TKR Knees 1 AND 2 up and running

So happy your first week's been a pleasant surprise! I hope the rest is as smooth for you! The ice machine is the best!!!~best invention ever!!! :)
 
@sheliac so happy things are going well for you! Don't worry about the brain fog- definitely due to energy drain and meds! Continued success to you!


Mercedes Z - RTKR Aug 15th
 
Wow, I'm so impressed at the walking. The few steps I've taken so far feel like walking is some difficult foreign activity. Good to hear it normalized for you!
 
Amazing recovery. I am just beginning to feel like doing more around the house. I have been shopping once, at 2 weeks, out to lunch twice, with no problems. I hope your recovery continues in the same fashion.
 
Wow, I feel like such a loser. Cant even imagine leaving my house/ice/recliner yet at 2 weeks today. @FlaGranny you are amazing. You have 10 years on me, and you are almost like a real person, as I sit strapped to my chair *sigh* oh well hope to see the outside world again someday

@greatlakes I know just how you feel re walking with this strange new log where a leg used to be

@sheliac you are another great amazing recovery
 
@dianehelen. Sweetie! You are not a loser! We all recover at different rates. Consider yourself a bottle of wine. You just need more time to get REALLY fine! Boy that was corny! LOL. Can I still blame it on the meds? Hang in there girlie!!!


@sheliac. You are doing amazing. Such an inspiration for me and others!!!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Ahh thank you @karena71 maybe I'm suffering wine withdrawal. Not taking much oxy, but dont feel ready to drink, so maybe I'll take your advice and consider ME being the wine, or maybe just "whine" ;-)

How are you progressing, today is 1 week for you
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Shoot Diane, it was over a month before I went anywhere! I couldn't even go out on the deck without someone around to make sure I was OK. That's how chicken I was! My first shower without someone here was around 6 weeks, so you are not slow. You're are careful. That's much better than being careless!
 
My therapist warned me that my next knee may be totally different. And she said that I should expect some down days/issues. We are all so different and had different degrees of damage going in. I've been blessed so far. But I rest a WHOLE LOT and don't do any extra exercises. I think having a PT person who believes in NO PAIN has been a true gift. I also think the same day specialty surgicenter contributed a lot to me not suffering like I expected. They were so proactive about pain control that I never got traumatized by a huge amount of pain . Getting home within 24 hours and being in control of how much I moved and when was a big plus.

I have a lot of moments when I think I'm not doing enough. I can't imagine getting on a bike. Or shopping ? No way could I go to a store and walk around. The thought terrifies me.


Shelia
RTKR - 8/23/16
LTKR - 9/20/2016
 
How encouraging! I go in this Friday, Sept 2nd for a revision. I really needed to hear something positive because I think I am going to be like you were! Then, in * weeks I have to go back for the other knee. I do not have a good experience the first time around. I have a really good revisionist now but super nervous :yikes:
 
@dianehelen. I don't want to butt in on seliacs thread so I'll just say I'm having a very good day today. Tomorrow may not be the case but I'm enjoying today. You will be soon too! Before you know it.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
gabapentin makes me a zombie and contributed to my brain fog. I couldn't read for a long time, and could hardly string a sentence together....that was post op general fog....for weeks. It seems that lots of us have it, maybe all of us. I frequently forget tv shows....not to worry!
Oh, and neurontin is the same as gabapentin.
Sounds like your recovery is pretty much on target.
 
Ughh @Riley why dou you need a revision, and on 2 knees? Ughh I'm so sorry, that's gotta be rough
My first surgeon did not put in the right size spacers. He also did not test me for a nickel allergy. On a side note, he also left me with permanent nerve damage, but there isn't anything that can be done about that. I have never got better, in fact, just got sicker and in more pain as time went on. My nickel allergy is one of the highest that my new surgeon has seen and it is making me very ill and in a lot of pain. We need to start all over. Not happy and very scared.
 
oh damm Im so very sorry. I can totally understand your fear. I hope with all my heart you have a good revision surgeon and you can get on the right road to recovery.
 
At one point I was like you, I could not see the light at the end of the tunnel. But it seems that
I am getting there. Even after a month taking a shower made my day. It's true that they let me out of the hospital and I was animic so maybe that explains it. But you are doing so very good and you do whatever you feel you want to do and that's it. Anesthesia and pain pills can be hard on the system and sometimes it takes a while before you feel like your old self.
 
Don't worry too much about the brain fog! Ingot teased about mine a bit! Apparently when I was in the recovery area the nurses called my husband so we could talk. We carried on a nice conversation...I guess! But, until Dan said something about that 3 days after I got home (7days after TKR), I had no recollection of it at all! None! And for the first week or so I apparently forgot questions we had discussed, too, bringing them back up a day later and asking the same questions again. Oy! So, I just figured it comes with the territory!
 
Your revision date is almost here, glad you can get the first knee done with soon. I'll be watching your thread to see how it goes. Best wishes, and cheering for a good outcome.
 
Good morning, Smarties. Riley , I am so very sorry you have to go through all this. I am praying for you right now.

Thanks for the brain fog support! I will just ride it out and enjoy "new" shows and books.

I have a limp when walking - the PT told me to slow down and focus on heel down, toe down steps and my gait. When I go slowly, I don't have a limp, but I'm talking very slowly. Yesterday during one of my 10 minute walks (round and round the condo), I put a book on my head, like in the old "prepare for pageant days". It seemed to help me walk faster without the limp. Does anybody know if I am damaging something by doing this? It's not a heavy book.

One other question - my bruising on thigh is, of course, pretty big. But on the inner thigh I have a solid white spot about the size of a band aid, and close to it, another white spot the size of a dime. The areas are the same temp as the surrounding skin and have feeling. But they just look alarming to me. I was afraid it was frostbite cause that's what the whiteness looks like, but since they are warm and have feeling I don't think that is what it is. I've been diligent about insulating under ice pad, but when my machine was down, the regular ice bags could have had cold spots. I can try and post a pic.


Shelia
RTKR - 8/23/16
LTKR - 9/20/2016
 
[Bonesmart.org] Knees 1 AND 2 up and running

This is a pic of the white spots


Shelia
RTKR - 8/23/16
LTKR - 9/20/2016
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom