. Let this be a lesson to me and anyone doubting the Bonesmart way. I deviated majorly in PT that one day and I feel knocked back to the beginning. I have been crying this morning and I am not a crier. Ah well, I can stay on track and hopefully be back to feeling great soon.


Shelia
RTKR - 8/23/16
LTKR - 9/20/2016
 
So sorry that you are having a "zag" (downturn) as opposed to a "zig" (upturn) in this zigzag recovery pattern. I had a zag day Tuesday, for no real reason. Cancel that PT until you zig back up, and then make sure they don't hurt you. Too many people here seem to succumb to the pt nazis . I hope I remind myself of my own good intentioned advice when its my turn. Rest, Ice, Elevate. Get you zig back. :)
 
Thank you, Diane. That's a good term the zag! I cancelled that appointment - relief! I'm in my soft robe and jammies with my best friend (ice machine) running. I may not even shower today.


Shelia
RTKR - 8/23/16
LTKR - 9/20/2016
 
I hope taking it easy today helps you to get back on track. It is so easy when someone's giving you directions and you believe in their expertise. My first pt group had me doing squats at 3 weeks out and although I didn't know the BS way, I knew what hurt. I'm a wuss and don't like pain, that's what saved me. Of course I let them put heat on my knee along with a weight too, not thinking how it would increase swelling. My 2nd pt group didn't do anything like that, I was so grateful they were gentle and encouraging.
 
Be sure to tell the PT about the extended pain you had and that you need to go easier this next time.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom